Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Userlevel 1
The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 June 2019, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@gruntso There are still wireless communication errors showing up. Also the data is not getting to your speakers fast enough. Your Sonos system is on a busy wireless channel, channel 1 looks best in your area. Try that, then go through our troubleshooting guide which covers many common troubleshooting tips. If you're still having issues it would be a good idea to continue troubleshooting live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number is found here.
I am having the same problem. I just bought my Sonos Beam, I am wired to the router and our internet connection is pretty fast 150Mbs. Spotify keeps skipping or dropping. Here is my diagnostics number: 554724061
Hi, I'm also having the same issue. Keeps skipping song or pausing. 370688406
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem. I just bought my Sonos Beam, I am wired to the router and our internet connection is pretty fast 150Mbs. Spotify keeps skipping or dropping. Here is my diagnostics number: 554724061

Hi there,

Your speaker is having a hard time authenticating with Spotify. Please try removing Spotify from your Sonos system, add it back, then test again. It may also help to reboot your router and speakers. Doing so refreshes your network's information and may help.

If the above steps don't help, our phone team can help troubleshoot live. You can find our phone number here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks

Hi there,

It looks like there are some connection errors between your speakers and Spotify. These may be related to DNS lookups timing out. Please reboot your router, then also reboot your Sonos speakers to refresh your network's information. If the issue persists, please give us a call.

Thanks
Hi there,

It looks like there are some connection errors between your speakers and Spotify. These may be related to DNS lookups timing out. Please reboot your router, then also reboot your Sonos speakers to refresh your network's information. If the issue persists, please give us a call.

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply.
I switch off the router and sonos speakers by the mains every night and they come back on around 3pm every day. So I don't think rebooting will help as they are switched off daily.
I will give a call on Monday when the lines are back open

I switch off the router and sonos speakers by the mains every night and they come back on around 3pm every day. So I don't think rebooting will help as they are switched off daily.

If you are doing this every night, if you haven't already you will want to reserve permanent IP addresses for your Sonos devices (at the very least). Most residential routers do not keep track of their assigned IP addresses across a reboot, which can lead to duplicate IP addresses causing sporadic connection problems. In your router setup there will be a way to reserve the same IP for each device, thus assuring it will never hand out a duplicate.

If you are doing this every night, if you haven't already you will want to reserve permanent IP addresses for your Sonos devices (at the very least). Most residential routers do not keep track of their assigned IP addresses across a reboot, which can lead to duplicate IP addresses causing sporadic connection problems. In your router setup there will be a way to reserve the same IP for each device, thus assuring it will never hand out a duplicate.

I have no idea how to do that 😂

Tell us the make/model of your router and we can give you some help.

Tell us the make/model of your router and we can give you some help.

Thanks, its a virgin router. Think it might be a hub 3.0 vmdg505
I found the following on reserving IP addresses on the Virgin Hub 3.0 (edited to put in Sonos device):

The easiest way is to use DHCP reservation on the router.

Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and log in.
  • If you are using a Hub 3 go to Advanced->DHCP.
  • Scroll down
  • Select a Sonos device from your list of connected devices.
  • Scroll down and you'll see the Add reserved rule Box is now populated with the Sonos device's MAC and IP address.
  • Click Add rule
You may be kicked out of the Hub interface at this point - but if you go back in and check you'll see the printer has now been added to the list of reserved devices.

Do this for each of your Sonos devices. Note if your router is not listing Sonos devices specifically, you can find the MAC address of each device by going to Settings > About My Sono System. All but the last 2 digits of the serial number is the MAC address. Use this MAC address to find out which devices on the router are Sonos.

See also this video:

I keep having this issue aswell. Have restarted modem/router and sonos speakers, logged out of all spotify accounts and back in but this doesnt stop it. Diagnostics 1749806298
I found the following on reserving IP addresses on the Virgin Hub 3.0 (edited to put in Sonos device):

The easiest way is to use DHCP reservation on the router.

Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and log in.
  • If you are using a Hub 3 go to Advanced->DHCP.
  • Scroll down
  • Select a Sonos device from your list of connected devices.
  • Scroll down and you'll see the Add reserved rule Box is now populated with the Sonos device's MAC and IP address.
  • Click Add rule
You may be kicked out of the Hub interface at this point - but if you go back in and check you'll see the printer has now been added to the list of reserved devices.

Do this for each of your Sonos devices. Note if your router is not listing Sonos devices specifically, you can find the MAC address of each device by going to Settings > About My Sono System. All but the last 2 digits of the serial number is the MAC address. Use this MAC address to find out which devices on the router are Sonos.

See also this video:

Thank you so much for your help. Will love this a go!
So I've done that and guess what still skipping tracks.

Diagnostic 2095212266
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I've done that and guess what still skipping tracks.

Diagnostic 2095212266

Hi there,

In your reports I see that the communication between your Sonos speakers and network looks okay. The streaming audio is not getting to your speakers fast enough, and there are DNS errors when trying to connect to Spotify. Please reboot your router, and each Sonos speaker to ensure they are all using up to date network information. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend giving us a call. Our phone team has more tools available and can help troubleshoot the connection to Spotify.
Hi, I just posted this new thread (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-one-spotify-stops-playing-then-skips-to-next-song-6829235) and then discovered this thread which seems to be the hub of support for this topic. My diagnostic number is 167300212.

