Spotify radio stations not playing today on Sonos

• 24 January 2021
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Spotify radio does not work for me either... submitted diagnostics 649963865

Badge

Back again as well, however now I can’t get any of the stations (Favorites) to play. So the problem was never solved really...

I have the same problem for 2 days now and it’s about 80% of how I use my Sonos. They better get it fixed or I won’t have much use for the system and will think about switching to Bose or something else. 

Add me to the list. Unable to start any spotify radio from sonos app, but everything else works.

Similar experience here.  I tried the modem/router/sonos reboot route and continued to see the same problem.  For the last week it’s been random: some stations would play, others would not.  Now it seems to be all the artist radio stations I select in the Sonos app running Spotify.  So far I haven’t found one that will play.  I’ve primarily been listening to 60s jazz artists the last few days.  I’ll try a “popular” contemporary artist to see if it works and report back.

Update: I went back and tried playing Artist Radio of a couple artists in the current Spotify Top 50 USA.  None of the Artist Radio stations worked.  So, it doesn’t seem to be a problem of my listening to obscure artists.

Just started having this issue today. Diagnostic 292137716

Badge

Now working for me… Until we met again, perhaps? LOL!

I'm rather new to the forum and maybe naive...  but shouldn't sonos be part of this thread or is this not how this forum works? 

The times when a forum was nothing more than a place for customers to vent and maybe help themselves are over, no? 

Userlevel 1

LOL.Mine has also stopped working again and I have not upgraded the controller so I am guessing that is not the cause.It really is time for a Sonos rep to come here and explain who or what is responsible for this or a least feign ignorance.

Userlevel 2

This issue pops up every few days. I keep submitting diagnostics but no sign of change yet.

By the way I am still on Sonos 1 because I have a bunch of older Sonos devices. Are people seeing this on both Sonos 1 and Sonos 2 systems?

One ‘feature’ I notice is that this usually happens if I am trying to start a new radio station (A) in a new room (Y). But if I start a station (B) that was previously playing in a different room (Z) (by rechecking in the Rooms dialog) station A starts OK in room Y. And then if I start station B in room Y it now starts OK.

That seems to be a reliable workaround. But who knows why it works?

If you want real information, rather than just generic guesses, which may apply to some people, but not to you,you should submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

Userlevel 2
Badge

No more luck here either.  Reset everything.  Artist radio stations don’t play.  “Unable to get tracks for radio station.”  Most other content will.  Hoping Sonos can find a fix for this.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Diagnostics sent as well, 749015578

Userlevel 1

I have just talked to sonos on the phone and they were unaware of this problem. They suggested that it was Spotify removing this feature from the sonos app,I told them that this did not seem very likely but that I would confirm with Spotify.Spotify of course said it was not them but I could not continue to explore the problem with Spotify because of my work.

I am also hoping as this problem multiplies it will soon be properly addressed by someone

Note that pretty much all Sonos does is write the API, which Spotify then has to integrate in their servers. Your speakers merely point to a location defined by Spotify to grab the data that they play. Sonos doesn’t really ‘touch’ the data in any way, other than to play what they’re handed by Spotify. 

To my knowledge, there has not been any change in the Sonos API that all music services use in quite a while. 

Badge

Adding to this, I too am experiencing the same problem related to specific artist radio via Spotify. Communicated with support, who suggested various local issues related to LAN and hardwired Sonos devices. A few devices I've disabled wireless as Ethernet alternative, although that is not relevant to the issue. At any rate I opted not to make the suggested changes since my Sonos system is operating normally outside of this recent issue. 

Haven't identified commonalties between artists which fail and those which are successful. Artists which fail are able to stream normal (direct) audio versus "radio" feature. I view this more as a Spotify integration issue. 

Userlevel 1

Yes, mine is also working now.I am curious if this was a Spotify problem or a Sonos problem

Since Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it reaches your speaker, it’s hard to come up with a reason how it could be a Sonos issue. Spotify owns the server that your controller makes a request to, and the Sonos just plays the stream that it gets back from that server. At no point does the Spotify data ever live on a Sonos server. 

Badge

Since Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it reaches your speaker, it’s hard to come up with a reason how it could be a Sonos issue. Spotify owns the server that your controller makes a request to, and the Sonos just plays the stream that it gets back from that server. At no point does the Spotify data ever live on a Sonos server. 

Except the radio streams I referenced earlier worked within the Spofity app, yet did not work through the Sonos app. So the source may not have been the issue… Either way, I don’t care what happened, I’m just pleased it works. Period.  : ) 

I share your happiness. Another worthwhile point of data to store away is many services use different servers for different source points, for ease of tracking. So the server address they give to Sonos to present to the controller may not be the same server that they use for a web feed, or their own client. 

It also has the additional benefit of them needing to maintain the Sonos API in a single location/ server, rather than across all their other servers. 

Badge

I am a self admitted luddite so I cant make any case.

You can own Sonos equipment or be a luddite. Not both. LOL! 

Badge +1

Yep, same problem here. And it started about a week ago. So it’s definitely not user error and something on Sonos’ or Spotify’s end.

Has anyone been able to reliably solve this?

My saved spotify radio stations don't play for the last couple of days. What's the problem??? Very annoying. 

Same for me.

spotify ’artist radio’ not working through Sonos system but ok direct through spotify.

awaiting a response from sonos customer care.

Same exact issue here for last few days. No Spotify artist radio through Sonos app, but works just fine if streaming from Spotify app to Sonos.