SiriusXM not playing

• 27 October 2023
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Why is there so much trouble connecting with SiriusXM lately?

22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Having this problem as well- once or twice per week. Occurred again this morning so I was forced to use the SiriusXM App and Airplay to my Sonos speakers. SiriusXM service is okay- this is a Sonos issue. 

Having the same issue. Yeah, AirPlay works and I do that when I have to, but the issue needs to be fixed. If SiriusXM is an approved service on the Sonos platform, and it is, connecting thru AirPlay shouldn’t be necessary to get to your content. 

I started noticing this a couple of weeks ago, but it’s been intermittent and normally works after trying a few different stations. As of yesterday evening thru right now, there’s no direct connection to SiriusXM from Sonos. 

Tried a SiriusXM station and once again, unable to connect. Went to my Sonos settings under my subscribed services and reauthorized my SiriusXM account…and poof…like magic…all SiriusXM stations (at least all my favorites) are now able to be played directly thru Sonos without having to use airplay. Try reauthorizing your SiriusXM accounts in the Sonos app. This could be the key to our troubles. 

I’m also having this issue and despite reauthorizing SXM it still has been acting up over the last few days. Hoping Sonos looks into a fix soon

same issue here. happening with both android and ios devices.  looking for a solution/fix.

I had the same issue.  I worked with Sonos support to do the following (I am using IOS app):

1. In Sonos app, delete SiriusXM (settings, services & voice, music & content)
  2. Force-close Sonos app
  3. re-open Sonos app and add SiriusXM  (settings, services & voice, music & content, add a service)
  4. This will eventually steer you to a URL where you are asked to authorize SiriusXM.
  5. Be sure to use your SiriusXM STREAMING credentials, instead of the main account credentials.

Everything works fine after doing the above.  Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just happened again this morning. Mid-stream and SiriusXM cut out. Attempted to play other SiriusXM stations and the infamous “encoding” error message gets reported. Switched over to the SiriusXM App and am Airplaying through my Sonos speakers without issue.

It’s random and ridiculous. 

Concerning the advice from Sonos support, I have been and am using SiriusXM Streaming credentials. It’s something else that is recently impacting Sonos’ ability to maintain SiriusXM stations within its own App.

I agree, it is getting old.  This has been going on for me for at least a week, probably longer.  I have reauthorized the SiriusXM service through the Sonos 2 controller on my pc, and it works for a while, but then back to not being able to browse the Sirius channels.  Some evenings I have reauthorized the service two or three times.  This has worked for us in the past without any issues at all, so something has changed.  I believe we had a recent Sonos system update.  I can play Sirius just fine on my Android phone and my pc using their app, but i believe Sirius uses a different server to send the stream to Sonos.

The problem seems to be related to a recent update that does not like when you switch between devices. For instance start a service on an iPhone and then try to switch or change or stop or restart on another device like an iPad, The system wants you to go back to the original device you used. Just an observation since both my wife and I use the system. She has an iPhone, I have an iPhone, she has an iPad, I have an iPad. Before, SONOS did not care which device was picked up to access what was currently playing or to switch channels. Now it seems to object with the “Unable to Play” message.

That seems odd, as the controller is only a remote control that is showing what’s happening on the system that runs on the speakers, there isn’t anything ‘happening’ on the controller. 

If you can repeat this reliably, can you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes from each of these devices, and call Sonos Support to discuss it? I’m sure some hard data to provide to the engineering team would be extremely helpful. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The problem seems to be related to a recent update that does not like when you switch between devices. For instance start a service on an iPhone and then try to switch or change or stop or restart on another device like an iPad, The system wants you to go back to the original device you used. Just an observation since both my wife and I use the system. She has an iPhone, I have an iPhone, she has an iPad, I have an iPad. Before, SONOS did not care which device was picked up to access what was currently playing or to switch channels. Now it seems to object with the “Unable to Play” message.

As a data point, I only use an iPad to listen to SiriusXM via the Sonos App.

Having same issue again.  I tried to reauthorize the account - again.  On SiriusXM it says successful, but Sonos says unable to authorize. 
I agree. This is getting old. 

Have you contacted SiriusXM, who maintains these servers? They don’t have any official presence here to read about these issues. 

I spent 6 weeks working with Level 3 support (engineering), before my issue was finally resolved.  But I am convinced the resolution had nothing to do with anything Sonos had me do on my system or network.  It was something of a “miraculous resolution” and Sonos refused to share what they may have done on their end.  (They did finally acknowledge that many others were experiencing the same issues.)

Fast forward to midnight last evening, and again, after 2 months of trouble free streaming, I can’t stream a single SiriusXM channel on Sonos.  SiriusXM plays on the SiriusXM app on my ios and Windows devices via the SiriusXM app, but will not stream on Sonos.  This is a Sonos problem, and I am getting completely fed up with them. I’ve reauthorised 3 times this morning, reboooted my network twice, yada yada yada and still no success. Like Tina above, when I reauthorise, I succeed on the SiriusXM site, but the Sonos app refuses to acknowledge or process the reauthorization saying there was an Error.

Anyone interested in buying a Sonos Move, PlayBase, Play 3, five Ones/1s, a Boost and a Connect???

UPDATE:  Since my post of 45 minutes ago, I have repeatedly attempted to reauthorise my SiriusXM account using the Sonos app. As Tina and I have reported before, the reauthorization succeeds on the SiriusXM site then bombs on the SONOS app. 5 minutes ago, however, after a half dozen or more failed reauthorizations, the Sonos app finally accepted the reauthorization without generating an error message.

As stated before, I fervently believe this is a SONOS issue.  When ALL of my other streaming services are working perfectly, when siriusxm streams on all other devices I have via the SiriusXM app; when I repeatedly run network diagnostics and can’t find an issue of any sort - including evidence of interference on a sub-channel; when these issues always initially make their appearance right after midnight on Saturday when most shops do system updates and THEN SiriusXM selectively craps out on Sonos, I will need more than dismissive explanations that it is a SiriusXM issue or local network interference.  My 2½ years of University physics and math argue against these explanations.

Sonos needs to get their * together.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Badge

SiriusXM still not working on Sonos App - tried all the troubleshooting above to no avail.

I would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

For several weeks, was only getting the dreaded Sonos chime as an alarm, instead of Morning Joe on 118.   No amount of authorizing fixed the situation.  Just now, randomly tried some Sirius music stations which worked fine.  Went back to 118 and it worked.  We’ll see if it comes on tomorrow.  

This is getting really old. Tried all above and doesn’t work. Can randomly listen to a favored station, but that’s it

What did Sonos Support say, when you called them?

I just spent some time going through this myself.  Since nothing I did on my Android app allowed me to get Siriusxm working,  I downloaded the app on my home computer.  It took a few moments to set up, but I was able to get Siriusxm loaded and working.  I opened up my Android app, and it worked there too.  Hope this helps you too.

I’m experiencing this issue after upgrading from an old Play:1 system. My new Sonos speakers refuse to play SiriusXM. I’ve added, deleted, re-added, re-authorized the SiriusXM service… no luck.