New App Coming May 7

• 10 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/10/24125866/sonos-new-app-features

Sonos PR team leaked some details of the upcoming app redesign. Need to update for the incoming headphones 🤣 

“Sonos will release a substantial update to its mobile app for both Android and iOS on May 7th, The Verge has learned. Based on screenshots provided by people familiar with the company’s plans, the app is receiving a fresh coat of paint. Sonos is also working to make product setup easier and strengthen connectivity between its many speakers. As always, the specific release date is subject to change if the company encounters any last-minute issues.

The revamped app will roll out as an update to the Sonos S2 app that the company released in 2020 when it forked off some of its oldest products and left them on the legacy S1 platform. 

It changes up the current S2 app design by ditching the bottom navigation tabs and putting everything onto one central homescreen. Sonos is also adding several quality-of-life features like a persistent search bar at the bottom of the app that lets users quickly find music. Shuffle and repeat buttons will now be directly accessible from the Now Playing screen. And you’ll be able to adjust a volume slider from the mini-player no matter where you are in the app.”

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Can't believe nobody has commented yet. Sounds like kind of half-assed commitment to fixing the commonly encountered whenever the S2 system updates, or if someone has older components. 

Better not make me buy the headphones to get the app!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’m a bit puzzled about the “making product setup easier” because that’s the one thing that has never given me problems (OK - except for setting up a CR200 remote which isn’t easy these days).

Hopefully they put a bit more thought into the usability, and change the UI so that you no longer have to touch the screen in a tiny little place to get the buttons to work. On the current UI they don’t seem to understand that the area of touch for a button doesn’t have to be as small as the image of the button. If they make the touch area bigger it will save (for me) a lot of attempts where I wasn’t quite accurate to the millimetre...