Skip to main content
Question

new sonos app released 7th May 2024 issues

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

I’m so glad I invested circa £3500 in this utter 💩!

Since the update, my boss’ Sono’s system will not network between devices (Iphones to Ipads to Mac). The songs in their playlists are not updating/moving down the list either. It just keeps replaying the same song over and over. 

I was thrilled when I first purchased my speakers.  Sonos *was* a gift from God where I was concerned.  But as of today I’m thinking that I need to dump my speakers (8) and go with another vendor. This is absolutely unacceptable.   How could they possibly release this trash? I’m in IT and we would never push something out that wasn’t tested (and clearly they skipped testing).

It would be nice if Sonos would provide some sort of reimbursement for the speakers that they’ve rendered useless.  Please think about it Sonos, you might be able to salvage what’s left of our reputation.

When i purchased my Sonos setup arc +era300s + 2subs, I thought that Sonos was a reputable company like Apple… well, I made a mistake and feel cheated. Releasing such an update without first extensively testing it shows what kind of company this is. Like others, I will never purchase another Sonos product nor recommend it to others. 

Mindblowerz, I’m with you on that one.  I have 23 Sonos devices in my home and have been a Sonos customer for more than 8 years.  I readily compiled when they forced S2 on us and made us trade in any old non-compatible hardware.  They finally gave in and allowed the S1 platform to continue.  I assume outside legal counsel told them they were headed for a class-action lawsuit.  It doesn’t seem like the decision to allow S1 came from within.  I’m just saying, internally, they don’t seem to make wise decisions.  This time they seemed to rush this software to allow compatibility with their new headphone release.  A class-action lawsuit isn’t as likely now because they intend to have the software fixed by the end of June.  They just don’t care if existing customers suffer for a couple months.  I’m guessing there is a large correlation on portable music gear sales and the start of the summer months - similar to having product for the Christmas holiday.  Anyway, I have researched Bluesound products as a replacement to Sonos.  Check them out.  They are affiliated with NAD - a well know name in the audiophile industry.  There might be a slight premium in price, but from everything I have read, it’s a reputable company and audiophile sound!  My plan is to never recommend or buy another Sonos product as well unless there is a measurable change in their business practices. Thus, my upgrades will be to another platform.

“I have researched Bluesound products as a replacement to Sonos.” 

Me too.  I may end up with a few Bluesound bits at some point, I suggest taking a look at Wiim too.

I was an early Sonos adopter and started off with a ZonePlayer and Controller (ZP100 & CR100) in 2005, back when Sonos didn’t suck.  After the S1-S2 debacle I swore off buying anything Sonos. I still have an Amp, a Sub, and a couple of Connect:Amps blended with a variety of other audio nodes.

I don’t rely on the craptastic Sonos app for control, I was using Roon for several years, but after being purchased by Harman / Samsung, Roon has headed down the Sonos path of unwanted “features” and broken updates, so now I run my system with Lyrion / LMS.

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

I cant believe they rolled it out like this.  I can no longer use my Sonos.  What were they thinking?!!

Given the latest update, if the (soon to be ex) CEO gave me some of his ******* headphones I would have to decline because I am "courageous!"…

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

While we are increasingly used to flaky software across wider industry, and the quality of releases isn’t often even Beta stages, the new Sonos app is utterly disgraceful and plumbs a new depth of incompetence. I already have a couple of Bluesound units and the only reason I’ve not bought more is they won’t support Apple Music natively.  But I’ve ditched plans to buy or upgrade any more Sonos kit - I’ve had Sonos in the house (and flat) for 15 years but the software has destroyed any loyalty.

Sonos, if you are listening. I will never buy another product from you if this is the amateurish way you update your system. You have left so many of your customers not being able to access what they’ve enjoyed and are not able to now. You don’t deserve our loyalty.

Bad application, not connecting, I to is joke, let us revert to the previos version, bad Sonos, will not recommend to anyone 

This is without doubt one of the worst attempts at an updated piece of software I think I have ever seen in 40 years in the IT industry. 

It is possible that worse updates have been released, but it is hardly a competition that any company would seek to win.

Yes, I have managed to play music, but blasting my wife awake at 1am, unable to control the volume or play from any of my carefully constructed playlists has, as others have said, effectively 'bricked' my £1000 music system.

I'm really not sure there is anything Sonos could now do to regain my trust. 

If they can mail me the old APK, with instruction on how to avoid updating to their next car crash of an update might be a start, but honestly it may well be to late. Yes I'll try my laptop, but I can hardly lug that around the house, tho if they sent me £500 I might try to find a lightweight replacement I can use in the interim.

There are so many faults, I can't believe anyone could have signed off the release.

A sincere apology for the time and money that tens of thousands of users have now wasted, would be a start, but the only thing keeping customers loyalty will be the huge sums they have previously sunk into their Sonos ecosystem and products

WHAT A DISASTER. APPALLING INCOMPETENCE, HEADS SHOULD ROLL OVER THIS. 

I despair.

​​

Hands down the worst app next to the SiriusXM app - that was even crappier.  The Sonos controller will no longer add my music library.  All my favorites were greyed out until I realized it couldn’t access my library. Can’t play ANYTHING I really want to hear now - thanks for destroying a perfectly working system.  My weekend WASTED trying to fix their crappy software - Sonos should be paying us money for fixing and working around their crappy app release.

This is without doubt one of the worst attempts at an updated piece of software I think I have ever seen in 40 years in the IT industry. 

It is possible that worse updates have been released, but it is hardly a competition that any company would seek to win.

Yes, I have managed to play music, but blasting my wife awake at 1am, unable to control the volume or play from any of my carefully constructed playlists has, as others have said, effectively 'bricked' my £1000 music system.

I'm really not sure there is anything Sonos could now do to regain my trust. 

If they can mail me the old APK, with instruction on how to avoid updating to their next car crash of an update might be a start, but honestly it may well be to late. Yes I'll try my laptop, but I can hardly lug that around the house, tho if they sent me £500 I might try to find a lightweight replacement I can use in the interim.

There are so many faults, I can't believe anyone could have signed off the release.

A sincere apology for the time and money that tens of thousands of users have now wasted, would be a start, but the only thing keeping customers loyalty will be the huge sums they have previously sunk into their Sonos ecosystem and products

WHAT A DISASTER. APPALLING INCOMPETENCE, HEADS SHOULD ROLL OVER THIS. 

I despair.

​​

But it took CoUrAgE. 

*cringe*

Actually, no. My neighbours 11 year old granddaughter has a brain tumour and going through hell. She has ‘courage’. Courage is not rushing out a half-baked app.

Saying you have courage for doing that just makes you look like an entitled d***.

Should have also been a red flag that the software was not fit for purpose and would not be accepted well. 

Arrogant would be a better word. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

What a totally rubbish ‘upgrade’ with new SONOS app!! Was this app not Beta-tested?? If it was, what were the Beta-testers doing? 

Guys, PLEASE retrofit this app back to what we had - which at least worked! - the new app won’t even pickup my own ‘SONOS favourites’! 

…and if I get the ‘something went wrong, Try again’ app error msg one more time, I will dump the whole system in the bin!

We have all paid top-dollar for your SONOS products …please treat your customers better than this!!

Radley: “As for complaining, I’ve sent my email to CEO Patrick Spencer - polite but firm. More should do the same.”

Been there done that. What you will likely get is an offer of 30% off to replace any old SONOS 1 speakers and free shipping. Like, having problems? Then buy more…...

What is his email????

CEO of Sonos is Patrick Spence. His email is ceo@sonos.com

first you’ll get spit off by a standard bot answer. 

you’ll have to react again and display your dissatisfaction about the fact that your specifically brought up topics weren’t addressed at all. 

Then the CEO will indeed read your message and will have senior support staff reacting personally on your issues. 

In the end they admit that many functions dont work and that they work hard on fixing them. 

a downgrade to previous ver. 16 they’ll deny nevertheless. 

So it seems like many of us need to escalate to the above ceo address and relentlessly demand the downgrade to ver. 16!

