Skip to main content
Question

problems with new Sonos app

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

Hello,  I have been a Sonos proponent/fan from the day I bought my original Playbar and slowly converted the entire house to Sonos sound systems all the way to the patio.  The ease and connectivity just impressed everyone that came to visit and great sound to boot.  THAT ALL CHANGED WITH THE NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!!! It doesn't work, I have lost my entire patio connected to an Sonos AMP and can't seem to reconnect no mater what I do.  Controlling the Playbar when watching TV has become a hit or miss situation most of the time it will not connect so no one can control the sound or change over from playing music to watching TV.  Naturally I wanted to contact customer service and get some help and it turns out that they are only available during business hours Monday thru Friday!  This will require me  take a day off to get help.  You would think with such an expensive system they would have people available on the weekends to help on a bugled upgrade!!!!!

SonoPhone..

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

I agree, it is a disaster, nothing works :-(

I begin to doubt about whether any SONOS staff will read our comments at all. It seems that this community is only for whole bunch of frustrated and disappointed users to spend their precious time to typing here, and there will be no offical response nor that any feedback or suggestions/solutions/remedies can be provided. It is only a one way channel for us to express our anger on here and the staff will sit back with pop corns and read them with a laugh. All the responses and interactions are among the users ourselves. The feeling is like we are sending signals to outer space and no one can hear out there..I can only hear the crickets outside my windows in the dark.

I begin to doubt about whether any SONOS staff will read our comments at all. It seems that this community is only for whole bunch of frustrated and disappointed users to spend their precious time to typing here, and there will be no offical response nor that any feedback or suggestions/solutions/remedies can be provided. It is only a one way channel for us to express our anger on here and the staff will sit back with pop corns and read them with a laugh. All the responses and interactions are among the users ourselves. The feeling is like we are sending signals to outer space and no one can hear out there..I can only hear the crickets outside my windows in the dark.

Sonos reps rarely comment here, it’s a user’s forum.  The official response is here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Another mystified customer here. We have an entire house filled with Sonos products, and lately we are finding ourselves reaching for Airpods when tunes are needed. There is now so much troubleshooting, restarting, app-killing, and cursing involved in firing up the Sonos system that we have been avoiding it.

Last week I disconnected the power to the entire house in an attempt to restart all the network and Sonos gear cleanly. It did not help.

Today, I found myself browsing Homepods. The situation REALLY IS THAT BAD.

Until the current situation is resolved, we will not be purchasing any new Sonos products...and boy, oh boy... do we mean it. We have a special receptacle in our home for products that under-deliver, or “just plain-old do not work”. Most people call it a dumpster.

Sonos, please take this seriously. If you cannot fix the new app immediately, re-release the previous S2 app in Apple’s app store until you can. Don’t force me to invest in Homepods. I don’t want to!

I’ll tell you one way to get management’s attention- short their stock. The ticker is SONO. Drive down the stock until management takes some action! And if they continue to remain non-responsive and release junk like this latest app,  at least we’ll make $s on the short!

Feel free to ping me if you need help on how to short the stock.

Another mystified customer here. We have an entire house filled with Sonos products, and lately we are finding ourselves reaching for Airpods when tunes are needed. There is now so much troubleshooting, restarting, app-killing, and cursing involved in firing up the Sonos system that we have been avoiding it.

Last week I disconnected the power to the entire house in an attempt to restart all the network and Sonos gear cleanly. It did not help.

Until the current situation is resolved, we will not be purchasing any new Sonos products...and boy, oh boy... do we mean it. We have a special receptacle in our home for products that under-deliver, or “just plain-old do not work”. Most people call it a dumpster.

Sonos, please take this seriously. If you cannot fix the new app immediately, re-release the previous S2 app in Apple’s app store until you can. Don’t force me to invest in Homepods. I don’t want to!

Sonos customers are suffering for weeks and so on new app updates seem not fix yet. No more Sonos products in the future. For S2 software you can search on internet only for windows. For the phone apps there no option to downgrade unless they fix it.

Below is an excerpt from an analyst report. Losing money, and the losses are getting worse!! And note that management is actually hyping this new app as part of their long term strategy! They are really out of touch with reality. This stock is definitely a short!!

