Skip to main content
Question

Sub control not working after the updating the Sonos app

Hey guys, today there is a new update rolling out for Sonos amp. After updated it , I lost control for my subwoofer. I currently have a 3rd party subwoofer connected to Sonos amp via wire, the app used to give me direct control to the subwoofer, I can turn it on and off. After the update, I can still change the sub level and other settings , it’s just the Sub switch button has no effect at all. Because I can’t manually switch the sub off or it has no effect, now I always have the crossover frequency no matter which setup I am switching to (I have two pairs of speakers connecting to the amp and using a speaker switcher to switch them on and off, one pair has great bass already which I needed to turn the sub output off). 

Is there a way to make it work , if not can i roll back to an earlier build of the app? Maybe this is simply not an issue with the app, but more of a firmware issue which being deployed along with the app update, I have no idea. I tried to restart the app, even reset the whole AMP , disconnect my speaker at all… Nothing works so far, the sub is always there as long as I have it connected. 

Any ideas? It drives me crazy ... 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

I’m having the exact same issue.  Seems like every time they roll out an update something breaks.

Userlevel 1

Mate, I feel the same way.

I have the amp connected to a 3rd party Yamaha sub and has worked a treat for a yr or so until this update.

Bloody p***ed off, sort your s*** out Sonos!!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Add me to the list, there are others experiencing the same issue in r/sonos as well.

No 3rd party sub controls with Amp.

Surely this was an oversight?

Userlevel 1

And the worst thing is I can’t even roll back , which leaves my other speaker setup unusable for now . Can someone from Sonos come here and take some note? If you have the option there, make it work, please!!!

Unacceptable Sonos, did you not test this before releasing a major update!? I own 2 amps and both subwoofers are not showing in the settings. If you sense the speaker or not just leave the settings there.

Same issue here. I have a Connect:AMP and a Sonos AMP and both no longer show the 3rd party subs, the subs are  no longer working and there are no controls listed on the device settings pages. Seems this last update really hosed these settings. Of course, I have two Sonos Subs as well, and of course those still work fine. This is really annoying. Hoping this will get resolved soon. 

Its like the Amps are not detecting the 3rd party Subs being connected. 

I have totally lost the bass from my sub since the update. Has anyone figured out how to sort it out ?

Have also problems with my external sub on Sonos Amp. At first is seemed not to work, when I put the volume higher on the subwoofer it worked. However the app toggle sub on/off does not work. Also the sub leve adjustment does not work. Even with sub toggle off the crossover frequency does respond however. Hmm Sonos you have got some bugs in the latest release. Please fix them!

It’s very frustrating having to listen to music without my sub. If Sonos don’t fix soon I will have sell the Sonos amp and upgrade.

Same issue - no sub output regardless of settings - used to work before app and firmware updates

Userlevel 1

Same issue here. Strangely when the rca cable to the sub is not connected the Sub Menu comes up under the Amp settings. However when the sub is connected the Sub menu disappears. 

The Amp is still outputting to the connected sub but the level cannot be set. When changing the bass under the Amp EQ it definitely changes the level of the sub bass so there is still a basic level of control but of course this affects more than just the bass from the sub.  

A Sonos app and/or Amp software bug that needs to be fixed please sonos

Userlevel 1

Same problem for me.  My “3rd party” B&W siunded great untul this new app -- abysmal.  Sonos has killed my  enjoyment of the system.  Shameful.  Sonos sucks.

Userlevel 1

The least they could do is publish an acknowledgment and assure their customer base that they are working  on a fix.  Have they done that?  Right now they seem like the Boeing Airlines of the electronics world.  My stereo door has fallen off!

The least they could do is publish an acknowledgment and assure their customer base that they are working  on a fix.  Have they done that?  Right now they seem like the Boeing Airlines of the electronics world.  My stereo door has fallen off!

Right above the fold on their Support site:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I have a Sonos sub. Play bar and multiple play speakers. Since the latest update the sub is almost non existent. Even if I try to toggle it on and off it seems to stay at minimal levels. Full volume or off. Bass at 10 or 0. This is so frustrating. All treble no bass. Not my kind of sound. They need to do something to fix this. At least post an acknowledgment. I have a Sonos sub. Not a third party sub. This is not acceptable. 

Sonos amp (latest version). Sub out “works” but the on/off toggle does nothing. Volume does nothing. Phase does nothing Crossover frequency slider works. Third party sub btw. And i now have some low crackling sound from the sub when the tracks are changing on spotify etc. Never had that before the new app. To me it seems like some kind of DSP related bug. 

