Skip to main content

New iOS App Version 80.00.04 **DO NOT DOWNLOAD**

The new app for iOS is an absolute train wreck, absolutely awful.  It will ruin your Sonos experience, and support acknowledges that there are issues and their support lines are flooded with angry users.  In spite of that, they keep pushing and prompting people to download it.  DO NOT FALL FOR THIS, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UPDATE THIS APP.  If I didn’t happen to have another device that still has the older app, I wouldn’t be able to operate my system.

Support says “be patient, the engineers are working to fix the issues and missing features”, my response was to suggest that they IMMEDIATELY re-post the prior version of the app, roll this disaster back until they can produce a fully-working app.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I got an email from them extolling the virtues of the new app and how great and amazing it was.

ALL LIES

The app is now trash. I can’t even search my music library that is shared via SMB from my Windows machine. Total joke.

They wanted beta testers. This is so infuriating. My wife made a good point about for how expensive all this hardware is, the software shouldn’t be crap.

FIX THIS NOW SONOS!!!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

We want the old version back!

Userlevel 1

Version is trash.  I updated by accident and no longer have my sleep timer and alarm function.  I want the old version back it was so much better. 

Userlevel 1

This is a nightmare! 

At the very least Sonos should offer an apology and make the previous app available until the new one is remade with all previous features reinstalled.

Oh and there are no alarm settings in the web app.

This update is a total joke. It deleted so much of the functionality that I loved about the product. Sonos now feels like the beta version of a second rate music app. 

1) Half my Sonos Playlist just disappeared. The ones that still remain don't display the track list until you replace the queue.

2) The Search Function no longer searches your music library. What kind of tech nerd thought this was a good idea, obviously not a music lover.

3) There is no ability to create new Sonos playlists.

4) Sleep timer function was deleted. I listen to music every night on my system. At least, I did before this crap update.

So much functionality was lost, and for what, so that I can customize my Home screen. I don't give a darn about the Home screen. I just want to be able to find and play my music. This product has lost its way!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

The new app for iOS is an absolute train wreck, absolutely awful.  It will ruin your Sonos experience, and support acknowledges that there are issues and their support lines are flooded with angry users.  In spite of that, they keep pushing and prompting people to download it.  DO NOT FALL FOR THIS, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UPDATE THIS APP.  If I didn’t happen to have another device that still has the older app, I wouldn’t be able to operate my system.

Support says “be patient, the engineers are working to fix the issues and missing features”, my response was to suggest that they IMMEDIATELY re-post the prior version of the app, roll this disaster back until they can produce a fully-working app.

I worked for two hours with Sonos tech support on Friday named Jules. He was very nice and seemed to know his stuff. He downloaded the newest version of the app (controller) on my Windows 10 machine. I believe is says S2 version 6.2 when you go to the top Help pull down menu. We tried getting the music that I had stored on my NAS drive to work, but couldn’t get the path to stay in the Sonos window. He explained something to me which is VERY IMPORTANT. Sonos’ new app (controller) no longer supports or speaks SMB1, which my original WD NAS was using. After we hung up and I contacted Western Digital. Luckily, I was backing my iTunes music folder to a WD My Cloud NAS drive and this supports the SMB2 protocol. I went into my Sonos Windows 10 app and was able to redirect my music library path to this network drive and Sonos (the controller app) immediately started reading the music library’s files and started “spinning”, which was a good thing. It was taking so long, that I went downstairs and fed my dog and went out in the back yard. When I came back to my PC the app said something like “Your music library has been successfully updated”.  I couldn’t believe it!  But it took me a while to verify this. It even kept my Sonos playlists. I think they are stored on the speakers? 

Now I’m using an older Western Digital My Cloud NAS drive which might account for the delay when trying to verify and play music from my two iPads. But I can. Jules from Sonos told me that along with the upgrade, he doesn’t see Sonos putting out any links to the older version apps. I know that Sonos is working on refining the IOS version of the app, but right now it’s almost unusable. I just don’t know how I will be notified when updates are made to the IOS app. There is no menu, that I can find, to indicate what version number or build I am currently running. I remember seeing 80.1….. when I downloaded it from the Sonos Support page.  

One last thing, Windows 10 (I think by default) supports SMB2, so if you store your music on a Windows 10 machine, you may not have many of the problems you are reading on the post. Just trying to deal with this new app and the fact that it is so limited for now. I don’t know why Sonos would have released such a stripped down version of their app. And to comment on someone’s post about ‘using a NAS drive is not the future and is old technology’, well I have over 800 CDS in my collection, most of which are Classical, and I have most of them copied to my NAS drive and rarely search for a track on a CD anymore. I like being able to control and own my own music. Last year my Comcast Internet service was down for almost a week, but I was able to play all my music autonomously, without the Internet because of my NAS configuration. 

