Skip to main content

Sonos and iOS updates

• 26 October 2023
  • 3 replies

How hard is it for a company of this size to stay on top of iOS firmware updates? When iOS 17 was released and I purchased a new iPhone 15 Pro Max, the Sonos app wasn’t compatible, and TruePlay tuning was disabled—for what seemed like forever. Now we’re back to the same thing with iOS 17.1–after a lengthy beta cycle and plenty of time for Sonos to make adjustments to their app to be compatible way ahead of the firmware release date, here I am with two new ERA 300s to go with my Arc and sub, and I can’t tune them because the existing app on the App Store still isn’t compatible. 

Sonos, have you gone to the review section of your app on the iPhone App Store, changed the sorting view from most relevant to most recent, and perused the thousands of one and two star reviews you have, along with the nearly infinite number of consumer complaints that continue to post day after day, month after month? If thousands of small fry app developers can keep up with the cycle of beta releases and release compatible updates before the stable version is released, why can’t you do the same for weeks after yourselves? What’s so complex about TruePlay that you can’t keep it functional between minor iOS releases? 

If there’s anyone on this forum that has any sort of informed forecast for when the Sonos app will be compatible with iOS 17.1, it would greatly help me decide whether I want to return these ERA 300s and find another solution that offers a stable app experience. I’ve been through this nonsense with Sonos one too many times over the years. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Steven_5,

Thank you for the feedback regarding the Sonos app and Trueplay availability.

I’ve had a look online at it seems that iOS 17.1 came out yesterday around 17/18 hours ago. As the update was just released, our engineers will need to update the Trueplay profiles for this iOS version and push the update itself, which can take up to a few days depending on if changes need to be made, though we don’t have an exact ETA on when this will be available.

There is a post by one of our users that goes into more detail about Trueplay, I would recommend reading through if you would like more information on the process.

All I can ask currently is to remain patient a while longer, but for now I would suggest you us the in-app EQ settings to adjust your speakers.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge

But it doesn’t help. The reason there is Xcode updates posted for developers is so that app builders can update their software to be compatible at launch. When I got this iPhone 15 Pro Max I couldn’t use several features on the Sonos app due to incompatibility. And when I recently performed a system update, it took over 40 minutes to get all the speakers updated—I got constant errors and I kept having to run the update over and over to get it done. Again, go look at the reviews of your app on the iPhone App Store—the most recent several hundred of them are universally pans and complaints. You’re a huge tech company—you can do better, especially since I’ve invested over $25,000 in your products. Get the app fixed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

$25,000.00 You should really get them listed in your profile!

After that I’d look into your local radio environment to see what is causing the update issues.