Sonos Desktop App for Mac no longer recognizing Sonos system - Any ideas?

• 3 February 2024
  • 11 replies

My Sonos Desktop app for Mac recently stopped recognizing my Sonos system. Since this has happened previously, I just uninstalled the app, reinstalled a new version, but nothing changed. I thought it might be from the most recent Mac OS update, but I don’t believe that’s the case. That said, my Sonos iPhone app still works. Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated. Here is what the Desktop app looks like while music is playing via the iPhone app:

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are you running a VPN on your Mac?

Hi @controlav - No, I’m not running a VPN. That said, I have previously in the past (ExpressVPN) and never had an issue, but I haven’t used it in quite some time. 

Badge

UPDATE: I just installed a new app on work computer and by golly it’s working! I bet there was a fix to this in the 3/21/24 update.

-----------

This has happened to me too - Sonos app stopped working on both my work MacBook Pro and my personal Mac Air (both only a few months old).

Sonos was non-functional on my older work computer on and off VPN for a while, but it had worked fine before that for a long time.

[Sidenote: Sonos apps have consistently worked fine on iPhone and iPad.) 

Removing the apps on the computers and reinstalling didn’t work.

PS - it’s annoying because i really prefer to control my Sonos on my work computer whilst i’m working.

I purchased a new macbook … Now I don’t have access to a Sonos app from macbook 

Im furious 😡.

Typical Sonos. Its an exasperating company.

I wish I could get a refund on all the  Sonos kit I own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I purchased a new macbook … Now I don’t have access to a Sonos app from macbook

Why not?

if I was going to buy a system I'd be looking at alternatives as well as Sonos. Before I’d say don’t bother there’s no other company even close. But between not having an app for IOS desktops and their customer service that’s vanished from the planet, I’d say there may be a better one now. Customer service used to be like Apple Care where they were domestic, smart, totally knowledgeable, and helped you get off the phone in a hurry and with a smile. Now? Nothing more than your traditional call center with inordinate hold times. When someone does come on the line they go through a manual checkbook rather than understanding your problem which I find to be so wasteful and aggravating. Plus, no guarantee a problem will be solved. What has happened to Sonos? 

Badge +1

if I was going to buy a system I'd be looking at alternatives as well as Sonos. Before I’d say don’t bother there’s no other company even close. But between not having an app for IOS desktops and their customer service that’s vanished from the planet, I’d say there may be a better one now. Customer service used to be like Apple Care where they were domestic, smart, totally knowledgeable, and helped you get off the phone in a hurry and with a smile. Now? Nothing more than your traditional call center with inordinate hold times. When someone does come on the line they go through a manual checkbook rather than understanding your problem which I find to be so wasteful and aggravating. Plus, no guarantee a problem will be solved. What has happened to Sonos? 

I had the exact same experience. It’s been at least a month since the last major upgrade and still no playlist app is really glitchy with my Tucson amps and the two bars.

Sonos just completely disengaged my 2023 MacBook Air from my library.  And then when a tech tried to help (after waiting on the phone for over 2 hours - no exaggeration) they lost my library of thousands of songs.  I can’t believe such a who cares attitude from a company whose customers purchased their not so cheap speakers.  They literally destroyed my music listening system - with a too bad so sad attitude - to thousands of customers.

Badge +1

Sonos just completely disengaged my 2023 MacBook Air from my library.  And then when a tech tried to help (after waiting on the phone for over 2 hours - no exaggeration) they lost my library of thousands of songs.  I can’t believe such a who cares attitude from a company whose customers purchased their not so cheap speakers.  They literally destroyed my music listening system - with a too bad so sad attitude - to thousands of customers.

This is precisely what I’m afraid of. My playlists have been gone for almost almost a month now

Sorry guys:

Here’s what I believe to be the cause of your complaints:

As many complaints as I’ve had with Sonos since S2 was introduced, this is an Apple issue, not Sonos.  Apple will not openly admit they’re the culprits.  I actually had Sonoma reinstalled (as suggested by an Apple supervisor) as the solution, implying it would correct my problems.  Prior to that I spoke with several Apple techs saying that not everyone is allowed in (my words). I didn’t believe it then, but I do now.  It is strictly about controlling hackers, privacy, etc.  It’s so bad I finally figured out why the dictionary is no longer active.  My primary concern was my Sonos playlists, which I can no longer use.  The Apple tech, prior to reinstalling, went through a series of files looking for what may cause the issues, I noticed one glaring file which caught my attention - corporations that were “allowed” to screen share - Ebay, Amazon and apologies for forgetting the third (do not remember name of file).  This is an Apple directive, not Sonos.  While I was told by several Apple technicians that there are absolute restrictions, my naivety got the better of me.  The interesting thing is, my old Catalina has saved me from minor interruptions, freezes and the dictionary.  I don’t know if this is a temporary policy or not, but it certainly has diminished my quality of life.  I have an old Windows that I’m going to employ to see if that may be a solution in regaining my playlist.  The other solution could be creating new playlists on Music.  (Do I think Sonos knows of their lockout?  Yes, but not openly admitting it. I had an appt. with Sonos after I connected with Apple, which was inexplicably cancelled.)  Sorry I listened to my sisters about upgrading to an Apple instead of Windows.  The brand of computer takes a back seat to enjoying my music.  I am angry and saddened by what I consider to be real loss in my life - in a word, control.

Badge +1

Hi

Thanks for your elaborate reply. I understand what you are saying, but I think that it is a matter of time before the playlist feature is restored. It is the most important feature to me to use the Sonos app.

I can’t imagine that every time I want to create a new playlist and add new tracks that I would have to open the Music app on one of my Apple devices and create the playlist in that app.

Then go find it in the Sonos app.

Also, There is still serious glitches while using the Sonos app. It is Not functioning properly. I have been thru this before with Mac OS and IOS new versions. It often creates huge problems for the Sonos techs. But they always figure it out.