Android Controllers and Setup, past the CR100 brick

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
As many of us are being thrown off of our CR100's, and forced onto an external third party device, please use this thread to say what device you will use or have tried, and advise what settings and configurations make it work.

Please keep it on topic, use the "Save the CR100" thread to put the world to rights on the bricking of our functioning devices.

Life must go on, The CR100 will die, lets try to help each other find our best solution.

To start,

I have just purchased a Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, 7" screen so similar overall size to the controller, ordered through Tesco Direct, very fast service available in 3 hours from ordering.

Tesco added a discount so got it for £62, although They advertised it as the Tab 4 7" which is actually a different unit with slightly higher res and should retail at £99 rather than £69 anyway its fine at the right price. both run Android 7.0

So set it up with no security as I don't want a pin entry each time I pick it up.

Installed Sonos from Google play and allowed Sonos net connections and connected straight to my system.

Then set the sonos options to "Show lock screen controls" and "Show Volume on Home screen"

Set the Android screen saver to Clock (its a bit too small compared to the Controller) but can be shown when docked (charging), so leave the unit on and it blacks out to a clock, can be digital or analogue.

One downside of this particular device is the micro usb charging port is not central, so Belkin docks wont work, so the cradle/dock could be an issue!? Any ideas?

Leave the Sonos app running and it comes out of the lock screen into Sonos.

Without a proper cradle its not so easy to directly compare, sometime touching the display unlocks, othertimes I need to press the side power button.

If you touch the button it goes to the home screen, which needs a swipe to unlock, a nice touch, if sonos is playing and running, then the home screen wallpaper is the artwork.

On the home screen are quick access play,stop and skip but no volume, there is a tiny expander arrow that opens up a menu that has a button to change volume, but thats way too complex, easier to double tap the quick access area and it opens the sonos app to show you the zone with volume control, art, queue etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The CR100 PSU is 6V/3.8A. USB is 5V. You could fry the tablet.
Maybe the kindle Fire could live up to its name 😉 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
if/when I remove the cradle, there will be a wire left behind sticking out of the wall. I'd like to look at reusing that to power a replacement dock/cradle rather than have to cut & dig into the walls & make good afterwards.
The CR100 PSU is 6V/3.8A. USB is 5V. You could fry the tablet.

Obviously I was planning fit whatever appropriate PSU in place of the original... 😳 - just leave the wire in the wall... the PSU isn't sealed up inside the wall too, that was left accessible underneath the sink vanity unit, and could be changed quite easily, as could the jack plug on the end if it's not the right size (most likely any new tablet would need a mini-USB plug)...
Obviously I was planning fit whatever appropriate PSU in place of the original... 😳 - just leave the wire in the wall
Okay. Just checking.

any new tablet would need a mini-USB plug)...

Micro USB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
YIKES! - I never realised how grubby the camera makes that look!... - the thing doesn't look anything like as tatty as the photo would suggest... - but I guess I'm going to go & break out the Mr. Sheen now!... :S
I assumed you'd re-textured the CR to blend in with the tiles.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'm in the habit of removing it from its cradle & taking it into the bath... so it gets covered in soapy fingermarks...
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'm in the habit of removing it from its cradle & taking it into the bath... so it gets covered in soapy fingermarks...

However, I have started experimenting with a replacement option...

a) I HATE visible wires... however with a retrofit, there's no way I'm about to start hacking into the wetroom walls
b) The frame was a spare cheapo plastic photo frame that I had lying around, and isn't quite big enough

this is my first endeavour at using one of my old spare iPads as a sonos controller in one of the bathrooms. The frame isn't purpose made, I took my Dremel to an old spare photo frame. it's only just big enough, and that lead to a couple of problems;
The old style Apple 30-pin connector is too close to the frame edge to be able to bend the cable 90-degrees & keep it inside, so I had no choice other than to make a hole in the frame & lead the power cable straight out. I've subsequently ordered a couple of 90 degree offset Apple charge cables, however the bulk of the body of the plug is just as big (if not bigger), so it's no better fit unfortunately. Also I had to make a cutout for the home button.