“Sonos reported second-quarter fiscal 2024 non-GAAP loss per share of 34 cents. It registered earnings per share of 4 cents in the prior-year quarter. On a GAAP basis, the company reported a loss of 56 cents compared with a loss of 24 cents in the year-ago quarter. 

Quarterly revenues decreased 16.9% (down 17.3% on a constant-currency basis) year over year to $252.7 million due to challenging macroeconomic environment. 

Sonos is investing to drive innovation for supporting long-term business growth. As part of this strategy, it unveiled an extensively redesigned Sonos app.”

And below is an excerpt from an interview with the Company's CEO, Patrick Spence:

I’ve been using the new app since Christmas. Everybody at Sonos has been testing it for months. It has delivered — we know from data and from feedback — that it is easier to navigate. But it’s a change for customers. It is faster and more responsive, and it’s a better overall experience. 

Totally clueless. As they say, a fish rots from the head down! You can reach Patrick at the following email address if you want to set him straight:

ceo@sonos.com

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Is this progress? No! The new app has so many problems with it and functionality that simply isn’t an improvement. Saved radio stations have disappeared. Volume controls don’t work properly or at all (delay in altering the volume, painful process of turning volume off on certain devices). 
I have been a loyal and longstanding supporter and customer of Sonos. But the company is now failing its customers. My problems and all the others raised by your customers need fixing now. Or let us go back to the previous app. It worked!

Agee , do something now!!!!

Experiencing a lot of the issues listed here after the “Update”

I used to get joy from my Sonos system now its only frustration and regret.

WTF is wrong with Sonos? My business has now been without music for a month while I try to get my products connected to wifi. Several calls, an email to ceo with out response. It’s unbelievable and pathetic. Does anyone get any answers from these monkeys?

It's the middle of June, and the new app is still a nightmare. It only connects intermittently, changing rooms is haphazard, and even controlling the volume is an adventure. More than half the time I try to play music, I get a “something went wrong” message. I have 10 Sonos speakers - a significant investment of cash and time - and I’d gladly get rid of them all for an alternative platform that works. It's what Ill need to do if Sonos can't get its * together. I need to start looking at Sonos alternatives now. Any suggestions?

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Over the past 2 years Sonos’ stock is stock is down 26%. In contrast, the Nasdaq is up 53%. Congratulations to the Company's CEO Patrick Spence! And no doubt with the new buggy app the value of Sonos will continue to erode - well done!!

Always offer their tech person access to your computer. After several calls, the fellow who asked permission to take over my laptop was able to fix the current problem. The app on my iphone still doesn’t work but my Mac is working perfectly.

Over the past 2 years Sonos’ stock is stock is down 26%. In contrast, the Nasdaq is up 53%. Congratulations to the Company's CEO Patrick Spence! And no doubt with the new buggy app the value of Sonos will continue to erode - well done!!

Stock was worth so much more during lockdown because of people staying in, buying audio equipment, and subscribing to streaming services. This created a high share price by the time lockdown restrictions ended two years ago.

That’s a share level that was impossible to sustain, post lockdown. I’m not defending the new app which is not great at all, but don’t equate the new app to any meaningful share drop. As I posted only yesterday, the drop over the last month is imperceptible vs the ups and downs of the last five years, especially against the lockdown highs.

Another way to look at the stock is how much value has been created pre-Covid to day. Sonos is roughly flat, compared to 2x for the Nasdaq index. I’d still argue that Spence has done a horrible job creating value for shareholders. App aside, I think the Company is due for a change in senior leadership.

Still no joy to listen to the stations I like. 
myTuner used to work fine before the terrible Sonos app downgrade. 
volume adjustment is still cranky. 
and no consolation from Sonos. 
Pants (or underpants if you’re in the US)

The new app is horrendous. Full stop. Nothing works. 

Volume adjustment is rare. It goes really up after 75%

Speakers dissapear and I have to uninstall the app in order to get them in the app again

Sonos customers are suffering for weeks and so on new app updates seem not fix yet. No more Sonos products in the future. For S2 software you can search on internet only for windows. For the phone apps there no option to downgrade unless they fix it.

Not true.  IOS and Android devices can be downgraded.

Horrible app. Recent update is laughable. The sleep timer does not even appear consistently. Please revert to the precious app version and return to the sandbox.