New search not finding individual songs?

• 29 February 2024
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Hello

i tried several times the “new search” in the app but I’m never getting individual song results. Whatever the search, the result is always Artists, Albums or Stations.

Searching for song name is my main way of using the search so I always have to switch back to classic search to find them.

Is that a known issue or “feature” of this new search ?

I’m mainly using Apple Music.

Attached are 2 example screenshots of the results of new search and classic search..

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sseb 

Thanks for your post!

This appears to just be what Apple Music is deciding to show you for that search query - perhaps more people end up clicking one of the Stations rather than just the track itself (though this seems unlikely for such a classic song) and they are showing that because it is the more popular result?

Please note that if you tap on Apple Music in the New Search results, you’ll then get more search results just from Apple Music, and they will show - among other things - the track itself.

Actual track boxed in red

I hope this helps.

Thanks @Corry P for the reply.

i did try this, but for me it just doesn’t return the Songs section at all for a reason. I just get Albums and Stations. How strange…

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sseb 

Hmm. I don’t see why we would be getting different results.

Do you see the track if you swipe to the side after tapping on Apple Music? There are more results there.

If not, I recommend you try removing Apple Music from Sonos and adding it again.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

@Corry P , no additional results by swiping or after removing/adding Apple Music again.

However, I think I figured out what’s triggering this behaviour: I have the option to filter out explicit content in the parental control of the Sonos app, and on a hunch I tried to deactivate this, then .. miracle ! The song section appears now in search.

If I reactivate this feature, it disappears again.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sseb 

In the words of Alan Partridge, “Ah ha!”

That does sound like the answer, though I cannot think of any explicit lyrics in that particular song.

This is more of a feature than a bug, though after looking up the lyrics, it does seem (to me) that this particular song has been tagged as explicit by mistake (unless people have issue with the “Mama, just killed a man, Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead” lines, that is).

As a result, I can only suggest that you make a request to Apple Music that they remove the explicit lyrics tag from this song - that’s the only way it’s likely to show in your search results with the filter being on. Please note, however, that after enabling the filter on my own system, I was unable to find the track on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube Music or Rayo. In fact, the only service (that I have installed) that did provide a result with the filter on is Deezer. So, it seems this is deliberate (I assume it’s the publisher that tags the song as explicit, rather than the service, but that is just a guess) and you may have trouble convincing Apple to change it.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed that the only services that are applying the filter on my system are Amazon, Apple and YouTube. Spotify isn’t showing me song results as it's a free account that’s I’m using.

The strange thing is that it works without issues with the classic search. It’s just the new search showing this behaviour.

Also I can confirm it’s for any search on my side: I tried “Bah bah black sheep” for instance, and it’s the same, no song section with new search and filter on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sseb 

Ok, that might be a bug! I’ll report it - thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sseb 

Having said that, I am unable to reproduce this behaviour - with the filter enabled, I see no results for a Song search of “bohemian rhapsody” in Classic Search under Apple Music.