When the weather gets a bit nicer & I can get back out into the workshop (It's currently snowed in!), I think I'll try & construct a frame from scratch with better dimensions, & perhaps fit a USB socket flush to the frame edge so I can have no visible wires leading out of it. I wanted to be able to charge it without removing it from the wall if possible (it's held on with velcro). Currently when it needs charge I take a powerbank to it & charge it from that.

In this scenario I don't mind the lack of screen rake - flat against the wall is fine, since I use it when lying down in the bath, so it's right at eye level.

The software is "SonoPad" rather than the official Sonos app, and it's set in guided access mode. Unfortunately with this particular frame design I have no access to the physical volume buttons (also something to change for version 2), so I have to use the touchscreen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
So I figure converting just about any phone/tablet to wireless charging should be pretty cheap & easy, using an aftermarket receiver like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Receiver-Wireless-Charging-Cellphone/dp/B01EHQ1ZWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519136023&sr=8-1&keywords=qi+receiver or any number of others like it... Then we need a nice wall-mountable dock with a QI charging pad built in...
Badge +2
I realise this is not an Android solution but the Logi Base https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/base-ipad-pro-stand provides a reliable charging station that is better than the CR100 cradle as it grips by magnets. Unfortunately, you need an ipad pro to take advantage of it and the ipad pro is not as good as the CR100 if you want to lay it down at the bath side. Better than wireless charging though. Long live the CR100.
I rarely use the Sonos app to play music anymore, though it's installed on three tablets and two phones. Alexa has gotten so good at recognition that she rarely misses an artist/album combo that I ask her to play, or one of the five or six stations i listen to. No MMI is more natural than voice.

I did get the iPort, but frankly it's just easier and faster to use voice. I greatly preferred the Sonos app to the CR100, so rarely used it (just dragged it out of storage recently). Won't miss the CR100, and probably won't often use the iPort. Alexa is my preference, and will only get better and even more convenient.

Userlevel 3
Badge
I rarely use the Sonos app to play music anymore, though it's installed on three tablets and two phones. Alexa has gotten so good at recognition that she rarely misses an artist/album combo that I ask her to play, or one of the five or six stations i listen to. No MMI is more natural than voice.

I did get the iPort, but frankly it's just easier and faster to use voice. I greatly preferred the Sonos app to the CR100, so rarely used it (just dragged it out of storage recently). Won't miss the CR100, and probably won't often use the iPort. Alexa is my preference, and will only get better and even more convenient.

Alexa can't be used for your own selections from your NAS.
Why are you posting this here, it's not relevant? This is how to set up alternatives that are something like the CR100 for people who want something NOW.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
May be old news but I just read about the Lightphone 2 tonight which looks quite "Sonosy".

Why are you posting this here, it's not relevant? This is how to set up alternatives that are something like the CR100 for people who want something NOW.

So i guess you missed the part about the iPort, then... :8
Although not directly affected by the upcoming changes (as I do not own a CR100 myself) I've been following the related threads closely.
It seems to me that what is lacking in terms of alternative Sonos hardware controlers is a waterproof (or at least IP6x certified) device with hardware buttons, a scrollwheel and (preferably) a touchscreen input for when not standing in the shower.:8
Apart from the scrollwheel a dedicated waterproof Raspberry Pi or customized Android device might do the trick here. Maybe dismantling an old, defect CR100 and swap its' inserts for a small PocketPC might even be an option, but this sounds more like a nerdy weekend project to be honest.
Userlevel 1
I wanted to share my use case for the CR100 and how I am replacing it. I am a foster parent of teenagers. Some stay a while and some do not. I need to strongly control the internet and "device" usage in the home as some kids are *very* inappropriate. The CR100 was perfect because I could disable my wifi and still have a CR100 in each of the kids rooms. Now having to get some kind of "device" to replace the CR100 opens up an opportunity for that "*very* inappropriate" stuff.

Here is what I have come up with:
I purchased an inexpensive android phone, docking cradle and protective case for the bedside. I purchased the Motorola Moto E (4th generation) from an ebay vendor for $70 each.

On top of the stock android distribution I have installed an app called "Fully Kiosk Browser & App Lock down"

I disable almost all of the other android and google apps that came pre-installed

I installed the Sonos app.

