upcoming software update for iOS

• 11 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hello, I have read that there is going to be a new iOS software update and I’m curious to know if the update will continue to allow different aged speakers work on the same platform or will we have a scenario like the original Sonos app and now Sonos two, depending on the age of the product will depend what application it will need to run on. I have many many Sonos speakers throughout my three level home and I already have to run 2 apps for all of my speakers and I do not intend to add one more dollar until I am sure I won’t run into this scenario again.  Thanks for any update as I did plan to add a few smaller speakers with microphone but if more are to marked obsolete then I am done with sonos.  Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

I assume you are asking if Sonos will be updating its OS to what you might call Sonos S3 to run along side S1 and S2 versions. While there may be rumor of a Sonos OS refresh that’s all it is “rumor” until Sonos makes an official announcement.

No one in the community has access to Sonos development/deployment concerning anything Sonos. If they do know they are bound by an NDA as some may participate in a beta.

Also, know that a Sonos refresh is all about Sonos and its products. Apple’s iOS has nothing to do with it. Apple continually makes changes to its iOS and Sonos adjusts as needed; but not to the extent they have to refresh the OS  to another platform. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hello, I have read that there is going to be a new iOS software update and I’m curious to know if the update will continue to allow different aged speakers work on the same platform or will we have a scenario like the original Sonos app and now Sonos two, depending on the age of the product will depend what application it will need to run on. I have many many Sonos speakers throughout my three level home and I already have to run 2 apps for all of my speakers and I do not intend to add one more dollar until I am sure I won’t run into this scenario again.  Thanks for any update as I did plan to add a few smaller speakers with microphone but if more are to marked obsolete then I am done with sonos.  Thanks

Turn off auto updates in the app and on your phone and wait and see what happens. 

Thanks and yes I was referring so possible S3.  And and meant an app that would work on iOS and not specific to iOS itself.  I guess I’ll just keep an eye out to releases notes and hope I don’t have to further split my speakers onto 3 platforms as 2 are plenty.  My oldest speakers still sound great at least to me.  Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’d certainly like to think I’ll be a (maybe radical) update to the S2 app rather than an S3 that’s incompatible with S2. 

The last time Sonos forked the software, they gave a forewarning months ahead of time.  I highly doubt they would spring another one on the users without the same warning.  Also, the last split took place after 15 years of operation with the bare minimum of 32 MB RAM and storage. All newer devices had/have at least double that, and I doubt they filled it up after a mere 4 additional years.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

The last time Sonos forked the software, they gave a forewarning months ahead of time.  I highly doubt they would spring another one on the users without the same warning.  Also, the last split took place after 15 years of operation with the bare minimum of 32 MB RAM and storage. All newer devices had/have at least double that, and I doubt they filled it up after a mere 4 additional years.  

Do you think they could drop products from S2 back into S1, like PLAY3 and PLAY1 ,to keep moving forward with S2 at some point...might upset less people...

Some users are currently struggling with PLAY:3 on S2.

With respect to iOS, I think that the current risk would be that iOS will abandon some older Apple devices.