Badge +1

Echoing @Fa5en  - 

Brand new Sonos Amp attached to speakers and (3rd party of course) subwoofer.  Took 3 attempts just to get the Amp recognized by the system.  Subwoofer plays, but none of the subwoofer controls work.  Volume, crossover, even the subwoofer on/off switch - none of those controls work.

I thought that fix was supposed to come out with the June update.  It is now July 15, all speakers, amps, and controllers fully updated.  Nothing works as it should.  Half the time I can’t see my local music library.  The new Amp sometimes stops playing altogether for no reason.  

Why did I invest in the Sonos system?  It used to be good. It used to be easy, which was important for my wife. Now, as a software engineer, I can’t get it to work. My wife has given up and gives me dirty looks every time she wants to play music or use the Sonos Arc with the TV.

FIX IT.  Better yet, give us back the old working app until you get the new one to actually work.

And a note about the much-vaunted Sonos Ace headphones that started the whole problem.  I was excited for them until I found out that only one with work at a time with Sonos soundbars.  What good is that?  Most of us have spouses and we want to watch together. So, a botched roll-out of a product that is useless to many of us.  Corporate heads at Sonos should roll ….

Userlevel 1

I agree completely.  My third party subwoofer has had the same problem with my amp for the past month, since the horrible new app update -- but started working again several days ago.   However now other problems have popped up -  with the  Line In function, which seems to work erratically.  .

It’s the age-old adage about the tech industry -  hardware companies (like Sonos) have lousy software and software companies have lousy hardware.  But both have outstanding PR departments.

And I agree that the headphones look way overpriced for what they can do.   And let’s not forget the $200 speaker stands!!!

Same here, on/off toggle does nothing. Sub adjustments seem to have no effect at all. Running a Sonos amp and sub mini. Totally useless. Also the new app update erased all my sub and eq settings

Looks like this issue has been seen for just over a year now.

I don't know why they would remove such a basic feature but have found it incredibly annoying. I've had to add an external signal booster and the volume control to make my system usable!

I’ve had this issue on and off for about this past year so far. I have my sub set up with a ray and 2 play 1’s, I have a play 5 in another room so sometimes listen to them together, but often just my sub and speakers in my living room. My sub output varies from next to nothing to everything. My preference is sub level 15, bass 10 treble +2 for music. Bass -2 treble +2 for tv and movies. But it constantly resets itself and won’t adjust or, when watching tv, maxes out the bass which is way too much for tv and movies. My kids have play 1’s in their rooms, and I have the Sonos boost which does actually keep the signal strength up and stops any of my speakers dropping out (I would highly recommend if you’re having that issue). But if Sonos are clearly aware of this issue with the sub output, why aren’t they sorting it?! I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting many times. Setting it up with the play 5 in its own, makes zero difference!  

Userlevel 1

I noticed that a recent NY Times review of various products included Sonos speakers but warned that Sonos have “glitchy”  software.   If the problem catches enough media attention perhaps Sonos will put major effort into creating a proper application.

All I know now is that each time that I want to use my wonderful Fluance turntable/Wharfedale speaker/B&W subwoofer/Sonos amp system I get a nervous trepidation about whether it’s going to work.  I think that Sonos “brand extension” into things like headphones has led to a  general dilution in quality.  It’s a common occurrence for companies chasing broader markets.  I call it  “the CostCo effect”.  

I bought Sonos because of its ‘ease of use’ and good sound. Took me hours to get my subwoofer to work with my Arc. It worked for two months and then the sub got kicked off the network. It’s impossible to get it reconnected. Have tried every trick in the book on the support site. I’m multiple hours in to trying to fix this. What a s***** product, s***** and unintuitive app, and horrific customer experience. I regret my decision to go ‘all in’ on the Sonos ecosystem. Just complete garbage. Now I’m stuck waiting for tech support, who I am confident will not be able to address my issue. Beyond frustrating. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I have to say this is really very poor. From a company that sets itself up as a premium product that isn’t cheap when compared to others to make their products unusable for so long is not ok. I paid a lot of money for my mini to now be a lump of plastic. It’s been months. have sonos even commented? It’s piss poor 

Badge

I see the latest release notes (July 22) mention “Improved Sub audio settings with Amp”. Has anyone been able to check if this fixes our issue?