Skip to main content
Answered

When will Sonos Playlist be back?

Can you let us know when Sonos Playlist will be available in the new app?

49 replies

They should at least give us the old app which is working and fix the new one.  

like they say why change something that is already working.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Just looking to be sure it in in scope for future update at some scheduled time.  I have not been able to get that information.

Just looking to be sure it in in scope for future update at some scheduled time.  I have not been able to get that information.

There is a thread here with the OP by Sonos listing what we can expect in the next month or two. As well as this page here.

But there is nothing about playlists. My expectation is they could come back sometime between the next update and never.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I tried chat, but no one responded.  I looked away as I can't start at the chat forever and when I came back it was closed.  I wish someone from Sonos would reply to this questions.  They say they moderate it but I’ve never see a response from Sonos to my posts.  :( 

There’s a 2 hour wait for support, it would be best if you adjust your expectations for a response here. 

I have a very large Sonos system more than 20 speakers. I have three full rooms with ARC base multiple ones one SL‘s threes five and very often when I open up the app. It says it can’t connect or doesn’t see any speakers at all and I play with it for however, long it takes Close open the app boost. I reconnect the boost all my speakers show up when I go to my routers app and it shows some Sonos devices connected, but it won’t play. I’ve turned my phone on and off. I’ve turned the app on and off new app seems to be better, but it’s still not right for my system. Any help would be welcome . 

Userlevel 2

The release notes referenced above are crap - no detail and not comprehensive - lots of unanswered questions or just sonos apologists.   

It is past mid June - no word on status….

my 5 sonos ports and 40 speaker system is not really usable - yeah I can select some bs radio channel but can’t manage my local library, playlists, integrations with doorbell, etc.

Tried chat, calling in - no support - hell, I should send sonos a bill for the disaster they created for my time spent to try and get this working again….getting to to the point of just scrapping sonos and looking for alternative that works….

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Your 40 speaker system? On a system that can support up to 32 speakers?

Userlevel 2

Yes - if you are being genuine and not just being an ass -  5 ports connected to multiple 16 channel Niles amplifiers connected at least 40 speakers across my home.  Had to do some creative rca cabling.  But yes.  And integrated into alexia and ubuity protect products.

again not usable via sonos anymore after a 3rd grade level app upgrade.  When will playlists, local libraries, network management / share managed and all the other capabilities be native in the iOS Sonos app as they were before?  Please answer that question.  

Userlevel 2

Not a complete picture but the previous email rubbed me the wrong way - sort of a view 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Thought I’d check in to see whether there is any further word from Sonos to indicate when, if ever, the ability to edit a queue, save the queue as a Sonos playlist and access previously saved Sonos playlists (those created prior to the new app release) will be returned to the Sonos app.

Seems as though we should have heard by now. I had not seen this press release before now… Sonos promised all the way back in April that its new app would make playlists easier to use. Didn’t say it would make playlists vanish. 

Santa Barbara, Calif., April 23, 2024 — Sonos (Nasdaq: SONO) today revealed its most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Anyhow, if there’s more recent info, would love to hear it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thought I’d check in to see whether there is any further word from Sonos to indicate when, if ever, the ability to edit a queue, save the queue as a Sonos playlist and access previously saved Sonos playlists (those created prior to the new app release) will be returned to the Sonos app.

Seems as though we should have heard by now. I had not seen this press release before now… Sonos promised all the way back in April that its new app would make playlists easier to use. Didn’t say it would make playlists vanish. 

Santa Barbara, Calif., April 23, 2024 — Sonos (Nasdaq: SONO) today revealed its most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Anyhow, if there’s more recent info, would love to hear it.

Same here.  Been trying to get an answer to this for a month.  Future release notes are vague.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

The waiting is the hardest part…
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Official answer on Sonos Playlists… No ETA.  They will be back, but nobody knows when.  Also got into Chat immediately this morning.  First time since new app release, was alway #27 or so in line.  Support has surely been overwhelmed from the new app, so be nice when dealing with them.  Sonos Support was extremely helpful getting my Sonos update working.  For some reason I could not update or submit diagnostic also kept failing with network error, but my network is fine and enabled for Sonos.  Had to unplug each speaker/amp/boost for 10 seconds, got my steps in running round house.  Updates still gave error but finally said everything was up to date.

Playlists disappeared? Ouch. I liked Sonos and my Fives so much, but playlists made it all fly. Thought maybe it was my android but the new app downloaded to iPad is no different. Tech support wants access to my device. No thanks. Maybe someone will post their own Sonos playlists are actually working?

Userlevel 1

Speaking to dealer support now, Playlists have no ETA for getting fixed. Disappointing considering how many customers we have using this feature and are considering their inability to use this feature they spent hundreds of hours building, now a useless product since they don’t typically just play album after album.

I think, if I understand it properly, it’s only the ability to modify playlists that is temporarily impacted. I’m playing my playlist from before the v80 update daily, although I’ve not tried or needed to modify it. 

As an aside, as a scheduler associated with lots of code teams, it’s rather hard to define how long new code will take (especially in my world) if it’s not been written before. Engineerrs can say ‘I think it will take this long, if I don’t run in to any issues’, and then invariably run in to issues that requires more time. Sonos has a tradition of not laying out timelines which will inevitably not be met, which, as painful as it is, I support. I am assured it is being worked on, as soon as it is ready, it will be released. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I think, if I understand it properly, it’s only the ability to modify playlists that is temporarily impacted. I’m playing my playlist from before the v80 update daily, although I’ve not tried or needed to modify it. 

