Answered

Song not encoded correctly after Spatial update

• 22 April 2023
  • 28 replies

Since the update for spatial audio was released the not encoded error is happening most of the time. This only happens when using Apple Music via the Sonos app and is not just limited to the Era 300s. 

Tracks that have been uploaded using the iTunes Match service display the error but other songs won’t play either despite everything being fine before. 

I can get around this playing via Airplay or deleting the tracks from my library and adding them again from Apple Music. This isn’t an ideal fix though as I have lots of music that isn’t available on Apple Music. I also have 100s of playlists and I can’t do this to every one. 

I’ve tried all the troubleshooting tips that I’ve read and nothing has worked. 

This is obviously an error caused by the new spatial audio music update; Apple and Sonos need to get together to fix this because it’s ruining the Sonos experience. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 April 2023, 12:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bhuna Overlord 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Apple is aware of this issue and is currently working on a resolution.

In the meantime, you can prevent this behaviour by a) grouping-in a speaker that does not support spatial audio or b) initiating playback from a search result rather than via browsing Apple Music.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, the grouping in doesn’t work. It happens on all my Sonos speakers throughout the house. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bhuna Overlord 

Apologies, I had the details a little wrong.

The following devices are impacted:

• Amp

• Arc / Arc SL

• Beam (all generations)

• Era 100 / 300

• Five

• Move

• One / One SL

• Port

• Ray

• Roam / Roam SL

• Sub (gen 2, gen 3) / Sub Mini

• SYMFONISK products

So, grouping-in a product not listed here should prevent the issue, but grouping-in any of these will not.

Playing from a Search result should still allow playback, however.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again, it still doesn’t solve the playlist and iTunes Match issue but I’m sure an update will happen soon. 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge

The workaround mentioned earlier (grouping) doesn’t involve grouping speakers that do and do not support spatial audio….. it works when grouping speakers that do and do not support Airplay. At least this is what my testing showed. And this is what I went over with Sonos Support when we went over this issue last week, and they acknowledged it appears to impact Airplay-enabled speakers. Though, I suppose, spatial audio might be the actual root of the issue. 

So when I play a matched song to my Roam, I get the error. But when I play it to a group that consists of my Roam and a Play:3 (i.e., a non-AirPlay speaker), I don’t get the error.

And I didn’t know about the “search rather than browse” Apple Music workaround. That does indeed work. If I browser my library for a matched song, I get the error. But when I search for it, I don’t. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

ffs guys this terrible… my work round is to add in a non airplay older sonos speaker (play3 in my case) to a playlist with airplay more up to date speaker group - suddenly all is calm. and all itunes match tracks play again. annoying in the extreme though - trillion dollar company ( and sonos aint poor either) and they cant de bug simple issues like this. 

please get this sorted before my holiday when i have only portable airplay devices…. grrrrrrr

Userlevel 1
Badge

🤓 suddenly sonos want to keep our old *** and not upgrade lol

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

OK, it’s been a month. Any update on this? I upgraded my Sonos system so I don’t have any products not on that list. I have over 1,000 CDs that I ripped years ago and matched with Apple Music, and all of those 16K songs are unplayable on Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

any news on this ?   cant use move / roam on holiday with my itunes match playlists etc - very very disappointing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tomp66 

ffs guys this terrible… 

please get this sorted before my holiday when i have only portable airplay devices…. grrrrrrr

🤓 suddenly sonos want to keep our old *** and not upgrade lol

any news on this ?   cant use move / roam on holiday with my itunes match playlists etc - very very disappointing 

I refer you to my first reply:

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

yep 👍 but how long do we wait?

That’s a question for Apple.

I wouldn’t think that Sonos has much control over Apple’s engineering team, and frankly, with the engineering teams I’ve worked with in the past, fixing a ‘bug’’ isn’t something that can be scheduled with an end time. You’ve got to identify where the code error is, figure out a way to fix it that doesn’t impact other things, submit it for review, get it tested (lather, rinse, repeat if it does impact other systems) and finally schedule it for release. It’s not an 8 hour process. It can take weeks, depending on the severity of the bug, and the potential intertwinement with other systems. 

Bumping this, is there any update on a fix? This is so irritating and needs to be fixed. I’ve spent a fortune on a Sonos ecosystem and shouldn’t have to put up with tedious issues like this. 

This issue goes way beyond just Apple. I am having Not Encoded Properly errors streaming Tidal and Amazon as well as Apple. Blaming Apple for the a shotty update with no ability to rollback is poor development and QA. Do better Sonos!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bdubnm 

If you are seeing these errors for all sources, then the issue is likely to do with local networking conditions - most likely, interference. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I also recommend a read of our Reducing Wireless Interference help page.

I hope this helps.

Hi @bdubnm 

If you are seeing these errors for all sources, then the issue is likely to do with local networking conditions - most likely, interference. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I also recommend a read of our Reducing Wireless Interference help page.

I hope this helps.

This doesn’t help at all and isn’t the issue. The problem is Sonos not sorting this rubbish out or communicating with customers that there is a problem. Sort yourselves out Sonos, you’re going to lose customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bhuna Overlord 

My reply to @bdubnm was in reference to the fact that they see the “not encoded correctly” error for all sources, and not just for Apple Music, and is therefore seeing that error for different reasons.

@Corry P I have had Sonos for years, the network and all factors outside of Sonos are stable. When Sonos released this update, Sonos will play the first half of a song, then the Controller will pop up with a “Song not encoded correctly” error and skip to the next song where it will play half of the song and repeat. This happens for local songs and streaming songs alike. For a service like Sirius XM where you cant skip ahead, the error pops up and the tracks skip (think old record player) before resuming
 playing only to skip again 30 seconds later.

Again, its not a network issue, its a Sonos update issue. FIX IT!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Definitely a Sonos problem! I’m getting this with music on my nas, and Apple Music through the Sonos app. But!!! When I use AirPlay instead of the Sonos app, no problem! This is a Sonos problem which commenced with last update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I notice there is never any apology from Sonos, or full explanation of what is happening. Sonos always seems to pass the buck to others and don’t take responsibility. 

You would prefer them to throw their partners under the proverbial bus? Probably 98% of the time, the issue isn’t with Sonos, but elsewhere. What’s your best corporate strategy for dealing with those issues, without angering corporate ‘partners’ that your business relies on to make money (selling speakers)?

Sonos is a TV set for the ears. You don’t blame Samsung or LG when HBO isn’t working, do you?

When a company advertises the fact that their brand new product works with a music streaming provider, then it should in fact work properly. Yes, I will hold Sonos to account because their shoddy update made services that worked perfectly before not work. 

we need an update! everything said here is happening to others (me). Only in the Sonos app. Only started recently.

SiriusXM streams are not working now, getting the Encoding error.