Skip to main content
Question

New app Sucks!!

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

223 replies

Badge +1

Just try changing the volume.  Good luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s really so unbelievably bad!! I’m struggling to even imagine how it got through a standard software development process! Did they just decide to make it intentionally difficult to do the most basic things? And oh by the way, these “basic” things are the features they have spent 20 years training us to use.

It just feels like a big “F you” to loyal customers. Of course, it also feels like a big “F you” to new customers as well, who will be surprised how difficult it is to switch between zones (the core differentiator upon which Sonos built this billion dollar company. Is it possible someone in software development shorted the stock and intentionally sabotaged the application!! I’m thinking of joining them and shorting Sonos stock as well. 

I have been a sonos user since the beginning.  I loved the innovation and the customer service.  I was upset when they forced me to replace my original gear to keep pace with their “innovation”.  Now I am livid.  I played mostly from my music library located on an old Mac I used just for that purpose.  I had built dozens of playlists.  Now they are all gone and I can not connect to my music.  Does everyone in the world just stream music now?  I have thousands invested for nothing.  Customer service is a joke.  I have many friends that purchased Sonos on my recommendation.  Now I feel like a fool.

New app is absolutely horrible. Doesn't recognize my system. I have 10 speakers around the house that don't play anything while I keep restarting the app and my phone hoping for the best. SONOS, what are you doing?!?!?!? Fire your developers and give us our normal app back!!!

Almost a year and finally had my new setup just right. 7 amps, architectural speakers, 3 arcs, mix of others. And now useless. I thought maybe there was one glitch, then i found another, and, horrr slowly dawned as I realized that THIS WAS INTENTIONAL DESIGN. Sonos what are you thinking?! I can’t listen to individual zones, it defaults to one unused arc every time it’s opened, can’t browse my connected music apps, Google doesn’t recognize it. I’m $30k in and the functionality I paid for is now just a memory  

Does anyone know how to roll back on iOS?

This app was developed by a lunatic.  Sorry for being so negative but give me back my old app.  I was sold on the idea that this app was the cats ass,  sorry but it’s not.  Just spent a couple of hours trying to decipher the new app.  No luck,  thanks for having one of the best apps to one of the worst.  All I want to know is what’s next and how are you going to fix this.

I absolutely hate the app. System works perfectly before now the subs and surrounds don’t play with the bar. System worked perfectly before now the subs and surrounds don’t play with the bar, it is impossible to find anything or navigate around the app. It’s an absolutely horrible designed app. I absolutely hate Sonos now I want the old app back

Badge

Sorry, but I am not a tech wizard.  Where can I find the previous (rust color) app (march apk.)?  I only see the new app (black) in the Play Store.  Much appreciated.

Google "sonos app apk mirror".

Select the 16.1 app suited for your phone. Download it. Delete the new app on your phone. Then you can install the old one.

After you have done that. Disable the auto update in the Sonos app and the playstore.

Done.

Thanks!   Just did this and it worked like a charm. Have the March version back and updates turned off.

For those wondering, you disable the auto updates in the app itself. Go into system and select manage. 

What were they thinking??? 

Userlevel 2

Another frustrated customer here. The new app is an horrible step backwards! 9 times out of 10 when I open up Sonos on my phone, it doesn’t find my system now (“No products found”). Yet, if I retry over and over for a minute or two, it’ll eventually start working again. Thankfully, my wife hasn’t updated the app on her phone, so I can always go into her phone and get the music playing. One other feature that I loved, but was apparently removed from the update, is the ability to add a playlist when music is already playing. That’s a major step backwards. This may sound harsh, but someone should at Sonos lose their job over this update. Horrible!

Cant even add a product what a joke

Userlevel 1

Should a moderator be reviewing every one of these comments and advising on solutions rather than monitoring for “standards compliance”?

Maybe a moderator could explain to me why sonos expects customers to wait on hold for 70 minutes for support. Why can’t they take a distressed customer’s phone number and call back? Why are there no live chat agents available at this time? Why would you roll out a new app update and not prepare for increased support? I’m flabbergasted. 14 sonos products in my home. That’s thousands of dollars worth of equipment that is now largely dysfunctional. Ive committed deeply to a product manufacturer that seems disinterested in supporting long-time customers whose investments seem to be becoming obsolete in favor of a new product. Should I throw out all of my older products and commit thousands more? Please help us sonos. We need help. Are you even listening?😣

Userlevel 2

So what? Sonos just don't care about the EXISTING customers. 

There's nothing you can do.They just don't  care.

Userlevel 4

The worst software I have ever used.  Doing simple things like adding a song to the end of the queue from search is hard. Bag this pos

Userlevel 4

Update. I deleted the Sonos app and paid for and installed sonophone.  Not the prettiest app but at least I can reliably search for songs and easily add to queue unlike the sh**** new Sonos app. I do t care about your stupid services. I just want to select songs from multiple source and dynamically construct a queue. The new app just replace the damn queue. Did you even test this thing for usability?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 3

Should a moderator be reviewing every one of these comments and advising on solutions rather than monitoring for “standards compliance”?

Maybe that moderator should be testing the worst app update in the history of updates rather than do damage control.  

Trash company is trash.

All these posts articulate well about the new Sonos app.   And to put the descriptor succinctly, the new app BLOWS!!!

Just try changing the volume.  Good luck!

I'm same thing.

Just changing the volume is totally messed up

I have been with Sonos for 12 years. I now have speakers in my house that I can't even use. I don't know what I'm going to do if I have to redo my whole house. I really don't know how you could have screwed something up so bad to where the people can't even use your product. I've been an advocate for Sonos for 12 years. I would literally not tell my worst enemy to buy Sonos now. 

I agree with everyone who is confused, frustrated, and dissatisfied.  I’d ALWAYS been delighted with Sonos in the past.  Service and products were outstanding.  What happened?  What changed?  Whatever it is, Sonos execs need to FIX it now, lest they lose many (all?) customers.

Here’s a question for you all:  when I try to follow the directions that people have listed about how to go back to the original app, I see only two choices, both of them for Android.  I have an Apple phone.  Which one should I choose?  Can I go back to the original app if I have an iphone XR?  (iphone 10).

Thanks, everyone.

Badge

It was bad enough when I had to mothball my old Sonos amp and play 5’s when they moved to S2. Now the whole system is worthless. Speakers will not group and apps don’t load. 

This sucks!  

Userlevel 2

How can we go back with the previous app?

Yes, PLEASE!

A new team at Sonos has to take this over and start from scratch. This is a huge step backwards.

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

It’s horrible!  Tood forever to find things.  Also, where did the ability to play streams via URL go?  I use DI.FM Premium service and I have the streams for all my favorite stations (premium quality and no commercials.). Now they are gone from the app.  This update sucks!

Congratulations you’ve actually figured out a way to make this system worse. New app disconnected all of my surrounds and sub from my home theater and there has been no way to fix it and your support has not come up with anything either. 

this system does not work with mesh does not work with reality. get your s*** together.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 2

Whatever genius had the bright idea to update the SONOS app should be fired. It was great the way it was. Very easy to navigate through.

If it’s not broken don’t fix it.