Answered

new app (iOS) and local music library (NAS)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just to make sure I am correct (because it is hard to believe): the new app does not allow connection to a local music library - only to streaming services. I had the confirmed in a chat with the customer service  people but it seems so whacky that I thought I should check here. 

icon

Best answer by Cochonou 9 May 2024, 08:27

View original

113 replies

Userlevel 1

So this renders the 100s i have spent a system as i do not use streaming services only my onw music i have lost all playlists from my wedding my planned funeral etc and no access to my own music the system is now worthless, what a farce 

Userlevel 3

Now the desktop software updated and removed my music library and will not allow me to re-add the folder!  Says its not shared which it is.  Anyone have any tips?? I am SO FRUSTRATED!

Badge

Any suggestions on any other app or method to play NAS library on a Sonos system since Sonos has decimated that ability with their update. 

Userlevel 2

Why would any company reduce the capability of their product. This was a horrible move. If they don’t fix it quick I will need to trash these paper weights that used to be speakers. Very frustrating. 😡

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The new Sonos android app makes creating a single playlist for all of my jazz ballads by John Coltrane and Roy Hargrove impossible.

The android app update has severely diminished the functionality of my music library on my Synology-based NAS. So sad.

The music library consists of 11k songs contained in 1.4k albums representing 1.4k artists across 100 genres. Music is played from the NAS throughout the home: kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom. home theater, bar and outdoor deck.

Please make this right.

Userlevel 2
Badge

“…..Or use the desktop applications for Windows or Mac.”

CONFIRMED: The Windows “Webapp” does not allow local library management to any usable extent. It is very frustrating that I cannot now use anything but the new apps as my Windows Desktop Sonos executable will not work unless I force update to Webapp.

This seems to be total disregard for the loyal user base that came to Sonos for the local or NAS library features.

It feels that Sonos continues to push the user base closer to the inevitable Pay Us to Play YOUR Music on OUR SERVERS business model. 

Does this telegraph that Sonos is struggling to meet investor and stockholder dividends and is willing to throw out loyal customers for the profit?  Let’s hope not but I think it’s going to take a good amount of effort for Sonos to convince most of us otherwise.

Bad move Sonos. 

Very disappointed in you :/

The loss of my I-Tunes library has angered me beyond belief.  I've been a loyal Sonos owner for almost 15 years and am so frustrated right now.  Their once stellar customer service has been outsourced and they are doing nothing more than reading from a script to get you off the call as quickly as possible.  It took me almost 2 hours to connect to a rep, and it was a total waste of time on my part. 

Yay!  The alarm function has been restored on our mobile devices.  Boo! No library access.  Sonos, you truly and completely suck right now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I'm up to eight live agents on the live chat page and 10 unanswered emails to the CEO about refunding the cost of 3 speakers that they made useless with this new app change.

And as they update it it just gets worse and worse. When they first forced the update on me I was able to see my music library but not play the playlists on my music library. And now since they did another bad update after that other bad update I can't even see my music library anymore.

It's obvious that they're trying to force Sonos customers to music streaming sites by destroying their ability to play their own music for some guaranteed to be selfish and greedy reason.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Anyone that figures out a good class action suit because of this system destroying update be sure to notify us on this board. I'm in 100%. The CEO refuses to even respond to my nearly dozen emails demanding a full refund for my useless system thanks to their bad business plan.

Have tried all the available third party apps for iOS and the clear winner is SonoPhone.

Will be using that until Sonos get their act together or I move on to a different system. This update has ruined my whole experience and I am so angry - leaving poor (accurate) reviews wherever I can...

Ok I did the chat and they said no way to get access to my music library on my Mac mini.  So I took your advice and purchased SonoPhone.  How do I get it to see my library???

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No, actually it allows connecting to a local library, but with a lot of limitations :

• No set-up of new librairies
  • No indexing of the music librairies
  • No search in the music librairies
  • No full shuffle play of the music libraries
  • No queue control (but it is the same from every source)

So if you can, it is best not to update. If you have updated, the best workaround until they (eventually) fix all of this is to run a Plex server on your NAS if you can, and add this as a music source in the Sonos app.

Or use the desktop applications for Windows or Mac.

I thought I’d wait until mid-June when things were fixed.

Sonos just ruined that plan.

Today they forced hardware updates on my two Amps - no way of using them until they were updated. The update required - the new app.

Got on to tech support and was advised that I could rest the Amp (which updates it) and then add it to the S2. Yay.

No.

Once it’s reset, the only way of adding it to the system is using the new app.

FFS.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Is there any sort of end around that downgrades S2 products to fit with the s1? My 10+ year old play five on S1 still works as it should and still plays my music library. All of the newer frat boy gear is useless.

Userlevel 1

I, too, use a local NAS music library and am dismayed at the new app. Unfortunately I updated the app before reading the forum!

One new behaviour that I’ve discovered is that albums whose name contains a colon character (:) will not play. Particularly classical music albums often seem to have this character--eg “Vivaldi: The Four Seasons”: and similar titles. Colons also crop up in other genres too. The only solution I’ve found is to go through with a tag editor and change the album name in the metadata--which is a bit tedious and shouldn’t be necessary. Generally I’ve changed the colons to hyphens, which seem to work OK.

