Virtual zones

Userlevel 1
As per my 8 year old thread - http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=14604 I would like virtual zones - for example, an upstairs zone or downstairs, or outside so I can quickly get the music I want to the areas I want.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Time to bring this back to the top of the list. 
This really is a must have feature
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I would like to see this type of feature implemented, it would be much more useful to me than, say, moving tracks around in the queue.

I am often grouping/ungrouping/re-grouping players depending on who is in the house, what time of day, how the house is being used
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
as a workaround, for anyone using a IOS check out 'Sonosequencr' on the app store. Provides some easy options via custom made 'macros' for creating and switching between virtual zones. Only problem is that it is not part of the Sonos app so you have to switch between apps.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Nice find - shame there is no Android equivalent
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Nice find - shame there is no Android equivalent

I haven't tried on android but I read that Macronos now integrates with Tasker so some more automation is possible but I'm not sure how far you can go with it.
Check out https://sites.google.com/a/youtec.dk/macronos/home/tasker-locale-plugin
+1... I have a 20-zone install. Playbars, Connect:amps, and Connects throughout. I need to suplement an external area with a couple of play:1s which I already have, and another area with a pair of play:5s... however its a pain as I cant have them be "part" of the connect:amp zone automatically... i need to add them everytime....
Sonos launches new software versions with absolutely irrelevant changes rather than worrying about features desired for years.
1) set up several groups
2) do not lose group settings when disconnected from power
3) volume adjustment per speaker (e.g. in EQ)

It looks like that no more than one person is working in software development, but many in the marketing ...
Development prioritization at Sonos has always been a mystery. Super niche areas like the Spotify interface or the option to downgrade from Sonosnet to plain Wi-Fi get top attention while items such as virtual zones and persistent groups that would benefit a huge majority of users continue to be ignored.
+1

Has someone somewhere found an official response why this hasn't been developed yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Development prioritization at Sonos has always been a mystery. Super niche areas like the Spotify interface or the option to downgrade from Sonosnet to plain Wi-Fi get top attention while items such as virtual zones and persistent groups that would benefit a huge majority of users continue to be ignored.

I wouldnt call the Spotify Interface 'Super Niche' - Spotify has the largest premium (paid) subscription user base of any music service in the world so Im sure it must represent a pretty large section of Sonos customers. The native Spotify interface has moved on massively in the last 2 years yet has stood still on Sonos so many features are unavailable. The ones in beta are still only a step in the right direction towards feature parity but any progress is sure to help sales.

However, I would agree with you about the rest and prioritization being something of a mystery. Its a shame the 'Ideas' voting concept has been dropped from this new site. It was the only way to gauge the weight of user opinion and now we have to trust sonos alone to decide where to steer their ship
Any news on virtual zones within 6.0 ?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Any news on virtual zones within 6.0 ?!

nope. nada.
Why would there be? Sonos have resolutely ignored this request, they're hardly likely to just spring it on you with no previous indication that they were working on it (such as a beta program).
still looking for this and still no answer from SONOS 😕
Userlevel 2
Badge
Bump, looking for this as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have any news right now on this, but we appreciate the feedback. There are some great ideas here.
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have any news right now on this, but we appreciate the feedback. There are some great ideas here.

So you guys are finally going to pick this up? 😃
Hey guys,

So you guys are finally going to pick this up? :D

Yes, less than 24 hours later, on a Saturday, they made a decision to go from "no news" to implementing this feature. Not only that, but miracle of miracles, they've also decided to forego their decade old policy of not talking about future features and are announcing this one prior to the public beta. Hooray! :rolleyes:
waiting for this great feature that will be virtual zones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
waiting for this great feature that will be virtual zones.

If you hold your breath then the feature you crave will be implemented much quicker
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes it would be so useful to be able to save groups. Being obliged to group and ungroup all the time is really annoying ! That seems so easy to program, I don't understand neither why sonos hasn't made it yet...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Giving this very old thread a nice bump as this is something I really wish they would implement also. This would be especially nice now that we have voice control for our devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Giving this very old thread a nice bump as this is something I really wish they would implement also. This would be especially nice now that we have voice control for our devices.

Hi rhett7660,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll send along a feature request to add saved groups to the Sonos app.
I'm not really clear what is being requested here? Do you want a set of pre-defined groups where any given speaker can only be in one group? (If a speaker was in multiple groups and each group was playing something different what would the speaker common to both groups be playing?)

Should speakers be allowed to be in more than one group and just get excluded from the second group if they are already busy playing something in the first group?

Should a group override whatever is playing by pulling any speakers it needs from an already playing group and put them into the newly requested second group?

Should any already playing group just be stopped and the group completely ungrouped to free up speakers for the new request? (will likely tick off whoever was listening to the first group).

It would be good to know exactly what you are asking the save groups to do.