NAS/iMac help (NAS noob)

• 27 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use Sonos mostly to access local files. 

The app told me today I’m going to need a NAS to do this in the future.

i currently have around 16000 music files (and growing).

My files currently live on my newish iMac (running Ventura).

I’ve spent a frankly disgusting amount of time curating this collection. It means a lot to me is anyone would probably guess by just being here asking these questions.

At a minimum, I would really appreciate a recommendation on a good Nas for someone in my situation.

Particularly with the emphasis on doesn’t know what the F he’s doing.

If anyone actually feels like giving me a little more information on best practices for bringing one of these things home, I would certainly appreciate it.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

What specifically did the Sonos app say to bring you to the conclusion that you cannot play your music library from your iMac anymore?

Userlevel 1
Badge

They were disabling/abandoning an outdated/insecure protocol. (i’m not sophisticated enough to remember the exact verbiage here.)

But it elaborated that only use of a NAS would make it possible to play local files in the future. Then they provided a link to generically how to use a NAS with Sonos.

I’m inferring that this has to do with the app redesign, but it didn’t mention that specifically

Userlevel 7

I might be wrong, but I believe Sonos will no longer be supporting music libraries that are shared using the SMBv1 and HTTP protocols. If your iMac doesn’t use these, then you should be fine. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this can chime in.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That would be cool. Clearly, i’m in the dark. So I appreciate you at least lighting a candle.