Skip to main content

New Sonos App Update Sucks Massively

Sonos really screwed the pooch on the update.  Nothing connects now, simplicity is gone.  What in wide world of sports were you thinking?????  Was there any real world testing done?  Massive screw-up.  Thinking of pitching what I have and starting over with another brand.  Awful product

Sonos really screwed the pooch on the update.  Nothing connects now, simplicity is gone.  What in wide world of sports were you thinking?????  Was there any real world testing done?  Massive screw-up.  Thinking of pitching what I have and starting over with another brand.  Awful product

I am starting to think this turns into a class action lawsuit to recoup some of the $ stuck into our systems!!!!

Might be time to set up a class action lawsuit to recoup some cost of our now paperweight products!!!

Might be time to set up a class action lawsuit to recoup some cost of our now paperweight products!!!

Yes, if only someone would actually consult a lawyer instead of casting idle threat after idle threat on a support forum. 

Yes, if only someone would actually consult a lawyer instead of casting idle threat after idle threat on a support forum. 

🤔

Frankly, for a quality product such as Sonos…I am dumbfounded with the complication of the updated app. 
They absolutely regressed instead of improving.

Why would they do this?!!!!

Extremely disappointed and pissed!!

This update is such a * show!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Horrible! I have 5 zones. When I’m done listening I used to be able to deselect all zones to get music to stop playing everywhere. Now the only way to do it is to pause the music. Problem is, some services time out and start playing again on their own. If I deselect all zones the message “no output selected”. That’s exactly what I want - NO OUTPUT. 

Agree that it's horrible. Please roll back the app. Itusedtobe great, intuitive, easy to learn, and quick enough.

New app is laggy, volume of groups is terrible and very slow to adjust up or down after using sliders in the app. Just not a good release. Features I don't need and made the basic ones too difficult. No one likes it, roll it back.

I have purchased a lot of Sonos products over the years for my business and my personal use, in fact every room in my house surrounds me in music! It’s an important part of my life! Now I am selling everything to replace my Sonos speakers all because the new app is so frustrating for a long time user. The crashes the missing speakers the lag time to jump to new music Is ridiculous! 
I feel I’d be better off with an Amazon special than my currant Sonos system. I feel ripped off by Sonos… 

New App is f$ckin trash it's been a month now with no improvements.

Please fix this mess or revert back. 

In addition to what everyone else has said, the music services that used to work on Sonos now either don’t work or have limited access. In fact, listeners from one music service I have all received an email apologizing for not being able to listen to their service through Sonos. They implied, professionally of course, they were frustrated. As of this writing their music app still doesn’t work on Sonos. Lastly, I feel the new Sonos app is unnecessarily complicated and cumbersome. Instead of having something just right in front of you and simple, I feel the new app is an exercise in hide and seek and trying to navigate through layers. 

Remember when Tropicana changes the carton design for an “improved marketing” campaign and visual refresh to something as simple as OJ? 

the app is really not smooth and fluid like it was prior and when you make a convenient thing not so convenient, you ruin what was great! 

simplicity and convenience is key and has been the foundation of Sonos.

if this is because of the headphones, make an app that is for all portable products, not one app for all. This way the portable items can have the poor experience. 

not really sure Sonos headphones will be a success as so many over ear headphones are gone and Sonos is product enjoyed with others or in background, not isolated to one. I could be wrong. 

I could think of two other arenas that Sonos could place the dollars in for product investments and have ten times the success!!! 

oJ article for reference https://www.thebrandingjournal.com/2015/05/what-to-learn-from-tropicanas-packaging-redesign-failure/

This is literally the biggest * up in app history. How, more importantly WHY have they done this. Nothing works. There is No operating system. Can’t search for anything/save anything/do anything. WHY??????  Massive mistake. Beyond angry for over a month now. If it ain’t broke (it wasn’t) don’t fix it (it’s now 😉 🤯

This is literally the biggest * up in app history. How, more importantly WHY have they done this. Nothing works. There is No operating system. Can’t search for anything/save anything/do anything. WHY??????  Massive mistake. Beyond angry for over a month now. If it ain’t broke (it wasn’t) don’t fix it (it’s now 😉 🤯

First of all, your profanity laced tirade is against the TOS you agreed to when you signed up, and will soon be edited.  Second, even if it wasn’t profanity laced, your tirade says nothing about what is not working (and no, “nothing is working” is not an answer).  Can you actually connect to the system?  Do you see all your rooms?  Any rooms?  What are you missing?  Etc.  We can’t help you if you don’t give us any details, and if you aren’t willing to put that little effort into getting things working, why should we (or Sonos) consider you anything but a one post sock puppet just trying to pile on? 

