Skip to main content
Question

New Sonos app update sucks! How can I down grade again

I just upgraded to the new version of the app.

I understand that it usually takes some time to get used to it. But my major way of listening to music is my local library. Not only can I not fast forward to where I need to go → used to be type a letter and you are there

Nor can I not search the library anymore.

Until you have this changed back or fixed please tell me how to downgrade the software

I’m a sonos user for more than a decade and I have thousands of dollars invested. Please let me use my music system again!!!!

Sonos does not need to look like Spotify!

Guys, this is a bit over dramatic here!

Sure, last upgrade sucks and I will revert to previous version. But it doesn't mean anything about hardware, which is still good. We need to ne constructive. 

New UX are bad sometimes. What really matters is Sonos reaction. They should restore back to previous version and create a S3. Personally, I'm used to S2 and see no point to change. S2 is not very intuitive but once you are used to, it's solid. 

Current is not good at all. Sonos playlist are now mixed with sonos favorites... I want an easy access to playlists, which is my main source of streaming. 

​Alarm and sleep timer are critical too. 

But even then, it feels less intuitive than before, and it was supposed to be an UX redesigned. 

I hope they will listen to feedbacks 😀

Sonos sucks.

Local play is NOT usable anymore. I doubt I should keep this system at all.

Absolutely, I want to back out of this update, it’s hardly useful.

I cannot agree more. Fire the idiots who designed and let this app be released. So many features were taken away and nothing new to be excited about. As a software engineer I feel so much hatred towards this team who designed, tested and released this * update. Please bring back the old app or refund me thousands of dollars on Sonos hardware I have invested over years. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Just adding my voice to the growing users who cannot believe they would release the new app and expect users to be happy.  Apparently they don’t understand they are a hardware company asking us to pay a premium for hardware that needs to have software that simply works and certainly that upgrades do not remove features.  Whoever was responsible for this upgrade should be fired along with team that thought this was a good idea.  Telling us that it was needed for future upgrades is just BS, it doesn’t work and I could care less about future upgrades now.  What they have done is taken a dedicated customer and moved him to someone that will look at alternatives going forward and be very warry of purchasing any new hardware.  Hard to believe that Board of Directors of Sonos has allowed this to happen and will take years if ever to recover damage this single act has produced.

This is a joke right? This app is awful. How can an innovative company think this was a good idea!

I sent an email to the CEO as shown on their website and would suggest everyone else do the same.  Also found it interesting that he came to Sonos in 2017 from Blackberry which to me isn’t a great background for leading a company into the future but who knows.  All I can say is this certainly is under his leadership and a total failure.

Sorry here is CEO’s email address  ceo@sonos.com

This update is unbearable I cannot access my Qbuzz playlists WTF! The team responsible should be dismissed! What a cluster. This app is unusable no ability to create a play next OMG why? I could go on but i won’t. Looking to replace my Sonos devices now.

WTF Sonos, WTF??? Please return us the old APP! 

I agree.  This update is horrible.   Local play of my music libraries are not usable.   This app is useless.

I understand that it usually takes some time to get used to it. But my major way of listening to music is my local library. Not only can I not fast forward to where I need to go → used to be type a letter and you are there

Until you have this changed back or fixed please tell me how to downgrade the software

I’m a sonos user for more than a decade and I have thousands of dollars invested. Please let me use my music system again!!!!

I'd say they let the interns do this, but all the interns I know would have made an app that works 

SONOS has a very short windows to fix the MAJOR shortcomings related to this update. The loss of existing features is unacceptable.  I have been a SONOS customer since the product came out and cannot believe how they are treating their loyal customers. I use a NAS, Alarms and Playlist on a regular basis and from what I have read all of them appears to have issues.

How were these issues not caught during the Alpha and Beta?? If they were caught and ignored by SONOS management then they need to explain themselves.

I am pausing any new purchases of SONOS hardware until this is sorted out and will start looking at alternatives in case, they do NOT respond in a timely manner.

How about room EQ settings? I like to turn up/down bass on some tracks and it used to be one click away. Now it’s 3 or 4 and maybe more depending on where you left the home screen so it requires my full attention to find it.Same goes for volume in different listening areas. This “upgrade” really wasn’t user driven.