Spotify songs frequently stop playing, goes silent for a few seconds, then skips to the next song in the playlist.

• Two Sonos Ones in stereo mode
  • Currently a wireless connection (though this problem happened I had one wired too)
  • I have two different permanent IP addresses reserved for each Sonos One.
  • I have a Netgear Orbi two-unit (one base, one satellite) system, and the Sonos Ones are wirelessly connected to the satellite which is about 6 feet away on the other side of a standard interior wall.
  • I have fast internet (400Mbps down, 20 up) and frequently use VoIP for hour long work calls with no issues if that's any evidence that I have good WiFI + internet).
  • WiFi is set to channel 1, next door neighbor is channel 8. I live in a suburban neighborhood and only 2-3 other networks show up.
  • I have a baby video monitor in the house, but the camera is upstairs ~30 feet away and the screen unit is usually not within 10 feet of the speakers, and skipping occurs even when it is upstairs too, far away.
Curious to see what my diagnostic says!

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@jrich05 Thanks for reaching out. I closed your other thread so we can focus on troubleshooting here. The streaming data isn't getting to your speakers fast enough. In your report I see that your home network is running on channel 1, which is pretty crowded. Try switching your router over to channel 11 and see if that helps. It's a good idea to make sure all of your access points are on the same channel, too.
@jrich05 Thanks for reaching out. I closed your other thread so we can focus on troubleshooting here. The streaming data isn't getting to your speakers fast enough. In your report I see that your home network is running on channel 1, which is pretty crowded. Try switching your router over to channel 11 and see if that helps. It's a good idea to make sure all of your access points are on the same channel, too.

The only devices nearby that are broadcasting on channel 1 are my Orbi base router and satellite. I'm wondering if the base router, located about 40 feet away and upstairs from the Sonos Ones, is actually interfering with the signal from the satellite, only about 6 feet away from the Sonos Ones.
I followed Edward R's advice to check wireless interference as a possible reason for the Spotify problem and was able to eliminate the skipping, just by switching the Sonos wireless channel from 1 to 6. I have my Play 3 wired via ethernet cable to my Orbi Satellite router, and they sit < 1 ft apart. But I was able to eliminate proximity as a source of interference. Note that, as others have reported, this problem was oddly specific to playing Spotify through Sonos, whether starting from the Sonos app or Spotify app. I had no problem playing Spotify to my Google Home, to my Airpods or other bluetooth devices, or from the device itself (iOS or MacOS). Nor did I experience issues when playing Pandora tracks through Sonos. With the channel switch, Pandora still works fine, as expected. So, thanks, Edward R!! ☺️
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I followed Edward R's advice to check wireless interference as a possible reason for the Spotify problem and was able to eliminate the skipping, just by switching the Sonos wireless channel from 1 to 6. I have my Play 3 wired via ethernet cable to my Orbi Satellite router, and they sit < 1 ft apart. But I was able to eliminate proximity as a source of interference. Note that, as others have reported, this problem was oddly specific to playing Spotify through Sonos, whether starting from the Sonos app or Spotify app. I had no problem playing Spotify to my Google Home, to my Airpods or other bluetooth devices, or from the device itself (iOS or MacOS). Nor did I experience issues when playing Pandora tracks through Sonos. With the channel switch, Pandora still works fine, as expected. So, thanks, Edward R!! ☺️

My pleasure! Good job on getting that sorted, if I may say so. 👍🏼
I am tired on trying rebooting my device, my router, my user and password, having no other devices near and MOST of all fighting back BOSE fans telling me that that is why BOSE is better thank SONOS. I am a SONOS fan all the way but not been able to use my wifi it is the worst thing
here is the diagnostic report

Badge +1
All my Sonos devices are ethernet connected (wire) and Sonos(since friday 13th sept 2019) skips to next song over and over when I try to play Spotify-music.
Sonos simply failes to connect to Spotify-servers anymore.

If I have a unique problem since friday in my homw - it is not WiFi related.
We have not changed anything in our network router och firewall for ages.
I'm thinking the problem is elsewere.

Spotify works flawlessly on all other devices like smartphones or PCs running in the same network, both on WiFi and Ethernet/Wired.

I have had Sonos for 11 years now, perhaps it is time to throw it out?

The Sonos app say we have the latest software (1.4, build 521369030)

I have sent Support Diagnostic and got # 1021421523
y play 11works fine with ethernet cable but I want my music away from the router.
Badge
I have issues with streaming from Spotify. Used to work fine, but frequent dropouts (almost every song) for the past few weeks.
I tried all three channels. No improvement.
Diagnostics: 801045828

I hope a solution is out there!
Ok I have fixed my issue not the way I wanted.

Tyear reason why my Sonos Play 1 stoped working or started skipping songs and not been able to connect with spotify was because I added a new better internet router.

My local internet provider gives me a lousy crappy router, so I bought a new and better one. The best way to make it work is to set up your primary router as "bridge mode" but for some reason The local internet provider does not let me do that. So what I did was just deactivate wifi on the old router with the new one I have 2 channels the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.
So even if I connected myself to 2.4 or 5 the malfunctioning was happening.
I turned back on wifi on the old router and still the issue was on going.

So the only way to still use my play 1 is to connect my play 1 to the wifi provided by the old lousy crappy router, so I have to switch my phone to that network if I want to play music. And all the other devices like TV, laptops cellphones live on the 2.4 or 5 ghz network.

hope this helps you guys