I’ve posted before but here’s my take.

music library has been rendered useless (I have several thousand albums) as you can’t search, no tile view, no alphabet scroll.

no fixed line out.

Can only add to end of queue or replace it.  Can’t edit it, can’t save it.  So no local playlists.

app I laggy especially the volume controls which sometimes don’t work at all, sometimes set to zero  (they aren’t)

rooms sometimes disappear, had one room lose its name.

Some music services no longer available.

music library disappears.
app sometimes doesn’t hook up to the system.

app has terrible ux and ui, so much worse than S1

adding components almost always fails first time round, pairing speakers takes many goes.

cant fully edit the main screen, i dont want Sonos favourites, Sonos radio or recently played.

Overall a big step back from S1

Why?

First of all, your profanity laced tirade is against the TOS you agreed to when you signed up, and will soon be edited.  Second, even if it wasn’t profanity laced, your tirade says nothing about what is not working (and no, “nothing is working” is not an answer).  Can you actually connect to the system?  Do you see all your rooms?  Any rooms?  What are you missing?  Etc.  We can’t help you if you don’t give us any details, and if you aren’t willing to put that little effort into getting things working, why should we (or Sonos) consider you anything but a one post sock puppet just trying to pile on? 

TOS? That's exactly what the new app is - a load of toss. As for service, that assumes a decent service is provided, which is what was taken from us.

If you need help understanding what's not working, read the previous 5 pages of complaints on what's wrong with it. We're all piling on, because it sucks now, and Sonos hasn't even bothered responding to anyone in this thread.

Your one post (does that qualify for puppet status?) to chastise an annoyed user offers no help to anyone here, not even those that described the faults in detail.

Yes, we're rightfully pissed off.

Sorry for the profanity. I was extremely frustrated with the app and did not have the time or energy to fully explain the many many problems as highlighted expertly by The Alster above. 

thank you the alster for the above reply. Exactly that. All my frustrations explained in one. How can an update get so many things wrong

The app is total garbage. Whatever idiots run this company should worry less about their customers being straight non-binary or whatever stupid ass questions they ask now to profile us and fix their products.  I have to guess what buttons to press in this app just to figure out what the buttons or icons do. 

lol.  So instead of fixing you useless product you str picking on angry customers for using profanity?? Holy smokes. I really hope you guys get hit with a class action lawsuit over what you are doing. 

lol.  So instead of fixing you useless product you str picking on angry customers for using profanity?? Holy smokes. I really hope you guys get hit with a class action lawsuit over what you are doing. 

What makes you think I work for, or represent, Sonos in any way?  I'm a user, on a user's forum, just like you.

It feels like the July 1, 2024 update is worse than the June 24, 2024 update on IOS. Speakers dropping off and coming back on to the system, and the entire system spontaneously stopping have all come back with July 1 update whereas that had gone away in the June 24 update. Is anybody else seeing this too? And why does Sono keep adding missing functionality without making sure what is there actually plays music? It’s shocking how bad this system is now.

Agreed re 1st July update - now experiencing chronic lag on a Play 1 running 1.8.3.7-2.0 firmware. Anyone else the same ? 

I would like to use a lot of well deserved profanity which would be appropriate considering how Sonos released a new app because it looked prettier but knocked out all music libraries and many other aspects. It is more difficult to use and has no improvements. I guess they do not believe in beta testing. As a musician not able to link to original music apps or play downloaded music it sucks.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit might wake somebody up.

Please bring back old app, nothing works on the newest app. One minute no problem, then the fun begins.

I would like to use a lot of well deserved profanity which would be appropriate considering how Sonos released a new app because it looked prettier but knocked out all music libraries and many other aspects. It is more difficult to use and has no improvements. I guess they do not believe in beta testing. As a musician not able to link to original music apps or play downloaded music it sucks.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit might wake somebody up.

You can get your local library back by following these updated steps:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos