Skip to main content

New app takes 5 minutes to open

I am running an android phone and installed the new app last week. Ever since, it has been taking 5 minutes or more just to start the app. It is unusable. I have tried clearing cache and clearing all data then connecting it again, but still no difference. The old app loaded in seconds. Is anyone else finding this?

16 replies

Same here. Not quite that long, but a full minute at least. My phone is a Motorola G Power 2021.

I have a Moto G8 running Android 11

There was an update a few days ago, doesn't seem to have improved it. Has managed to chop off part of the two Ss from the logo on app startup though!

One thing I’d try, without making any promises, is a simple reset of your Sonos connections to your router. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reload, then plug back in your Sonos devices. 

This not only refreshes IP addresses for your Sonos, but also reloads the firmware on both the router and the Sonos devices, hopefully clearing any ‘glitches’ that might be causing issues for your system. 

Not the most convenient process, especially if you have lots of speakers, but less effort than setting up reserved IP addresses, which would do effectively much the same. 

It’s not the speakers or the router. There are 2 computers and another phone in the house that all open the app instantly. This is an issue with the app on particular phones.

I don’t follow. Duplicate IP addresses would have potentially nothing whatsoever to do with other devices of any type. They could be specific to the Sonos devices, caused by the update to the Sonos firmware, when they update, and request new IP addresses, something that a phone and the two computers would not be doing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Everything is working fine but my Sonos is a very common problem.

The suggested Sonos power-down, router reboot and powering the Sonos back up is a quick fix for many and is well worth a try.

If it works for you a tweak that has kept it from recurring for many other users is going to your router’s DHCP settings page and reserving IP addresses for all Sonos.

Are you reading the issue posted???  The issue is not about connecting to the Sonos system, it’s about how long it takes the app to open. Once open, everything works great.  There are several other devices in the home where the app launches instantly. This has nothing to do with IP addresses or DHCP settings.

The app, when it is opened, reaches out to do a handshake with each device it controls on the network. If it runs into difficulty, it continues to attempt the connection until an unknown time out. It doesn’t ‘display’, or finish ‘opening’ until it has successfully reached (or timed out on) each device. This is most likely the reason why both I and @Stanley_4 is suggesting possible duplicate IPs as a potential issue. 

If you’re interested in better data than our guesses, something based on a diagnostic, I’d recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, and not post in this community forum, as here you’ll continue to get people with direct knowledge as to how the system has worked for them attempting to help you. 

We recognize that you are closer to the direct issue, all we’re trying to provide is expertise based on previous experience and knowledge. But unfortunately, Sonos Support themselves don’t frequent this user community, calling in is this best way to speak to them and get direct answers to your issue. 

I’ve had the IPs for these devices pinned on the router since I got them, and if what you are suggesting were the issue, then all devices wouldn’t be able to connect. Further when it times out, it wouldn’t have access to the system. At the end of the long app open time, the system is fully functional. Also the IP addresses of the speakers would not have changed simply by downloading the new app…

Great. You’re certainly closer to the issue than I am, and have much more real world data than you’ve previously shared for anyone else to work with. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Exact same issue here on a 2020 Moto g Stylus. Looks like it’s a Motorola-specific issue.

Same here. The android app unusable. 3 to 5 mn to open. Then everything is working fine.

Xiaomi 9t pro

Same problem here: xiaomi 9tpro, 2 minutes waiting time. After that i can use my Sonos.

Very frustrating, so much money spent. And then this. Helpdesk does the standard stuff, with no result. 

Till now i could use the old apk (with no problem ) but Sonos shut that down a few days ago 🤬

Bad, very bad ftom Sonos and it takes far too much time to fix the new Sonos app 

Same thing for me. Xiaomi MI9se with Sonos Beam gen2. Timed right now, 2 minutes and 25 seconds.

I have not used the app with the new version, it makes no sense this way.

Your products cost more on average, and in terms of audio quality/price ratio it cannot be said that it is justified, I expected that together with the design and the possibility of wireless expansion of the system I would also pay for a good service and since it does not have a physical remote control, I imagined that the app was solid, but it is not (€ 500 for a soundbar whose only connection is the smartphone app, and it does not work!). 

I do not think I will ever buy your products again.

Takes me ~1min 16s :-(

I gained a couple of seconds switching my phone and Sonos S1 on the same wifi bandwith (2.4GHz)
Perhaps an issue related to the the OS, especially Android 11 (my case) like suggested in this post

What is your OS ?

Same problem with my `Motorola G Power 2021`.