I allowed the app to connect via SonosNet

Once I was connected to the SonosNet I had the device "forget" my primary network (so it now only connects via SonosNet)

Using the "Fully" I enable "Kiosk mode" so the only app that is available is Sonos and that app auto launches on boot. I also disabled (in "Fully") access to the Notification bar and settings.

Other than a few tweaks within "Fully" and the android OS this solution provides for all of my use cases.

I also applied the above to my old Google Nexus 4 and Google Nexus 5 phones and now have a Sonos Controller in locations that I did not have before.

I tried the Pinning method that Sonos suggests but unless you set the password protection on Android the kids can disable that quickly and easily. With password protection enabled I need to unlock the device all the time. This did not work for me.

I tried several other "app locking" applications but the kids were still able to get to the Settings menu and screw things up. If I ever left the Play Store available I would be totally screwed as they install VPN software to bypass the DNS filters I have in place.

I looked at several "Kiosk" packages and that was the way to go - but the cost of most of them were $50 per year per device. The "Fully" app was ~$7.50 per device, one time fee. Using "Fully" you can still disable the Kiosk mode and return the device to full usability - you just need to know the special gesture and the password. Should someone try and fail the device returns to its locked down Kiosk mode.

I hope that this helps some of you who have seniors in your life that can screw up any device they touch as well as kids you need to manage.

If anyone has a question please feel free to reach out.
Dan
For those paranoid about Alexa "listening in" all the time, there's always the Voice Remote for Echo devices. It requires pushing the Mic button to listen. It can be paired with any Echo device, for the hard buttons to work, but not with Sonos One. The voice control will work with Sonos, though. A nice solution for just $30.

https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01E9AHU8Q/ref=sr_1_1
For those paranoid about Alexa "listening in" all the time, there's always the Voice Remote for Echo devices. It requires pushing the Mic button to listen. It can be paired with any Echo device, for the hard buttons to work, but not with Sonos One. The voice control will work with Sonos, though. A nice solution for just $30.

https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01E9AHU8Q/ref=sr_1_1

Now, if we could only have Dot default to controlling a nominated Sonos player (volume, play/pause, etc) that would make this remote really useful.
Userlevel 3
Badge

So i guess you missed the part about the iPort, then... :8

Yes - really helpful telling us about something else that doesn't work with NAS............:8
Userlevel 3
Badge
As many of us are being thrown off of our CR100's, and forced onto an external third party device, please use this thread to say what device you will use or have tried, and advise what settings and configurations make it work.

Please keep it on topic, use the "Save the CR100" thread to put the world to rights on the bricking of our functioning devices.

Life must go on, The CR100 will die, lets try to help each other find our best solution.

To start,

I have just purchased a Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, 7" screen so similar overall size to the controller, ordered through Tesco Direct, very fast service available in 3 hours from ordering.

Tesco added a discount so got it for £62, although They advertised it as the Tab 4 7" which is actually a different unit with slightly higher res and should retail at £99 rather than £69 anyway its fine at the right price. both run Android 7.0

So set it up with no security as I don't want a pin entry each time I pick it up.

Installed Sonos from Google play and allowed Sonos net connections and connected straight to my system.

Then set the sonos options to "Show lock screen controls" and "Show Volume on Home screen"

Set the Android screen saver to Clock (its a bit too small compared to the Controller) but can be shown when docked (charging), so leave the unit on and it blacks out to a clock, can be digital or analogue.

One downside of this particular device is the micro usb charging port is not central, so Belkin docks wont work, so the cradle/dock could be an issue!? Any ideas?

Without a proper cradle its not so easy to directly compare, sometime touching the display unlocks, othertimes I need to press the side power button.

If you touch the button it goes to the home screen, which needs a swipe to unlock, a nice touch, if sonos is playing and running, then the home screen wallpaper is the artwork.

On the home screen are quick access play,stop and skip but no volume, there is a tiny expander arrow that opens up a menu that has a button to change volume, but thats way too complex, easier to double tap the quick access area and it opens the sonos app to show you the zone with volume control, art, queue etc.

