Skip to main content
Answered

New SONOS iOS app (May 2024) is TOTAL RUBBISH!!

The New Sonos iOS app is absolutely terrible. If you haven’t upgraded yet please please don’t. There are so many missing features and bugs to boot. It looks like an pre-Alpha version of software rushed to market without being properly tested or checked.
PLEASE PLEASE  PLEASE Sonos bring back the S2 app for download on the App Store. If I could downgrade I would do it in a heartbeat. I’m a long time user and fan of Sonos products but frankly this is a big miss a disaster. This new app is almost unusable. This is Sonos’s Windows Vista moment. 
Please listen to your users Sonos, negative feedback is everywhere now. Please give us back the S2 app whilst this one goes back to the drawing board or perhaps the trash can.  

Completely agree with the negative comments. The new app is a downgrade. Removing the ability to add  music to the queue is ridiculous and reflects a total lack of understanding by the company of their customers. But on top of that, the new system doesn’t work properly. It takes longer to do anything now. Specifically in my case Sonos has decided that one room is the ‘master’ has to be included whenever there is a change. There’s more not to like but i haven’t time to go into it now. 

Couldn’t agree more with the criticisms of this new app - I absolutely love Sonos.  I have 7 devices - my whole house is sonos.

The new app looks like children built it.  The functionality is absolutely horrible.  Selecting music to play on an individual device is painful.  Overall - a completely ****** product. 

The only saving grace is still the fact that there is nothing better on the market for individually controlled speakers. 

To be clear - I couldn’t be any more disappointed in the product development of the app.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

100% agree.  

I spent a lot of time testing the Sonos system before I invested thousands of dollars upgrading my system and installing 2 ARC, 2 Beam, subs, etc.  The application results in music playing UNINTENTIONALLY in various rooms (which means it wakes people up!)

My wife has demanded that I remove the entire system from the house, the application is so bad.

Sonos should go back to the previous version of the application and throw away the current version 80.

If you haven’t upgraded, DON’T.

Works ok for a TV setup, but if you have multiple Sonos products spread around the house it is nothing short of an absolute nightmare. Bose will be loving this.

Why is the app constantly disconnecting to the port? and it is unable to locate systems seconds later. The update is terrible and limiting users access to change the music.

The last version functionality is perfectly fine. ALLOW USERS TO USE PANDORA OR SPOTIFY APP on website (pro.sonos.com)  

The new app is beyond bad 

very counterintuitive, crashes all the time, and very user unfriendly 

I could not agree more! What have they done??? I have to get all new equipment now because they screwed up this app so, so bad ..I can’t believe it…I was an app developer..this is the worst! Is there anyway to get the old version back??   Nightmare.. 

Bye bye Sonos..

I could not agree more! What have they done??? I have to get all new equipment now because they screwed up this app so, so bad ..I can’t believe it…I was an app developer..this is the worst! Is there anyway to get the old version back??   Nightmare.. 

For iOS there is no way to get it back unless Sonos reinstate it. 

For iOS there is no way to get it back unless Sonos reinstate it. 

We’ve been Sonos customers over 12 years and this update is HORRIFIC! I couldn’t agree more with the above comments! Seems to me they’ve messed up big time. We’re thinking of ditching it all, buying Minirigs (GREAT sound quality) and binning our once beloved Sonos! One thing for sure; we won’t be held ransoms to replacing it all ! 

My S1 system is faster by far.
Really disappointed as an old Sonos customer (15 years).
The IOS app is really unusable. you have to wait few seconds to stop or to go to the next song...
I’m sorry to say that Sonos is no more ahead and became an untrustworthy company.

What is it now, a month? I have the new app on a tablet to see how it's going, with the old one on my phone.

Basically it's still a sh*t show. 

Now it seems to occasionally work but it's hopelessly inconsistent and drops everything in a regular basis. It means my system remains unusable..... I really don't want to write off thousands of pounds but at the moment I don't have a means of playing music throughout my house.

It's been like this for too long and I beseech those ill-advised people here complimenting the engineers on the rectification work to make it clear that this just will not do. Firms who treat their customers like inadvertent beta testers deserve to go out of business. The management of the firm needed to hear that unfiltered by any mitigation that may lead them to believe they "got away with it". 

At the next board meeting they should be invited to resign having treated the most important people in the company (That's us, the poor bloody customers btw!) like crap.

Hard to believe it was even beta tested. 

Below is an excerpt from an interview with the Company's CEO, Patrick Spence:

I’ve been using the new app since Christmas. Everybody at Sonos has been testing it for months. It has delivered — we know from data and from feedback — that it is easier to navigate. But it’s a change for customers. It is faster and more responsive, and it’s a better overall experience. 

Totally clueless. As they say, a fish rots from the head down! You can reach Patrick at the following email address if you want to set him straight:

ceo@sonos.com

Below is an excerpt from an interview with the Company's CEO, Patrick Spence:

I’ve been using the new app since Christmas. Everybody at Sonos has been testing it for months. It has delivered — we know from data and from feedback — that it is easier to navigate. But it’s a change for customers. It is faster and more responsive, and it’s a better overall experience. 

Totally clueless. As they say, a fish rots from the head down! You can reach Patrick at the following email address if you want to set him straight:

ceo@sonos.com

Yes, a lot of gaslighting and bovine excrement coming from the CEO. I emailed him soon after the mess started and received a reply (which I’ve posted on other threads) which looks AI generated. At the end it told me ‘to have a bit more patience’ 🤯

тσтαℓℓу αgяєє ι ¢αи'т єνєи α∂∂ мα иєω ѕσиσѕ αмρ ι ʝυѕт ρυя¢нαѕє∂, ву тнє ωαу ∂σєѕ αиуσиє киσ ιf ι ¢αи ¢σииє¢т ιт ωιяєℓєѕѕℓу тσ мα ѕσиσѕ ѕυяяσυи∂є∂ ѕуѕтєм. ι нανє тнє ѕσиσѕ αя¢ ωιтн 2 gєи 3 ѕυвѕ & тнє ѕσиσѕ 1 fσя ѕυяяσυи∂ѕ вυт яєαℓℓу ωαииα gєт тнє иєω єяα 300 fσя ѕυяяσυи∂ѕ ωαѕ αℓѕσ ρℓαииιи σи gєттιи тнє 🎧 тнαт ʝυѕт ℓαυи¢нє∂ вυт тнιѕ иєω αρρ υρ∂αтє яєαℓℓу ѕυкѕ 😟 😭

I too found the new app really shocking and did phone Sonos support as I could not find my playlists and the app kept crashing. Since I got nowhere with Sonos,  I deleted the app from my Android phone and have successfully installed 16.1 from an APK file. All is back to what it was prior to the latest shocking update and I have all my playlists and everything else as it previously was.  I have switched off automatic updates and will only update when it is very clear that the problems have been eliminated - and I suspect that may be a long time off

iPhones are stuck:*&@#$&$uck can’t go back

I too found the new app really shocking and did phone Sonos support as I could not find my playlists and the app kept crashing. Since I got nowhere with Sonos,  I deleted the app from my Android phone and have successfully installed 16.1 from an APK file. All is back to what it was prior to the latest shocking update and I have all my playlists and everything else as it previously was.  I have switched off automatic updates and will only update when it is very clear that the problems have been eliminated - and I suspect that may be a long time off

iPhones are stuck:*&@#$&$uck can’t go back

g'иσσи Sandy1946, нσω ωσυℓ∂ ι gσ αвσυт ωнαт υ ∂ι∂ вσυт ιиѕтαℓℓιи тнє 16.1 αρχ fιℓє. ωσυℓ∂ υ в αвℓє 2 кιи∂ℓу gυι∂є мє тняυ тнє ρяσ¢єѕѕ ι ωσυℓ∂ gяєαтℓу αρρяє¢ιαтє ιт 🙃

Revert back to the old Sonos App!!!!! Why!

Try and call 65 minute wait time….. you think they would get that people hate this. They ruined a great product. I regret buying for myself and giving a gifts. Obviously from the lack of response Sonos figures we are stuck with them so no need to undoing an unnecessary, unannounced change. 
Feel unheard and Betrayed!

Totally agree, a disaster with this new app!!

The New Sonos iOS app is absolutely terrible. If you haven’t upgraded yet please please don’t. There are so many missing features and bugs to boot. It looks like an pre-Alpha version of software rushed to market without being properly tested or checked.
PLEASE PLEASE  PLEASE Sonos bring back the S2 app for download on the App Store. If I could downgrade I would do it in a heartbeat. I’m a long time user and fan of Sonos products but frankly this is a big miss a disaster. This new app is almost unusable. This is Sonos’s Windows Vista moment. 
Please listen to your users Sonos, negative feedback is everywhere now. Please give us back the S2 app whilst this one goes back to the drawing board or perhaps the trash can.  

A company is not its products or its staff, certainly not its CEO, it is its users. We hold the keys to maximising shareholder value by buying more and championing the product - or in this case not. It’s the second time. Last time the CEO listened and kept older devices working. This time they are not listening. 

Playlists vanished

Total disaster.

This company has lost its way.

Management should experience consequences for such an insult to their loyal clients. 

Absolute moron devs and product managers. They can’t leave well enough alone. I’m very tired of updating this fing garbage app only for it to remove features. They JUST fixed TruePlay and everything was working, now I open the app and everything is disabled unless I update my product firmwares for the millionth time and accept some new TOS? Wtf are you doing Sonos?

I am so pissed off right now--after re-installing all my speakers THREE TIMES THIS MORNING AND STILL NO CONNECTION--that I would sign up and fund a class action against these hacks and morons.  My installer is supposed to be here tomorrow and unless he has a magic wand, I want this crap out of my house and I want all my money back.