This is exactly what brought me here.  I guess I’ll just use my iPhone airplay settings.  Until I can figure out how to downgrade this is unbelievable, do they not beta test these things.

I do not like the new app at all. Useful functions have disappeared. Like the previous person I wish to reinstall the previous app and there’s no response from the company here on how to do it. It’s a disgrace. The system costs thousands and they can’t even be bothered to answer. 

The “add to end of queue “ has disappeared. Now everytime I click on an album it immediately starts playing. It’s counter intuitive and extremely annoying. This”upgrade” is a travesty. I really hate it and want the older app back. And I’d like a b….. answer

Absolutely ridiculous that this “update” was even released. You’ve taken away the ability to play music from one’s own personal library. Why? Some of us prefer to not use streaming serves. Since I updated, the only service I have available to me is Sonos Radio. Seriously? What about my library? And where is the subsonic support? I’ve been with Sonos since the beginning (with the big clunky controllers) and with thousands of dollars invested. Is this the kind of service and system we customers can expect from now one? An app that is useless with only the most basic of functionality and mainly for streaming services. I can add Subsonic on the desktop app, but not the mobile app. Can someone tell my how to get this functionality back?

What I wrote to the CEO

This update is terrible.  It may be the worst software update I’ve ever seen.  I usually love the new and updated versions of apps and software, but what have you done?!?  I like learning new things, but you broke my music software.  Why???? I need to find a way to downgrade, because the new software is unusable.  I’ll be using airplay 2 and buying different hardware until this is right.  Look at the forums, everyone hates what your team has done.  I don’t think I can buy another product if this is the trash you think is okay to release.  Unbelievable!!

Horrible job, if you don’t fix it you should lose yours.

BTW there is a Sonos App Redesign AMA. it’s posted in the forums.

The new app has disconnected every sonos product I own. The only one still working is my play bar because it’s directly connected to the tv and router. My boost which has the other products connected to it is useless. Amazon music won’t play from any of my products now. If they don’t fix it soon I won’t purchase another item from them. 

I've rolled back to previous version, total waste of time the new app

Get it here: 

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

For any recent phone select v8a (as in 2016+)

I've rolled back to previous version, total waste of time the new app

Get it here: 

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

For any recent phone select v8a (as in 2016+)

Does anyone know if there’s a similar rollback option for iOS? I need it desperately.

I just took an hour getting all this info for others, and after hitting edit, I am told I can’t edit my own response… ugh.. trying again, but much shorter…

This is for Android Phones

1.  Delete Sonos App: go to app info, force stop, clear cache, uninstall. You have to do this before trying to install older version.
  2. Find out your CPU architecture/ABIs (armeabi-v7a or arm64-v8a) with Phone Info or similar app on phone under CPU or related tab in other app 

3. Find old version of Sonos App: Use APKMirror (website through your phone browser, not the APKMirror App - that doesn’t work for this). Search SONOS and find version March 12, 2024 or earlier as you choose, just not anything from May. There are 2 variants, so choose the right one - either armeabi-v7a or, more likely for newer phones, arm64-v8a .
  4. Download and approve install of the variant you downloaded (security will likely require that you choose to allow the install as it is a sideload (not through PlayStore). It’s a risk, but APKMirror has good rep and if you want an older version of SONOS App, unless and until they un-muck this up, it’s a chance I was willing to take. 

You can get more help at Android Police Rollback Android Apps. 

This worked for me without issues. Hope it helps others. 

This worked for me...thanks!!

Agree. Appearance does not trump functionality. The old app looked worse but worked better. A lot better. 

It sucks! I use to rave about Sonos. Now I’m embarrassed to tell people I have Sonos. Fix it!

If you performed a manual backup of your iPad / iPhone onto a computer then you can restore the prior S2 (Gold) App.

The steps I used were:

1. Make sure your backup was done before the new (v 80, black) Sonos app was installed on your device;
  2. Erase your iPad/iPhone and perform a restore from the backup on your PC;
  3. Once the device restarted for the first time you need to immediately disable auto updates and downloads for apps (Settings, App Store). This is an important step otherwise you’ll get the new app installed again..
  4. Let your device complete the app installs.

The process took about an hour but I’m happy now that I got the prior S2 app reinstalled.. 

Good luck.