Bit the bullet and did the exact same as this - sorted but not happy.:8
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

To start,

Bit the bullet and did the exact same as this - sorted but not happy.:8

Can either of you advise whether the device you have bought is the Lenovo Tab3 7 Essential - which according to various retailers runs on "Lollipop"? I can find no such thing as a Tab4 7" - the Tab4 seems to start at 8". Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, on offer at Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8242523?cmpid=GS001}&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200223050|agid:12488287490|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-437799066444|crid:66128552450|nw:g|rnd:17859663352415267395|dvc:t|adp:1o3|mt:|loc:9046135&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9LVBRDOARIsAGqoVns_pj4ZIT6YpY-2xaTmtSlrZfqWtBK0Zvj2eCx43spR9RisCwDa6OwaAqLOEALw_wcB
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, on offer at Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8242523?cmpid=GS001}&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200223050|agid:12488287490|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-437799066444|crid:66128552450|nw:g|rnd:17859663352415267395|dvc:t|adp:1o3|mt:|loc:9046135&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9LVBRDOARIsAGqoVns_pj4ZIT6YpY-2xaTmtSlrZfqWtBK0Zvj2eCx43spR9RisCwDa6OwaAqLOEALw_wcB

Thanks very much. Picked one up today, will be interesting to compare to the Amazon Fire 7's i've also used as replacements.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So, played with the Lenovo a bit last night.
First impressions are that "pinning" the app is pretty useless because it tells you on the screen how to turn it off. My attempts at making it require a password / PIN code if you DO turn it off have resulted in it asking for the PIN code every time youwake it up. What I'm trying to do is have it so no unlock code is required to use the tablet, but that it is "locked" to the Sonos app - with a code being required only if you want to exit that app.

The reason is that I want to leave this lying around and don't want the kids using it for anything other than Sonos. Maybe if I set up a user profile that only contains the Sonos app? Anyone know if that would work - I mean can you delete everything else?

Anyone who can suggest a solution?

In the meantime, off to look into a case for the back of it, so that I can hide a wireless charging receiver between it and the device. My plan is to get round the docking station issue by using a Qi charging receiver that plugs into the mini usb and is hidden by the case, so I can just leave it sitting on the charging pad. Anyone with experience of this?

Thanks
First impressions are that "pinning" the app is pretty useless because it tells you on the screen how to turn it off. My attempts at making it require a password / PIN code if you DO turn it off have resulted in it asking for the PIN code every time youwake it up. What I'm trying to do is have it so no unlock code is required to use the tablet, but that it is "locked" to the Sonos app - with a code being required only if you want to exit that app.

The reason is that I want to leave this lying around and don't want the kids using it for anything other than Sonos. Maybe if I set up a user profile that only contains the Sonos app? Anyone know if that would work - I mean can you delete everything else?

In the meantime, off to look into a case for the back of it, so that I can hide a wireless charging receiver between it and the device. My plan is to get round the docking station issue by using a Qi charging receiver that plugs into the mini usb and is hidden by the case, so I can just leave it sitting on the charging pad. Anyone with experience of this?

Thanks

If you intend to leave the tablet in a charger, there is an option that will allow the pinned screen to stay on with no need to unlock as long as the tablet in on the charger. To activate, you need to enable Developers Options:

https://www.greenbot.com/article/2457986/android/how-to-enable-developer-options-on-your-android-phone-or-tablet.html

Then you need to go into the Developers Options menu and select the option to Stay Awake while charging.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks

If you intend to leave the tablet in a charger, there is an option that will allow the pinned screen to stay on with no need to unlock as long as the tablet in on the charger. To activate, you need to enable Developers Options:

https://www.greenbot.com/article/2457986/android/how-to-enable-developer-options-on-your-android-phone-or-tablet.html

Then you need to go into the Developers Options menu and select the option to Stay Awake while charging.

Thanks.
I've already done as you suggest on the Kindle Fires that I purchased, but haven't tried it on the Lenovo. Issue I have is that one member of the family doesn't like the fact that the device screen is on all the time 🙂. Keeps her awake apparently.

Feedback on the other thread dealing with these issues suggests that using a "Kiosk" app might offer the full flexibility that I want on the Lenovo at least. Whilst the same app can run on the Kindle, a read of the Developer's website saysquite a few of the key features will not work on the Kindle.