Not impressed!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

No, actually it allows connecting to a local library, but with a lot of limitations :

• No set-up of new librairies
  • No indexing of the music librairies
  • No search in the music librairies
  • No full shuffle play of the music libraries
  • No queue control (but it is the same from every source)

So if you can, it is best not to update. If you have updated, the best workaround until they (eventually) fix all of this is to run a Plex server on your NAS if you can, and add this as a music source in the Sonos app.

Or use the desktop applications for Windows or Mac.

add this as a music source? How? I don’t have any music sources listed, then I do, then I don’t, then I do. Either way, no way to add one! 🤔🤷‍♂️🥵 iOS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Does SonoPhone work with Android as well as iPhone?  I usually access my music library on nas and it's no longer working with the latest update.

No, iOS only.

Userlevel 1

God, I wish I read this thread before updating.  The irony is that the old Sonos app disabled network library refreshes, then told me to update to the new app to restore this feature.  I install the update, then… my library and all playlists just disappear.  What a giant, enshittifying f-u to a loyal user for nearly 10 years (and over $1000.00 invested in Sonos products).  If anyone starts a class action suit please let me know!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Another NAS based music library user here, who was shocked to see the new app being completely useless, to the point of class-action-I-want-a-total-refund-for-my-entire-Sonos-system-bad.

Thanks for the tip about SonoPhone. I prefer to use my ipad for controlling my Sonos system, so I just bought the ipad variant, SonoPad.

Now now my Sonos system is usable again.

The official app will get zero usage by me from now on. I am keeping it installed on one of my devices, just to keep track of any improvements that might make it usable again. But that would require quite a revamp, to bring back all the missing functionality, or a roll-back to the previous app.

I stream,sorry I used to stream 🤬, music from my Mac, now I can’t set a local library, anyone know if there is anything on a Mac to do this?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Have tried all the available third party apps for iOS and the clear winner is SonoPhone.

Will be using that until Sonos get their act together or I move on to a different system. This update has ruined my whole experience and I am so angry - leaving poor (accurate) reviews wherever I can...

merci pour cette astuce, je l’ai téléchargé et sa fait le boulot en attendant

thank you for this tip, I downloaded it and it does the job in the meantime

Does it allow you to stream from your phone and not restrict you to other services? TIA

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just found my app had upgraded on my phone. Try to see my music library (on a Windows PC) and “Something went wrong”.  It will play the current album.  If I change the album using the old Sonos app on the PC, then it will play the new album.  So it’s definitely not a problem connecting to the music library, it just - deliberately I suspect - won’t let me browse it with the utterly rubbish and unhelpful “something went wrong”.

Every ****ing time I find a way of making my Sonos system work again after they screw it up, they “upgrade” their app and it stops working again.  I tell my friends do not even think about buying products from Sonos. The speakers are great, but the software is a) bad, and b) is then made worse AS THEY KEEP TAKING AWAY THE FUNCTIONALITY YOU BOUGHT IT FOR.  Just so rubbish.

(My phone is Android, and I can’t see an Android version of Sonophone.  Shame!)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now the desktop software updated and removed my music library and will not allow me to re-add the folder!  Says its not shared which it is.  Anyone have any tips?? I am SO FRUSTRATED!

Exactly what happened to me. Down loaded new app to iPhone at weekend,  pile of sh*t, but could still play library from Mac, tonight all gone and can’t add folders again. Absolutely fuming, the ability to play local library was why I bought Sonos, utter shambles, company are a f*cking disgrace with no respect for their users.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Advice here on how to rollback your Android Sonos to 16.1 so it will work again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1cnxj1d/how_to_roll_back_from_sonos_80_to_161_android/#:~:text=Enable%20auto%20updates%20in%20the,app%20won't%20update%20automatically.

Also useful tips on disabling auto update (which needs to be done on both the App and also on the Speakers as they can force incompatibility with the old app by updating the speakers.)

@SONOS So let me make sure I understand this from all the things I’ve read - there is currently no access to the music I have stored on my computer through the new app?

Userlevel 2

I am utterly disappointed in Sonos.

The inability to access my NAS library has ruined the Sonos experience.

Their systems have always been buggy, but to intentionally remove customer desired functionality is bad business.  I expect a class action suit to develop (sign me up) as i have invested thousands in Sonos equipment based on advertised functionality.

The user experience is getting worse instead of better.  What is wrong with this company?

So this renders the 100s i have spent a system as i do not use streaming services only my onw music i have lost all playlists from my wedding my planned funeral etc and no access to my own music the system is now worthless, what a farce 

Yep. In their quest to be the new Alexa, they have abandoned their own customer base. I’m done.

Userlevel 1

I believe the older Sonos software preferred the NAS to use SMB1 protocol but the new version requires SMB2. I have changed the NAS to SMB2 and I can at least see the music collection. In fact I ended up building a new NAS with OpenMediaVault so it ended up quite an expensive upgrade option that was only needed because of Sonos’s “improved” software. I think they believe that only about 10% of their uses have local music libraries so we are not worth bothering about.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@SONOS So let me make sure I understand this from all the things I’ve read - there is currently no access to the music I have stored on my computer through the new app?

I had same issue, downloaded Plex media server, worked a treat but shouldn’t have had to do it