Skip to main content
Question

No Content Items Available

My husband bought a Plex server. I added the sever on my Sonos App and all worked fine for one evening playing music. Now I go to access the sever on the Sonos app and it states "No Content Items Available". The server is working fine. I can see and play my music via the Plex app but Sonos all of a sudden cannot see the tracks/content.

I am losing the will. I love my Sonos...or rather I did, as they've made things so hard to simply play and listen to music!!!

Can anyone help me please? 

Thanks. Kelly 

11 replies

Sorry I can't help but I have the same issue, ever since the sonos app changed. Did you fix it? 

Same here for me with the Bandcamp app through the Sonos app. I have reauthorised Bandcamp multiple times, but the message “no content items available” is shown. What’s the purpose of the Bandcamp - Sonos integration?

Still none the wiser I'm afraid. It's frustrating. Trying to connect now and over and over the app states no content, having restarted the Plex server and signed out of the Sonos app.

Can Sonos chip in here with some advice??? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KelMR83 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I have seen this issue with Plex on occasion since long before the Sonos app changes. For me, the fix is as simple as removing the Plex music service from my Sonos system and adding it again.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

Hi @KelMR83 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I have seen this issue with Plex on occasion since long before the Sonos app changes. For me, the fix is as simple as removing the Plex music service from my Sonos system and adding it again.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

Sorry but is not working on S2, Plex still comes up with the no content items available message.

I have tried this multiple times, as well as signing out of the Sonos app and back in, reconnecting my Beam to the network but nothing makes Plex content available.

Yes, Plex works everywhere else without problem.

Yes, Plex used to work fine on S1 without a problem.

Although I can play Plex from an app and use Airplay to stream to my Beam this is not ideal and quite frustrating for other family members.

This still needs a fix 😡!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I also get this issue the first (and sometimes the 2nd) time I select the Plex service from the new Sonos app. It is as though Sonos is timing out too early when waiting for a response from the Plex server. @Corry P This issue has also been reported elsewhere and has happened ever since the new app was released. Removing/Adding the Plex service makes no difference.
Ross.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dorset Steamer & @rosswells127 

I recently did a little troubleshooting on my own system and found out that if the ISP (Internet Service Provider) that you use utilises CGNAT, then you will have issues with Remote Access on Plex, which is needed to play on Sonos (though I don’t know if this was always the case as I recently changed ISP). Annoyingly (for troubleshooting purposes), Remote Access seems to work immediately after enabling it, but then fails later (presumably, when your public IP address changes).

Please do an internet search for “CGNAT” and your ISP’s name, and you should be able to find out if your ISP uses CGNAT. If it does, you may have an issue with Remote Access on Plex.

According to Plex’s own documentation, the simplest way to resolve this is to pay a little extra for a static public IP address, assuming that your ISP offers such a thing. There may be additional security concerns to be aware of when you have a permanent public IP address.

My previous ISP (Virgin Media) do not, apparently, utilise CGNAT and my Plex worked fine then - though I did have to remove and add the service from time to time. Now, with Hyperoptic (my new ISP), who do use CGNAT, Plex only works on Sonos immediately after enabling Remote Access in Plex Server’s settings, but not a few hours later.

If you are having consistent issues with playing Plex on Sonos and your ISP does not utilise CGNAT, please let me know.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry P,

Yes, my ISP (Giganet) does use CGNAT as of July last year but there are a couple of workarounds when using Plex.

Remote acces and “Enable Relay” are both set in my Plex settings and this was working fine under the S1 app. I assume that Plex defaulted to the relay service as remote access will not work under CGNAT but see my next point.

As a user of NordVPN I have configured their Meshnet service which allows access to Plex through a VPN tunnel using URLs and IPs defined by Meshnet (these are unique to each Meshnet user’s configuration). The server address is defined as a “Custom Server Access URL” in the Plex network settings and this allows access to Plex without using its relay service and works perfectly. I know Sonos cannot be configured to use the Meshnet service which is a shame as it eliminates issues caused by CGNAT. 

I have checked my NordVPN Meshnet settings, Plex Media Server settings and router settings (to ensure NAT Loopback is enabled) and they are all as previously set and no changes have been made since Plex last worked on Sonos.

Back to Sonos, no Plex access.

Back to Plex, turned “Enable Relay” off then back on and then back to Sonos which grudgingly listed my music collection. Something so simple but also something that should not have caused an issue. Possibly something to recommend others to try.

Assuming it is using the Plex relay, that would explain why the performance is slow as it is routed via Plex relay servers outside my home network.

I cannot see why it was not using the Plex relay service and will probably never actually be able to find out given the time since the upgrade.

Anyway, it is working, albeit a little slowly, so that is a slight improvement but given that CGNAT has been around for sometime I have to ask why the Sonos app cannot use IPv6 network addresses as these are unique and do not suffer the problems of IPv4 CGNAT constraints. This would alleviate any such problems and restore normal performance (Plex can be configured to use IPv6 and also, IPv6 addresses can be added to the custom server access url setting.

Cheers

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Corry P . My understanding is that Spark NZ Fibre broadband connections do not use CG-NAT.
My Plex server is hosted locally and I have no issues accessing it both locally and remotely via the Plex and PlexAmp app. Only issue is via the Plex service within the Sonos app.
It only fails the 1st or sometimes 1st and 2nd attempts after the Sonos app has been started, it then returns results as expected. I am not too concerned with this issue as unlike others in this thread it eventually works.
Ross.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dorset Steamer 

You’re going a bit beyond my paygrade there, to be honest. All I can really say is that VPNs are unsupported, and that I am unsure about IPv6 support. Honestly, it relates more to Plex access than it does to Sonos functionality in general.

The Enable Relay option is a good shout, but toggling it did not help me on Sonos, though it does allow my ex to stream my media from outside my network (albeit at low quality) - I’m not sure why it allows that but doesn’t allow me to even browse in Sonos. Seems strange to me.

I’m glad to hear that you are able to play, however - you’re doing better than I am!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rosswells127 

It’s a little strange that you see delay, or have to try a couple of times - I would assume that you too are accessing your Plex server via the Relay option and that is the source of the delay. As I understand it, the Plex cloud servers will be doing a fair bit of work for all their users that do not have static public IPs. I am glad to hear that you are able to play media eventually.