*Moderator Note: Removed duplicates in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 4
Badge

Based on the recent app disaster, I have zero trust in Sonos and will not waste a single minute of my life on support calls with them. Glad you were able to make some progress, though. Sounds like you’re in good shape now. 

I only use the iOS app with Sonos. All automatic update options are turned off. I’m using an original iPhone SE from 2016 that doesn’t get iOS updates any longer, but that phone has a working version of Sonos app version 16.1 and I can use the system. On my newer devices that have downloaded the latest version of the iOS Sonos app, it’s trying to force a Sonos system upgrade to be able to use the app. As I said, I have zero trust in Sonos and will not permit them to update the system. I assume that if I update the system to allow the new app to work that it will kill off my working app version 16.1. I’m keeping things as they are until I can find a good alternative to Sonos. They’ve lost me for good. 

I have the new version for Android and it’s basically unusable feature-wise as well. Same feelings as others have posted: ruins the listening experience, Sonos should address immediately one way or another. My best option now is to get out old bluetooth speakers and use the Amazon Prime Music app (my service) to queue up songs the way I want to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have the new version for Android and it’s basically unusable feature-wise as well. Same feelings as others have posted: ruins the listening experience, Sonos should address immediately one way or another. My best option now is to get out old bluetooth speakers and use the Amazon Prime Music app (my service) to queue up songs the way I want to.

Hi @joeyzero, the one great thing about the new Android app is you can replace it with the old Android app. The process is pretty straightforward ...

• Delete the new Sonos app (this step is required)
  • Go to APKMirror, search for Sonos S2, select v16.1, download to your device
  • Install the v16.1 app
  • Turn off automatic updates in Google Play

… works like a charm, even with the newer v16.2 firmware.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I worked for two hours with Sonos tech support on Friday named Jules. He was very nice and seemed to know his stuff. He downloaded the newest version of the app (controller) on my Windows 10 machine. I believe is says S2 version 6.2 when you go to the top Help pull down menu. We tried getting the music that I had stored on my NAS drive to work, but couldn’t get the path to stay in the Sonos window. He explained something to me which is VERY IMPORTANT. Sonos’ new app (controller) no longer supports or speaks SMB1, which my original WD NAS was using. After we hung up and I contacted Western Digital. Luckily, I was backing my iTunes music folder to a WD My Cloud NAS drive and this supports the SMB2 protocol. I went into my Sonos Windows 10 app and was able to redirect my music library path to this network drive and Sonos (the controller app) immediately started reading the music library’s files and started “spinning”, which was a good thing. It was taking so long, that I went downstairs and fed my dog and went out in the back yard. When I came back to my PC the app said something like “Your music library has been successfully updated”.  I couldn’t believe it!  But it took me a while to verify this. It even kept my Sonos playlists. I think they are stored on the speakers? 

Now I’m using an older Western Digital My Cloud NAS drive which might account for the delay when trying to verify and play music from my two iPads. But I can. Jules from Sonos told me that along with the upgrade, he doesn’t see Sonos putting out any links to the older version apps. I know that Sonos is working on refining the IOS version of the app, but right now it’s almost unusable. I just don’t know how I will be notified when updates are made to the IOS app. There is no menu, that I can find, to indicate what version number or build I am currently running. I remember seeing 80.1….. when I downloaded it from the Sonos Support page.  

One last thing, Windows 10 (I think by default) supports SMB2, so if you store your music on a Windows 10 machine, you may not have many of the problems you are reading on the post. Just trying to deal with this new app and the fact that it is so limited for now. I don’t know why Sonos would have released such a stripped down version of their app. And to comment on someone’s post about ‘using a NAS drive is not the future and is old technology’, well I have over 800 CDS in my collection, most of which are Classical, and I have most of them copied to my NAS drive and rarely search for a track on a CD anymore. I like being able to control and own my own music. Last year my Comcast Internet service was down for almost a week, but I was able to play all my music autonomously, without the Internet because of my NAS configuration. 

*Moderator Note: Removed duplicates in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I don’t know how this popped up again. I posted this a week and a half ago. I’ve been working okay ever since. I just check everything out each morning to make sure everything works. And of course, with limited queue functionality. I was able to search through my music library and add songs to the end of some queue, but can’t move anything until they come out with a newer version. But I have experienced some issues that I read about where there was much delay in adjusting the volume and changing songs, where it would be playing a song and indicating that another song is playing.  Somehow, that cleared up (maybe on its own). My setup is SonosNet and all my music is on an old WD drive that I mention above. I don’t use the 3rd party music streaming services that everyone talks about, so maybe by keeping it very simple that is keeping me running; I don’t know. 

I just realized , I do use Alexa on the Kitchen SL and ask her to play a radio station from Philadelphia. 

The new version is just a piece of trash. Please just give us back the old version.