Skip to main content
Question

New app Sucks!!

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

223 replies

Userlevel 2

I've gone to sonos app apk mirror as suggested above and I see the longed for previous app. Is it legit? Do I need to pay £3? 

I've gone to sonos app apk mirror as suggested above and I see the longed for previous app. Is it legit? Do I need to pay £3? 

No it is not.  No site should be charging for an APK, and if they are, I wouldn’t give them my credit card info.  There’s plenty of other sites where you can get a copy of an APK.

Userlevel 2

Thank you very much I've done it now. So great to have the old app back again! 

12 year Sonos user here.  Add me to the frustrated crowd. 

I have a fairly big system all upgraded - 7 amps, sound bar and sub for TV, play speakers, 3 other subs, and lots of high end hard-wired speakers in my ceilings.

Over the years I have dealt with many audio drops, amps cutting on and off, restarts of the app to gain control over the system, gone to turn on the system and had it not work, had to turn equipment on and off to get it to work or be “found” again when on wireless.  I have tried totally wired, and totally wireless and in between over multiple locations and networks. Its just a glitchy system in my experience, but I thought it was worth the hassle when it was running well.

I have spent hours over the years working on my network and Sonos equipment trying to get it to run reliably.  I know network systems are unique and can be complex.  I’ll give them that.

I was hopeful this new update might address some of my issues, but the app is a terrible downgrade in functionality for the way I use Sonos.  Not only is it missing features we already had, but it isn’t even running the features it has well.   Since “upgrading”, my system has been adding speakers I turn off back on, the audio is dropping from amps throughout my house as I sit here listening, and the app won’t even change album covers as the music plays. It it is very laggy on my iPhone 15 pro.  Guess we are all now involuntary participants of the Alpha testing group!

Like most, I just want to listen to some music.  I am tired of fighting with their app and system issues.  What was sold as the amazing experience of controlling music from multiple sources through the palm of your hand has turned into an experience of regular troubleshooting and resetting of equipment now with a clunky pre-release app.

Since I am so invested, I am going to see how their rollout goes through June. If not a good user experience by then, I have reached the point where I am willing to cut my losses and I am going to sell all this high tech equipment and live with the inconvenience (but total reliability and responsiveness) of some older technology with buttons and knobs. I long for the days of turning on the receiver and pressing play.  It worked instantly every damn time!   I’ll connect it to a server with my music collection and hopefully live happily ever after.

Seriously. This is the worst of so many bad software roll outs. Hardware is great people. Figure out software. Delays to change volume. Confusing as all hell  interface.  Updated never worked and still don’t. Why can’t you figure out how to do this. Engage your community and we can easily guide this. 

The new app is my last straw with sonos. First the horse crap with trying to prematurely obsolete perfectly good system one gear, then acquiescing to maintaining support in a separate app (additional crap) only after massive user backlash, and now this ridiculous app update. It's the software equivalent of the 3 seashells. SMH. Their gear sounds great, but this is neither a customer-focused experience, nor value-priced.

And now just replying to the community app is buggie 

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

I agree. The problem with Sonos is they let the NERDHERD control the customer experience and they build a cludgy cluster F that sucks. They make EVERYTHING HARD AND COMPLICATED when it doesn’t need to be 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’m pretty sure this release was rushed out to meet the deadline for the new headphones and Roam.  

I concur … and this is incredibly ironic when you consider the Ace headphones work without the app:

• You literally cannot play music through Ace via the new app
  • The app is needed only to adjust EQ and a handful of other settings

This App sucks biiiigtime!! Who’s running the show over there?  Wake the F up and get back to planet earth.  I know these are “first world problems” but the functionality is the WORST!  Can’t adjust my speakers and too much going on in the app.   It’s like the developers did a bunch of coke and said, “ooh this would be neat, they’d love this and left out essential, minimal functions trying to make it more complex and totally bombed.   Please give me back my old app!!!! I can’t honestly condone this platform to my friends and family anymore.   🤷🏻‍♂️ 

For the love of god! Go back to the old app. This is amazingly awful. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

One more day, one more problem. 

SONOS, WTF are you doing???

So, after an update that the app asked for the system (which I thought would solve all the problems reported so far with the new APP), now my APP does not find any of my systems AT ALL. 

To be clear, I must have more than 100 speakers in various locations and businesses. All our colleagues report the same problem. 

