Answered

Spotify: Browsing through genres not possible anymore

• 14 November 2019
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

The fact that Sonos needs to implement a software update to effect the change does not alter the fact that Spotify decides how the UX Will look and function.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are these Spotify accounts free, or premium? 

From my understanding, the free account heavily limits what you are able to see and search for. 

Userlevel 1

Are these Spotify accounts free, or premium? 

From my understanding, the free account heavily limits what you are able to see and search for. 

Mine is premium.

Inconvenient, but you can try searching for names of genres in playlists. For example, go to search, type “Jazz,” and a list of all the Spotify playlists that include “Jazz” SHOULD show up in the search results. Can’t figure out why they made this change, though. 

I will unsubscribe from Spotify if its Browse option does not come back to the Sonos app soon.

The new UI makes it very easy to find the same music you already listen to. But part of the beauty of Spotify was finding new music or, especially, curated playlists to spare me the job of doing it.

Google Play’s Browse option remains excellent.

Please express this to Spotify. It was not Sonos who removed the feature, it was Spotify. I don’t believe Spotify reps read this forum. 

@controlav Why do you keep arguing this point? Did you need me to write you some sample code that proves that Spotify genres can be walked via their API?

“SMAPI” is Sono’s API. Are you claiming that Sono’s API doesn’t support Spotify genres and it’s somehow Spotify’s fault?

I agree with all the posts, I can see no benefit in this update. Its ruined great functionality. The only way around this is to follow the steps above as posted by mhayli, it works but it's way too laborious. If this is not reversed then I'll subscribe to another streaming service   

If I was Spotify I wouldn't be happy at all. This may cost them custom  

How can you possibly think taking away the ability to browse all genres is a positive use experience?

A massive thumbs down to Sonos/ Spotify on latest android controller update. Losing the ability to browse genres is an enor.ous backward step in usability and quality of experience. Could someone from sonos respond to let us know who we should speak to about addressing this please? Sonos and Spotify was a match made in heaven. No more though. Very dossapointed. 

Sonos isn’t going to throw a partner under the bus, but it was Spotify’s doing.  Best to complain to them.

Userlevel 2

+1

Agreed!!! 😡

How CAM they even make a change like this? Do they use their own product???