After wasting yet another 15 minutes of time this weekend attempting to get the updated Controller to do something that used to take a few seconds – and failing – I decided to take a cue from an earlier poster who had recommended Sonophone as the best of the 3rd party controller apps that he’d tried.  Having used Sonophone for 4 days now, I confess that I’m still in the process of getting comfortable with it.  But it has worked flawlessly once I’ve figured out what I need to do to achieve the desired result.  Furthermore, it does everything quickly and without the lags, delays and outright failures that have all-too-often been ascribed by members of this community to issues with/on user’s networks. (This is sometimes true, but all too often not…)

So, I now use Sonophone on my iphone, and the Sonos Controller on two windows laptops…And so far, at least, (knock on wood), I’m walking in the halcyon fields of a world without the unconscionable misery introduced earlier this month by the worst software release I have ever witnessed and/or been a victim of.

Like a number of other posters in this thread, I’ve spent decades in the tech industry (33 yrs.) and thought I’d seen it all…But I was totally unprepared for what Sonos did to us this time around.  After having invested $2k in Sonos equipment over the past 15 years, I will not be spending another cent on their gear.

I’ve been a Beta tester in the past for Sonos, app and hardware, but this new version of the app is so pre-Alpha it’s shocking.  I don’t need to repeat comments from others regardless the countless bugs and missing features, but losing alarms and timers is poor, and as music on my NAS is my primary source, accessing and managing that is not easy now.  Bookmarked playlists from NAS sources on the home screen don’t seem to work, or is that just me?

Oh, and why do the volume sliders in the group screen keep sliding back like they have an elastic band attached refusing to let you increase the volume?!!! This is on both Android and iOS versions!!.

For now, my 10 Sonos speakers have been turned off! (except for my Beam, in case I need the soundbar for TV), as they are effectively useless.

One plus, I have 2 Roams, so I can still play music via Bluetooth from my phone, yay!!! 🤣

Did anyone on the beta program get to play with this junk. I hope nobody in the beta program gave this a thumbs up. And what seems worse is that if they didn’t share this with the 1000’s volunteer beta testers then why not? It is the point of a vibrant beta community to road test mad new updates before releasing them to the millions of users in the world. Unanimous  omnishambles  

This new update for May 2024 is the worst piece of horse pookey I have ever scene.  Who authorized the release of it?  Do they even consider allowing a small set of beta customers to try it?  At this point just put it back!!!  No real music service is working reliably.  When you play from AirPlay is almost impossible to go back to streaming from the sonos app again.  Its impossible to change or add rooms.  Searching from different music providers is near impossible.  Again just put it back.  I installed sonos ams in some 900 restaurants.  Each of them have 25-50 waitress types and not one of them can figure it out. 

I hate the new app but have found a way of finding some of my NAS library which had disappeared.

I had a large collection in Flac and I do not want to be without the music.

On my laptop I just added artists to my favorites rather than songs or albums.

It works, I can at least now select favorite artist and see their whole collection. Its not as good as S2  where I could just scroll down through all artists and their albums.

The favorites in their circles looks really poor but at least I can play them now.

Now I have 50 bands in my favorites though and it is slow to navigate like before….

I guess the wealth and success has made this company arrogant and they do not care but I am borrowing a Denon Heos Link and Denon Home 35 to see if I like it.

my Sonos may be on ebay UK by the weekend! 

This new makes your collective Sonos setup useless. I tried to work with it and get it to work with me, but there are so many issues it’s pointless. Is there a way to get back the old app (iOS)?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Ive just managed to connect my play 5’s again 🙂 there is a little weird crackle when using air play but they are back! just wanted to share the news :)

And we’ve crossed the online petition threshold.  Who had day 24 in the poll?

Having real issues selecting active speakers in new update.

When opening  app, it defaults to the speaker in my daughters room, even though it’s not active (and other speakers in living room are playing).

Removing this kids bedroom speaker from active selection is also challenging.

is there a way to prioritize speakers on System page?

I am adding my voice in hopes Sonos is paying attention. Basically we can’t get the Sonos system to work and we have resorted to Bluetooth to a single Bose speaker. Basically Sonos has disabled the 10-speaker system I’ve invested in!  This is an outrage. Can’t they just give us back the old version of the app?