In our property in Portugal we have over 45 speakers and systems connected. We had divided these under different SSIDs, with different account emails, after SONOS had advised me that I was one of the biggest accounts that they had ever encoutnered. Everything was working just fine. You would go from one SSID to another, and the app, when reloaded, would IMMEDIATELY show you the system there. 

Now, I have to set up a NEW SYSTEM??? Which probably means I have to discover every speaker and set it up anew??? 

SONOS, WTF ARE YOU DOING CAUSING SO MUCH FRUSTRATION?????????????????????????VIDEO OF CRAPPY NEW APP

Userlevel 3
Badge

Continued… I need to VENT to someone: So here, I deleted the APP from my phone and reinstalled it hoping that it would find my system. 

And of course, it asked “join an existing system” - I thought yes, this time it will connect… BUT NOTHING. 

I now have to set up a NEW SYSTEM???? WTF WTF WTF . 

SONOS Get your act together. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Forgot to mention, the APP degraded since yesterday… NOW I have to set up everywhere a new system. EVERYTHING is perfectly fine with the network, everything works with an APP that did not get updated on another phone which belongs to my wife. 

SO WHY NOT REINSTATE THE OLD APP, SONOS???????????????????????????

I can’t believe so is would release an app this bad. Did they not even test it? Wtf!!  They took a great product that worked and broke it. I’m so pissed. How much of my time do they expect me to waste fixing this mess? 

Hi Sonos App team - I get it, you publish your beta app updates and let user reviews guide your ultimate UI/UX. The part I don’t get is that you yourself and internal teams must have used the new app yourself, a lot! What on earth had you think your beta was ready for public release? Please please please fix this, fast! 

I used Sonos all the time and features I used every day are now buried in an inconsistent menu. For example, changing EQ on an outdoor speaker setup and I still don't know how to add songs to the queue without totally replacing it. I used to make custom Playlist for my son every night, just in the queue.

You can do it in the Mac desktop app but not on your iPhone app. It’s ridiculous. 

Userlevel 2

now my mac client is crapping out after using the new mobile app. this doesn’t happen all the time but it has become a regular occurrence since the android upgrade. sad days. 

Userlevel 2

Continued… I need to VENT to someone: So here, I deleted the APP from my phone and reinstalled it hoping that it would find my system. 

And of course, it asked “join an existing system” - I thought yes, this time it will connect… BUT NOTHING. 

I now have to set up a NEW SYSTEM???? WTF WTF WTF . 

SONOS Get your act together. 

I think the “Done” button is telling you something. As in, you should be DONE with this company and their products. 

Userlevel 2

Aww jeeze, not a good look:

On May 20, 2024, Maxime Bouvat-merlin, the Chief Product Officer of Sonos, sold 40,222 shares of the company. The transaction was reported in a recent SEC Filing.

Like several people here, I have to preface this by saying that I don’t usually spend time commenting on forums but I feel like it’s necessary here. Whoever did the UX on this new version of the app really screwed the pooch. It’s completely useless. This is utter trash and now I’m wondering if I should return some of these new speakers I just ordered if this is the direction the Sonos team is going…

I NEVER sign up for forums like this but I HAD to come here and see if I was crazy or not. I f***cking hate this app. We play background music 24/7 with the Sonos system- and entertain alllll the time, especially for this holiday weekend. 
this new app is completely ruining our party  they took away all the most -used functions. We can’t cross fade Spotify anymore. We can’t delete songs from the queue  we can’t add “up next” to the queue  this is horrible. And I just invested in two new products - over 800 bucks - one being the sub mini. Sonos needs to fix this s*** now  

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Another first time signup to say this.
What a mess! Totally broken app on iPhone.

I just can’t see how this got pushed out to the general public in the state it’s in. Whoever gave the go ahead needs to be pulled up and questions answered.

You can keep ya 25% offers as I don’t think I’ll be growing my system any more. I certainly won’t be recommending Sonos to others.

I no longer have any trust in your system.

Very poor service/software.

You should have rolled back the app on the store. Then you should go away and make the new and improved (haha) app work before you release it.

Good bye.

Userlevel 2

Ugh. I had done the mirror apk and was thrilled to get the S1 app back again so I can actually see my music and change the queue. Couldn't see where I block updates. Woke up this morning and the bloody black one is back. It's like Sonos is forcing us not to listen to music properly! I'll have to waste more time getting the apk again. Where do I block updates on the old app? I didnt see a Manage option.

Userlevel 2

Ok I've gor the mirror apk again thank goodness! What a crazy situation. I've found Update automatically. Should be circle to left right? Just so I won't wake up to the nightmare of the black app again!