Question

New Sonos update - where is the alarm function?

Userlevel 2

Hi, I have two Sonos One and three IKEA symfonisk.  Following the recent app update I can no longer find the alarm function under settings.  I have processed through all levels and nothing.  Has it been removed?

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Most reports here suggest it has been removed, although a few people seem to be finding it in their apps - some then find it disappears again on the next update. Most likely it is one of the (many) things Sonos decided we don’t need any more...

Userlevel 2

Thanks.  I guess that is the nail in the coffin for my Sonos system that I was looking to upgrade.  Shame as I have really enjoyed it and using it to get me up in the morning and as a pseudo anti-burglar system when it comes on the evening with the lights.  Thanks again.  

No!! :( I literally just now updated because I was trying to set my alarm for the morning. Now I have to use my phone which has always been hard for me to wake up to compared to an actual song singing for some reason. I have been using the Sonos alarm since Sonos first came out with their first speaker / app. Is there anyway we can reverse the update to get it back?? Or maybe they forgot to readd the feature to the update? I hope we can talk to someone… 

I can see Alarms in the new App - if using an iOS device, maybe try this:

1. Select ‘Settings’ (cog icon top right’)
  2. Select ‘Manage’ (top right above rooms)
  3. Select ‘Alarms’ (listed below ‘About Your System’)

Hope that assists, but it seems some users mention that they can’t find it on their controller device.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can see Alarms in the new App - if using an iOS device, maybe try this:

1. Select ‘Settings’ (cog icon top right’)
  2. Select ‘Manage’ (top right above rooms)
  3. Select ‘Alarms’ (listed below ‘About Your System’)

Hope that assists, but it seems some users mention that they can’t find it on their controller device.

This is the answer. The Manage link needs to be tweaked to make it clear it is a tapable button.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

some users mention that they can’t find it on their controller device.

Indeed, it’s not in that location on my Android app. 

While I am pretty upset that Sonos has released the app with so much basic capability removed, I’m at least encouraged that it’s in their promotional material - see https://www.sonos.com/en/controller-app where the third screenshot shows most of the things people have lost (capture below). Seems they decided to meet their release deadline instead of their customers’ needs.

Userlevel 2

Not in the android update....

Not in the android update....

I think it will only be a matter of time - different developer teams, with different priorities, coupled with the rush to get it out the door (for some inexplicable reason we’re not privvy too) I think stepping back and waiting for the dust to settle might bring about some answers. It’s clear from the screenshots posted that ‘missing’ features are on the way. I’m not condoning the early release, but I’m happy to wait patiently for things to land here.

Userlevel 1

Are they crazy?!!!

They cannot remove one of the most important and useful functions? I've been using it for almost a decade now and it worked like a charm. In Android it's gone now and I have now clue how to modify existing alarms or even switch cancel them????

Waking up with nice music and good sound is essential. Are we supposed to buy an alarm clock now  like in the 80's? Or use the annoying sound of the mobile phone to get up every day in a bad mood? Shame on Sonos, I'm very disappointed!

I expect this to be fixed within the next couple of days, not weeks and even less months! 

Android user, and since updating last night, can't find where to edit/cancel alarms! Bizarrely the alarm went off this morning with my usual radio station playing, but where can I change the settings for it??!!! Madness!

Also used to love listening to Audible through my sonos before sleep, and used to set a timer, but that function has disappeared too!

Mess of an update! Get it sorted ASAP!!

I can’t edit or turn off alarms in the new app.

My son has a daily alarm at 0630 to get him up for school .. except he just finished school yesterday and now has national exams over the coming weeks meaning he does not need to wake up at 0630 each day but at variable times. 

Last night I went to change his alarm to a later time but couldn’t do it in the new app .. so he was woken up at normal time and has not had the sleep needed .. this will impact his exam performance today.

Sonos .. these poorly thought out and rushed changes have real impacts on people’s lives. FIX IT NOW!!!

If the alarm is not fixed in the next few days, sonos goes in the trash !

Userlevel 2

I wrote to Sonos and had a long reply that gave me all the changes that they had made for the better, which completely missed the point.  They said that other services omitted will be added over time; they had better be quick as I have already started the search for a better system.  Enjoy your Sonos everyone.....

This update has trapped us in a world of ghost alarms and removed one of the most useful functions of the app, as many here have already stated. Also the sleep timer is incredibly useful and and had become an integral part of our daily routine. Removing these features with little explanation is a stunning mistake that is terribly inconvenient.

I was also having troubles with this, what resolved it for me was doing a system update. this should have happened automatically (per my settings), but apparently it didn’t work as intended...

as others mentioned, this was an upsetting experience where i was waking up early to turn off these ghost alarms for a week and there weren’t any useful pieces of information on Sonos’ website… they’re lucky the product is good because the UX is crummy.

I just noticed this myself however if you open the Sonos app and do an undate on your speaker, I noticed that then after you update the speaker, when you select manage then you’ll see alarm along with others that you couldn’t see before. It works now. Hope this helps, good luck, now what I don’t see is the timer for the music to stop after an x amount of time. If someone know how to do this, and show us this would be great!!! Thank you

Userlevel 3
Badge

It’s NOT on the IOS app, but still located on the desktop app on a MAC OS. Sonos also keeps reenabling the automatic update. You can’t shut it off, it’s getting reenabled.  

Huge turn off that the alarm is gone. Will most definitely make me look elsewhere when buying my next system if this is not solved quickly. What a bad design decision!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Huge turn off that the alarm is gone. Will most definitely make me look elsewhere when buying my next system if this is not solved quickly. What a bad design decision!

It’s just a terrible update, not sure who decided to release this half-baked beta app. It was clearly NOT ready for prime time. This isn’t the first time; they did this about 5 years ago. Suddenly informed everyone that the first gen devices would be disabled. They did an about face after they received thousands of complaints about systems people bought would be rendered useless.  That should have been a wake call to be diligent with releasing updates that don’t kill people’s systems. 

Here is how I got my alarms back. You must follow each step: 

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

This is how to get the alarms back (worked for me), published by Sonos a couple of days ago. They will appear in the settings when you click on manage, right below your system info.

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again