why is the app so bad these days ?

I’ve had Sonos in my house since around 2015 and I’ve noticed the app has, in the last few years, become less and less reliable. It’s gotten to the point where if I want to listen to music I have to tickle the app (by accessing it then shutting it down a few times) around 20-30 mins before it will actually find my system. I can be standing a metre from my router and one of the speakers and it still can’t find it. I give up trying, come back in half an hour or so and it’s finally managed to find it. 

So essentially it takes 20+ mins for the app to turn on. It was never like this until a few years ago. What’s changed ?

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Had this happen last week so unplugged the router & it was back straight away. You shouldn’t have to this however, just might be a quicker solution for next time. 

I did try that a few times, but as you say, it should not have to be this way. And judging by the number of similar threads on this forum and recent 1 star reviews on the App Store, I’m very much not a unique case. 

I’m just wondering what happened to make the app this bad. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I think there’s a lot more wifi devices and interference happening these days. 
Setting one of channels 1, 6 or 11 for your wifi, having different SSID’s for 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi frequencies, and allocating ip addresses for your Sonos devices can make a big difference for many owners. 

I’m sure there is a fix, and that I’ll eventually find it. I’m not in IT but I’m moderately handy when it comes to stuff like this. 

My question is why are A LOT of people having issues these days ? You could argue that people have a lot of WiFi enabled devices in their homes these days, but in my case this has not changed much during the time I’ve had Sonos. It at all. The product is sold as plug and play, essentially, but if it takes knowledge of WiFi channels, 2.4 vs 5ghz etc, to get the system to be reliable then it can’t really be classed as such. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“I think there’s a lot more wifi devices and interference happening these days” looks to me to be the answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s not just what’s in your household. Even a replacement electronic device might emit noise that the original item didn’t. What about your neighbours? Passing vehicles and pedestrians? There’s a heck of a lot more stuff out there. 

It’s not just what’s in your household. Even a replacement electronic device might emit noise that the original item didn’t. What about your neighbours? Passing vehicles and pedestrians? There’s a heck of a lot more stuff out there. 

All considerations that I dont need to take with other products that use my WiFi network, because they just work. 

Like is said, something has changed with the Sonos app or the software in general. It was never this bad when I first got the speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In your first post you asked, “What’s changed ?” 

I now conclude that was a rhetorical question since you’re disregarding anything I say. 

I’m sorry your system is so unreliable. Mine’s fine. I hope you find a way to fix yours: good luck. 

In your first post you asked, “What’s changed ?” 

I now conclude that was a rhetorical question since you’re disregarding anything I say. 

I’m sorry your system is so unreliable. Mine’s fine. I hope you find a way to fix yours: good luck. 

It wasn’t rhetorical. I was thinking this forum might have been able to shed light on a change in the software that I wasn’t aware of. Hence the “what’s changed”.

Also in my first post I said that nothing had changed in my house regarding WiFi connected items and the system used to work absolutely fine, therefore it has to be something within the system, or like you say, an outside influence. Which I’m not ruling out, however if that’s the case then it is out of my control and I “just have to live with it”

Which is to say that Sonos is no longer fit for purpose and I’ll have to move to a better system if this is the case. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Quickben, selling sounds like a better idea for you than trying to figure out the issue and fix it.

For folks interested in fixing issues the WiFi portion of the Support FAQ has some good information. Once you have done the basics and are still seeing issues a diagnostic and call to support to have your hidden internal data looked at is usually in order.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection