Answered

Sonos won't search Spotify

• 16 July 2023
  • 41 replies

Sonos App has stopped searchin Spotify.  Both Sonos and Spotify are “working” -- i can play spotify content from within Sonos -- but I cannot seach from within Sonos.  I have (soft) repooted the speakers, rebooted my phone and removed and then readded the service,  None worked.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 July 2023, 17:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m not the most technical person, but it’s not clear to me how this is a Spotify issue as opposed to a Sonos issue.  I don’t need to use quotes when searching for artists on the Spotify app, only when I search Spotify through the Sonos app.

I’m not the most technical person, but it’s not clear to me how this is a Spotify issue as opposed to a Sonos issue.  I don’t need to use quotes when searching for artists on the Spotify app, only when I search Spotify through the Sonos app.

The problem is that Spotify changed or introduced  a bug in their API.  I can say from experience that one of the biggest challenges integrating with third party systems via and API is when the third party breaks something or changes something without notice to the programmers using the API.  Sonos can’t control what Spotify does, they rely on them to keep their APIs functioning (or at least communicating forthcoming changes to people using their API).

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @nbpete 

The issue reported above came back. Until it is resolved again, you should be able to get results from Spotify in your searches by placing your search term “within quotes”.

I hope this helps.

Yes, this works. But this is stupid. A stupid way to search on Spotify & Sonos. How in the hell would someone know to use “…” to search Spotify on Sonos? Who?

Userlevel 7

Check out this thread:

It seems to be a Spotify issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nbpete 

The issue reported above came back. Until it is resolved again, you should be able to get results from Spotify in your searches by placing your search term “within quotes”.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sklein11 and others

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There was a Spotify outage during the weekend - if this was the cause of you all being unable to use New Search on Spotify, it should be resolved now.

If, however, you are still unable to use New Search specifically with Spotify, please remove your Spotify account from Sonos and re-add it:

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

If you are still unable to use New Search with Spotify after performing this step, please submit a support diagnostic after testing and reply here with the number given. Thank you.

If, however, you are only unable to search for Artists via Classic Search, this does not apply to you. Please view this thread instead:

I hope this helps.

Searching with quotes is counterproductive. I have clients. Ow that are totally frustrated and mad. Changes made without any announcement is never a good idea. Especially when it breaks something. 

Whats ETA on fix for this? Or is Spotify being difficult and uncooperative?

Whats ETA on fix for this? Or is Spotify being difficult and uncooperative?

Ask Spotify.  The problem lies with them, not Sonos.

Hi Corry P.  Have tried all you suggested and no joy. I can play Spotify through Sonos but when I search through either new or classic then spotify is not provided in results.  I also use Amazon and that does appear.  Please provide a remedy that works.  Thanks 

Sorry Corry P. Forgot to include support  diagnostic info ..,   1055940145

As a guess, and I’ve said this elsewhere, Spotify didn’t promote this ‘fix’ to all branches, so when they rolled out some other ‘fix’, it stomped on their previous fix. If that turns out to be a true statement, I wouldn’t think it would be too long before it gets reimplemented, and someone has their hands slapped for not properly promoting it to all branches once it was approved. 

But I don’t work for Spotify, this is just based on previous branch management experiences with software. 

Does not appear to have helped. 1246985173

Userlevel 1

That’s seriously janky, Sonos.

Rebooted router. Rebooted devices. No change. 852584442. GWB

Corry P, using quotes for artist search works! Thank you so much!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Skeletor169 

I check again and I can search by song, album, or playlist using the old search function, but nothing shows up for Spotify if I search using the artist

Unfortunately, that is a separate issue coinciding with this one. It’s being investigated, and is discussed on the thread below:

Fixed! Thanks! GWB

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks to you all for reporting back - I guess we can stop investigating!

@GSS - I was again unable to reproduce this with Sonos Radio. I understand if you’re not bothered, but I recommend the same steps as I recommended for Spotify above.

I hope this helps.

1 more data point -- when I swutch to Classic Search, it works, which is the opposite of what others reported in the other thread.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Gosh... quotation marks.... 😊

As I mentioned to Sonos before, I don't understand why Sonos NEVER communicates with me directly about problems. It would be so easy to communicate through the app’s message interface, rather than always using it for ads. They could say: 'Dear Sonos user, we've discovered that the artist search is not working properly when using Spotify in the Sonos app. For now, please use a workaround: include quotation marks around the artist name. We are actively working on a solution and apologize for the inconvenience.'

Instead, whenever there are problems, Sonos users are forced to search on Google and locate some thread—like this one. It would be SO easy for Sonos to provide this basic PROACTIVE customer service.

Because when you search using the Spotify app, your request is being fed to Spotify’s server x. When you search using the Sonos controller, the request is being sent to server y, which has the Sonos SMAPI code on it, and reacts slightly differently. 

I am having the same issue. Whenever I search in Sonos spotify shows as not responding, but I can still play music from Spotify on Sonos. Using the new or old search does not help. 

New search for sonos radio and spotify are not working for me. When I try to search, I get

Sonos Radio and Spotify aren’t responding. You can search a different service or try again later.

Check for service outages on our Service Status page.”

Switching to classic search per @sklein11 is working for me, thank you. 

Same issue. New search was working until 7/15. Now it’s the red exclamation mark next to Spotify button and sometimes next to Sonos Radio. But classic search works fine. Reported to Sonos support but no resolution.

What’s going on Sonos -

if your product cannot connect with Spotify - then you have to question its value?

just saying….