Skip to main content

new app : lag on volume / EQ adjustment

• 3 June 2024
  • 6 replies

Along with everyone else, I trusted the Sonos QA process and upgraded to the new app when it arrived. Lesson learned on my part and shame on Sonos. 

There’s enough written here already about just how mind bogglingly and unfeasibly s*** the new app actually is but I haven’t seen anything  mentioned yet about lagging ?

Specifically,  when I try to adjust the volume on my speaker using the mobile app the system refuses to accept the change and it defaults back to the previous volume settings.  It’s the same on the EQ adjustments.  So I try again. And the app refuses the adjustment. But then 30 seconds later the volume goes up and down and up and down again. The only way to adjust the volume or EQ is with patience.  One setting at a time, until it sticks.

Adjustments on volume and EQ used to be immediate no matter how many settings were being adjusted.

Please, fix the latency/lagging between controller and speakers. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
  • it’s actually much easier to navigate, more responsive, and just a better overall experience, and that is the thing for the 99 percent of customers that you’re never going to hear from as you go through it.” - says the CEO

You’re obviously part of loser 1%...along with 99% of us. 🤔🙄

“Your excellency, the peasants are revolting! You said it, they stink on ice!” - Mel Brooks

@DarthVadersDog,
Here’s a video (attached) showing a 6x Sonos room ‘group volume’ adjustment from my own setup - I’m not seeing a volume lag from the new controller App, with either single rooms, or grouped rooms. Are you hitting the Apply button (where relevant)? Have you considered trying a rebooting the local network, controller device and Sonos products, to see if that might resolve the matter?

I see periodic lag. Sometimes album art or track info doesn’t update or takes time to load on the player control. Sometimes it’s volume taking 5 seconds or longer or weird behaviour when grouping or ungrouping. The new app is buggy AF. 

I do wonder if any of this is due to Sonos moving some of the controls to the cloud and perhaps latency on the round trip to Sonos or the Sonos servers overloaded. Just guessing, but I do know I’m playing local lossless music and family members streaming Apple Lossless without drop outs once playing. It’s only when doing tasks  on the app that crap doesn’t work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I do wonder if any of this is due to Sonos moving some of the controls to the cloud and perhaps latency on the round trip to Sonos or the Sonos servers overloaded. Just guessing, but I do know I’m playing local lossless music and family members streaming Apple Lossless without drop outs once playing. It’s only when doing tasks  on the app that crap doesn’t work. 

Absolutely. The new app has a distinctly different architecture: both the controller (iOS/Android app) and Sonos devices communicate with Sonos servers “out on the internet” … and that introduces all kinds of variables that were not present a month ago. In addition to internet bandwidth and latency, there’s load on the Sonos servers. And everyone's ISP modem and router/firewall are now in play, which can be introduce behaviors that are devilish to diagnose.

For me, I'm convinced the problem is to do with using older devices on the S2 app.

All my newer devices work perfectly fine and are responsive. The older ones are laggy as hell.

It didn't need to do anything more than it did before they broke everything.

The hardware was fine and so was the software. They seem to have a policy of "if it's not broke, then break it".

Userlevel 3
Badge

My biggest gripe with the new app is the lag on volume control.  It has a mind of it's own now.  Zero rhyme nor reason.  Sonos has to get this fixed