Skip to main content
Answered

My Entire Music Libray

I’ve spent countless hours and lots and lots of money building my mp3 library on my home computer. I’ve spent a LOT of money on a built out Sonos system. Why can’t I play my personal mp3 files on my Sonos system?  I’ve been unable to play my files since the update. I’m beyond mad.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7

Be sure your computer isn’t using the SMBv1 or HTTP file sharing protocol as Sonos no longer supports this.

Badge

You’re speaking Japanese to me. Can you walk me through this, and possible solutions? 

Badge

Sonos really slammed me face first into a pile of mud here, haven’t they?

Userlevel 7

First check the Home Screen on the new app. Do you see “Music Library” listed under “Your Sources”? If you don’t see it, try restarting the app a couple of times and see if it pops up after each restart:

Badge

I do not have my music library available after doing what you said. By the way, thank you for replying instead of up/down voting and moving along.

Userlevel 7

No problem.

What model computer is your music library stored on?

Badge

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11390H @ 3.40GHz   2.92 GHz
DESKTOP-LLL1U7O
Dell Inspiron 15 5510
Windows 11 Home

Userlevel 7

Do you have the Sonos app on your computer? If not, download and install the Windows app from here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Then follow the instructions on the link below to add your library. If your library has already been added, try removing it and re-adding it:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos#

Badge

Error adding music
Reason: Unable to add the shared folder to your music library (913)

Userlevel 7

Try the fix mentioned on this thread about folder permissions:

Badge

Sonos permissions were already granted and displayed. Still, I re applied permissions, restarted, and I’m still getting the same error.

Badge

There are similar horror stories all over that thread. This is not going to end well for me, is it? How can this happen with a premium brand like Sonos?

Badge

Does Airgetlam care to chime in here with another solution??

No, thank you, @GuitarSuperstar is more than capable of figuring out which issue you’re experiencing. I am following, and agreeing with his thoughts. 

Userlevel 7

Try disabling this setting (if available):

Badge

Tried that one as well, but didn’t work (same error).

Badge

I called support (and yes, waited on hold for over an hour). There were a lot of steps to get my library re-added.  I had to grant the staffer remote access to my computer, as well as numerous administrative permissions and Microsoft access.  One of the steps was indeed disabling SMB 1.0, but there were numerous additional steps.  I couldn’t reproduce the solution on my own if I tried.  I don’t know if Sonos will fix this issue, so best to bite the bullet and call.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Me too - only just found out after the update today

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got the 913 error and spent a load of time searching around for fixes - I only use Sonos for my local library, so useless to me without access. I’m not technical, but this worked, using a Windows10 PC:

1 Sort out SMBv1 - a simple search to find out how to disable SMBv1 and thus enable v2/3 is pretty straightforward and you can’t do any damage (ha!) though for a complete non-tech some of the steps may look a little threatening. And anyway you were warned about this.

2 Look for any of the guides at the top end of the 913 community rant - they’ll show how to make sure you are on a private network and nonpassword sharing is enabled; then it’s just a matter of right-clicking your music library folder and sharing with the Sonos wiFi system in the dropdown.

3 The really really really tricky bit. Do a TEOTTEO (turn it all off and on again), fire up Sonos on the PC and try to add your music library. Zero success. Doom, gloom. Try everything again from the start. Do this three or four times between emails to ceo@sonos.com with increasingly vulgar language. Wait a day. Start the music library addition and then quickly walk away from the machine for an hour or two. Don’t look back. When you return it will all be working. I can guarantee this method.

Of course this will not get you any of the search facilities you are used to. If you add a CD, say, you will release it into the Sonos aether with no trace, until you look for an individual song name. So ‘play album’ from a new CD with eight tracks will take about thirty minutes to accomplish, track by track without an index to help. This is progress in the Sonos universe. What are these bozos thinking? And the IoS app is another matter altogether, flailing around between libraries and rooms like a drunken sailor the night before an examination. Utterly useless for any purpose.

Userlevel 1
Badge

OK - i found the fix.  Ken’s answer below is the start.  But there is a second step.  This is for Windows PC (I don’t know about Apple products).  Follow Ken’s steps then after you add the Sonos to share, go back to the properties sharing tab.  Don’t do his step 3 yet.  Then click on the “Advanced Sharing” button in the middle of the dialog box.  Then in the upper left corner, check the box for advanced sharing.  Click Apply and close.  Then go to the Sonos app on your PC and add the My Music library.    It worked for me. 

I am VERY disappointed in Sonos’ tech help.  I even sent an email to the CEO (since they don’t give any other email addresses for help).  No one responded to calls, chats or email.  But I am glad we ca figure this out.

Good luck…let me know if this works for you.

Ken_Griffiths wrote:

A quick search around the forum shows the following as the fix for error 913 - it’s  just a folder permission error on the PC…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.

Click on the SHARE tab and then click on the first SHARE button…

1. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  2. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.
  3. Open your Sonos app on your PC and add your music library.

Also see this earlier thread with screenshots…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Curses, Sonos.  Three weeks and counting...they really messed up everything from Music Library to Music Services on all the Sonos apps (PC desktop, Ipad, Google smartphone).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same thing here.

SMB1.0 turned off.

File sharing and security permission all granted to Sonos Wireless HiFi System. And upon the suggestion of Sonos Help Desk, created second user under Windows 11 Accounts/Users. Gave same file sharing and security permission.

Nothing works. Help Desk claims issue escalated and an invitation to fix it will come. Have not seen it.

How can Sonos be so bad?

My Sonos Music Library has been “updating” for almost 24 hours. I’m so sorry that I bought this crummy product. It will work fine, until it doesn’t, and then you’re faced with HOURS of dealing with it.