As an aside, as a scheduler associated with lots of code teams, it’s rather hard to define how long new code will take (especially in my world) if it’s not been written before. Engineerrs can say ‘I think it will take this long, if I don’t run in to any issues’, and then invariably run in to issues that requires more time. Sonos has a tradition of not laying out timelines which will inevitably not be met, which, as painful as it is, I support. I am assured it is being worked on, as soon as it is ready, it will be released. 

It’s not just in ability to edit Sonos Playlists, it is the inability to see, access, play them.  They are completely gone from the new app.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just popped-back to see if there was any news myself.  The new app is more-or-less unusable and I am using third party apps (iOS). Thank goodness for those!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Just popped-back to see if there was any news myself.  The new app is more-or-less unusable and I am using third party apps (iOS). Thank goodness for those!

I gave up and use a third party app as well.  Will try the new app again in six months or so to see if it improves. 

Since installing the new application (V80) on my Android phone, I no longer have access to "Sonos Favorites" or "Recently Listened to".
I therefore no longer have access to my playlists, I cannot create new ones or modify the existing ones.
It is very regrettable that it is not possible to return to the previous version which gave all satisfaction.

I contacted Sonos by phone and by Chat but the Sonos services seem unable to offer a troubleshooting solution or give a date for returning to normal.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Since installing the new application (V80) on my Android phone, I no longer have access to "Sonos Favorites" or "Recently Listened to".
I therefore no longer have access to my playlists, I cannot create new ones or modify the existing ones.
It is very regrettable that it is not possible to return to the previous version which gave all satisfaction.

I contacted Sonos by phone and by Chat but the Sonos services seem unable to offer a troubleshooting solution or give a date for returning to normal.

Welcome to the supposed 1% club.  Sonos says we are few that find the new app unacceptable.  99% of their users love it (supposedly). I had the same experience with support.  It is not supports fault that the product team / management refuses to recognize/communicate anything on this topic.  So sad.  

A few of us now use third party apps that give you back access to your play lists.  I use SonoPhone.  Works great.  Not perfect but always works.  Has a lot of cool features…

• all my playlists are quickly easily accessible with one action and load instantly with  no delay.
  • volume change pops up a big number you can see
  • grouping is cool, intuitive drag drop your speakers together or apart.

I received yesterday a response from Patrick Spence, CEO of Sonos, acknowledging some issues with the new Sonos V80 app :

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to me.

I’ve received a great deal of feedback regarding our new app, on both the improvements made, as well as where we fell short. If you are among those for whom the experience is falling short, I want you to know that I hear you. Teams across Sonos are working diligently to address customer concerns as quickly as possible. 

Since launch, we have reintroduced a number of features via updates, including the ability to add and edit alarms, sleep timer settings, add songs to the queue and play next, as well as initial screen reader improvements for iOS VoiceOver that will allow users to more easily navigate the app. We continue to roll out updates regularly, so please ensure your Sonos App and products are all up to date: https://support.sonos.com/article/update-your-sonos-speakers 

Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce local music library search and playback, as well as Update Wi-Fi settings, at the same time that we continue to address bugs and performance issues.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing an issue with your Sonos System, you may find the following resources helpful, and are always welcome to reach out to our support team directly.

Thank you again for being a Sonos customer, and for taking the time to reach out to us to share your feedback. I, and the full team at Sonos are committed to delivering on a Sonos experience that brings the joy of unparalleled sound into your lives every day. Delivering on our promise of an easier, faster and better app experience is fundamental to this aim, and you have my personal word that nothing is more important to us at this time.

Sincerely,

Patrick Spence

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I received yesterday a response from Patrick Spence, CEO of Sonos, acknowledging some issues with the new Sonos V80 app :

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to me.

I’ve received a great deal of feedback regarding our new app, on both the improvements made, as well as where we fell short. If you are among those for whom the experience is falling short, I want you to know that I hear you. Teams across Sonos are working diligently to address customer concerns as quickly as possible. 

Since launch, we have reintroduced a number of features via updates, including the ability to add and edit alarms, sleep timer settings, add songs to the queue and play next, as well as initial screen reader improvements for iOS VoiceOver that will allow users to more easily navigate the app. We continue to roll out updates regularly, so please ensure your Sonos App and products are all up to date: https://support.sonos.com/article/update-your-sonos-speakers 

Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce local music library search and playback, as well as Update Wi-Fi settings, at the same time that we continue to address bugs and performance issues.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing an issue with your Sonos System, you may find the following resources helpful, and are always welcome to reach out to our support team directly.

Thank you again for being a Sonos customer, and for taking the time to reach out to us to share your feedback. I, and the full team at Sonos are committed to delivering on a Sonos experience that brings the joy of unparalleled sound into your lives every day. Delivering on our promise of an easier, faster and better app experience is fundamental to this aim, and you have my personal word that nothing is more important to us at this time.

Sincerely,

Patrick Spence

I believe I had the same response a month ago or more.  Still no mention of Sonos Playlists.  Not on the schedule or in scope.  Its great that the added back the ability to manage the queue better, but who will take the time to create a queue that they cannot save and recall later.  Put in the time to create a queue and throw it away?  Seems pretty short sighted.  I’ll add that listing the playlists and putting in queue seems to me to be a low hanging fruit.  Not sure why it’s taking so long.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

“easier, faster and better app experience”.  Not with this user.