Skip to main content
Question

Number of files I can index has suddenly dramatically reduced

• 12 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Until this morning, my system was running a large music library (24159 files, 112Gb) from a Buffalo LS220D NAS Drive (with SMBv2 enabled).

I added a couple of new files and updated the music library and got the message that the music folder on the NAS Drive…“is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path may have changed. Go to Settings > System > Music Library Setup to check the path.”

The NAS was definitely still available and working.

I made the mistake of removing the music folder from the Sonos system and re-adding it, which just gave me the same message as above, but now with no music files on my system at all!

I spent the rest of the day trying to make this work, but got nowhere and also called Sonos support, who were very helpful and seemed to have solved the problem, advising me to add the files back into my music folder in smaller numbers. I tried this.

However, when I get to 5469 files, 22Gb I again get the message that the music folder on the NAS Drive…“is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path may have changed. Go to Settings > System > Music Library Setup to check the path.”

Removing the last files, allows it to update the music library again. But obviously, this is no good for me.

I tried breaking the music folder into smaller folders and adding each separately, but the same restriction happens.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

5 replies

I am looking for the same help. local hd with stored music. i’ve tried sharing the folders different ways, add as a directory and as a network path, messed with SMB settings just in case. I have music in sub-folders of an overall music folder and its not the windows default folder. I get the 913 error if I try to add individual folders. I get the “no longer available” message if I try to add the main folder. The 913 error is instant. The other error takes over 5 minutes to pop up.

UPDATE: The issue is still not resolved. However, after 3½ hours on the phone to Sonos support, I have been told that this is a known issue with Buffalo NAS drives that appeared 25 days ago. 

They’ve escalated my issue to a level 2 technician and I’m waiting for an appointment with them to arrive.

Further update: 

Spoke to a level 2 technician who told me that this is a known issue with all Buffalo products and that Buffalo are looking into why it's happening. However, they have not fed back to Sonos with anything yet.

I then contacted Buffalo to see if I could find out more and they claim they have never heard of the issue and that it wouldn't be something they could work on anyway.

So someone isn't telling the truth here and 8 will be reporting this back to Sonos.

I am facing the exact same issue. I am using a SMB share on my TPLink Router. The SMB version is 2.0.2. With the S2 App, it complains that the folder is no longer available, however it definitely is.

This used to work in the S2 App, and actually with the same share and music files it does work on my older Sonos Amp using the S1 App. Obviously, this makes the share fallback to SMB v1, however it works as it should.

You could try the S1 App, see if that makes a difference for you. However it seems clear that there are still issues in the S2 App that need resolved. I do not believe these issues lie with the NAS devices or my Router...

I am facing the exact same issue. I am using a SMB share on my TPLink Router. The SMB version is 2.0.2. With the S2 App, it complains that the folder is no longer available, however it definitely is.

This used to work in the S2 App, and actually with the same share and music files it does work on my older Sonos Amp using the S1 App. Obviously, this makes the share fallback to SMB v1, however it works as it should.

You could try the S1 App, see if that makes a difference for you. However it seems clear that there are still issues in the S2 App that need resolved. I do not believe these issues lie with the NAS devices or my Router...

Maybe set the min/max SMB on the share to version 2 and either version 2 or 3, respectively and see if that resolves the matter for the Sonos App. It perhaps may not like the inclusion of SMBv1 in the negotiation. At least see if that makes a difference.