Answered

Music Library not updating after Sonos 16.1 (build 78151030) on MacOS

• 29 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Since updating my MacOS and iOS controllers for Sonos, my Sonos is not updating my Music Library.  That is, even after rebooting both devices and multiple attempts to do so, the Sonos app on MacOS remains empty.

All of my devices and Sonos speakers have been rebooted, this had no apparent impact on this issue.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

icon

Best answer by Forrest 31 March 2024, 01:03

View original

6 replies

Maybe see if this link will assist you to resolve the issue…

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have tried this, it does not work.   When I go to re-index the library, on MacOS, it immediately returns.

I have double-checked my settings, the host name that is advertised, library name, etc.   I’ve tried changing the library names, re-entering this on iOS.  I’ve stopped and re-started Media sharing.  Nothing works.

This was working fine before the software updated.

I’ve been using Sonos for a few years and honestly this controller software is lousy.  I has elements that suggests it’s built upon and band-aided.   They really should consider a complete rewrite.   Or, just open-source the code and provide binary APIs for the proprietary stuff… let us take over.

I have tried this, it does not work.   When I go to re-index the library, on MacOS, it immediately returns.

I have double-checked my settings, the host name that is advertised, library name, etc.   I’ve tried changing the library names, re-entering this on iOS.  I’ve stopped and re-started Media sharing.  Nothing works.

This was working fine before the software updated.

I’ve been using Sonos for a few years and honestly this controller software is lousy.  I has elements that suggests it’s built upon and band-aided.   They really should consider a complete rewrite.

The local music library is still working here for me, post Sonos App update, so my own thoughts are that it’s more to do with the recent MacOS update ‘perhaps’🤔? I don’t think anything changed in regards to the local library access in the last update, which was more to do with the Sonos Roam switching between WiFi access points according to the release notes.

@Forrest,

If you’re unable to resolve the matter, it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter. It could be you need to swap-out the Sonos associated player, or you may have a corrupt file or issue with a file metadata that the Staff can perhaps help you to pinpoint.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yeah, I’ll eventually open a support ticket, as I’m spending too much time on this.

Sonos has a number of internal diagnostic and debugging tools that would be very helpful to have in situations like this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I believe I solved the issue.  

1. For some reason, Sonos lost disk permissions in Settings > Security > Full Disk Access -- that is puzzling.
  2. Despite fixing this, it still wouldn’t Index.  So I had to twice remove/add the local Music folder on MacOS; after restarting the application again, it started indexing.

This feels like more than one issue; but I maintain that Sonos controller is a lousy application and I wish Sonos would just open-source their code so we could build a better one :)