Skip to main content

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

My music library from my NAS disconnected from the new app and when trying to reconnect I constantly get an error. However as an experiment I tried connecting the NAS to the S1 app with no problems at all. This upgrade to S2 is the worst. Just get a recorded message with SONOS Australia saying they are aware of multiple issues and fixes will be released soon. A joke. Then to rub it in I keep getting SONOS emails trying to upsell me on new products. They have to be kidding!

How embarrassing that they can still continue promoting the new app and keep trying to push new products instead of sorting out the mess they created. Shocking how they are expecting customers to have to deal with it for nearly 2 months without any resolutions 

My music library from my NAS disconnected from the new app and when trying to reconnect I constantly get an error. However as an experiment I tried connecting the NAS to the S1 app with no problems at all. This upgrade to S2 is the worst. Just get a recorded message with SONOS Australia saying they are aware of multiple issues and fixes will be released soon. A joke. Then to rub it in I keep getting SONOS emails trying to upsell me on new products. They have to be kidding!

How embarrassing that they can still continue promoting the new app and keep trying to push new products instead of sorting out the mess they created. Shocking how they are expecting customers to have to deal with it for nearly 2 months without any resolutions 

Embarrassing indeed. I’m hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction as I’ve tried contacting the technical support lines but can’t get to talk to anyone.

Currently, the only music I have that’s reliable through S2 is radio. I have an old but perfectly serviceable smb1 NAS drive that I’m unable to firmware upgrade. It holds a very extensive and obscure music collection. This can no longer be seen. Until last weekend it worked faultlessly s it has done for many years.

In exasperation I subscribed to Apple Music which mysteriously managed to index my private music library albeit with a large number of tracks and whole albums greyed out (presumably because they don’t have them). Now the problem; AM will only play two or three tracks before it completely freezes and the only way I can unfreeze it is to reset my router.

So I have a couple of questions that I can’t find answers to:

1. Will Sonos reinstate smb1 NAS support as it has done since I bought my first kit from them in 2006, or is it junk now?

2. Are Sonos able to fix the freezing issue with AM (I have very fast fibre internet at 100Mb plus) or is this how it’s going to be period (it worked fine before the new release)

There are a whole lot of other bugs that I’ve experienced like random dropping of speakers and odd volume changes, but they seem relatively insignificant compared to losing the ability to play any music of my own choice and library.

It’s annoying that I have had to come to the community to ask for help rather than going directly to Sonos, but I’ve tried their help lines without success.

The only correspondence I get from them is constant upselling of new kit which is infuriating when the current kit I’ve got is next to useless right now.

Thanks in advance GC

Sorry, but it appears we are all stuck until they fix this mess. It appears temporary solutions for some won’t work with others. Like many thousands of others who have spent big on SONOS, it is appalling. The comms from SONOS regarding fixes or where the repairs are at are non existent. It’s not like they can’t send comms as seen with the deluge of product emails they post out to everyone. I haven’t seen an official acknowledgment in writing that they even admit there is an issue. Also, why can’t they roll back and reinstall the previous iteration? Ahhhh so frustrating!

My library disappeared yesterday. This morning I went to the app on my laptop and it let me add my music library back again and it is visible on the app on my iPad. 

My library disappeared yesterday. This morning I went to the app on my laptop and it let me add my music library back again and it is visible on the app on my iPad. 

I added my library yesterday to my Sonos app on my Mac as well, after spending hours speaking with Sonos over live chat and then the phone. Somehow, this afternoon, on the main page of the Sonos app on my iPhone a heading has appeared “Sources” and my library is now available from there. I don’t know how long it took to appear but it wasn’t there until this afternoon, so took somewhere between 12 and 18 hours to appear. Don’t know if it will appear all the time.

I added my library yesterday to my Sonos app on my Mac as well, after spending hours speaking with Sonos over live chat and then the phone. Somehow, this afternoon, on the main page of the Sonos app on my iPhone a heading has appeared “Sources” and my library is now available from there. I don’t know how long it took to appear but it wasn’t there until this afternoon, so took somewhere between 12 and 18 hours to appear. Don’t know if it will appear all the time.

I was too quick to post, my library has already disappeared again from the Sonos app on my phone. It only appeared for the first time about an hour ago. I closed and opened the app but it is not appearing anymore. Can an app be any worse than this, far out this is rubbish

I was too quick to post, my library has already disappeared again from the Sonos app on my phone. It only appeared for the first time about an hour ago. I closed and opened the app but it is not appearing anymore. Can an app be any worse than this, far out this is rubbish

I have exactly the same on my android phone and tablet. The music library appears and disappeares.

Will i be able to see my Music library useing AFP and not SMB

this on my Apple time capsule? this on new app

Well my music library is totally missing and I don't have the expertise to problem solve this. I guess I’ll just have to keep waiting it out until it either gets sorted out or I ditch SONOS and the speakers. As a collector of music I don’t stream and have no steaming subscriptions. Why would I? I find new acts on YouTube or by word of mouth and buy their albums.

Embarrassing indeed. I’m hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction as I’ve tried contacting the technical support lines but can’t get to talk to anyone.

Currently, the only music I have that’s reliable through S2 is radio. I have an old but perfectly serviceable smb1 NAS drive that I’m unable to firmware upgrade. It holds a very extensive and obscure music collection. This can no longer be seen. Until last weekend it worked faultlessly s it has done for many years.

In exasperation I subscribed to Apple Music which mysteriously managed to index my private music library albeit with a large number of tracks and whole albums greyed out (presumably because they don’t have them). Now the problem; AM will only play two or three tracks before it completely freezes and the only way I can unfreeze it is to reset my router.

1. Will Sonos reinstate smb1 NAS support as it has done since I bought my first kit from them in 2006, or is it junk now?

2. Are Sonos able to fix the freezing issue with AM (I have very fast fibre internet at 100Mb plus) or is this how it’s going to be period (it worked fine before the new release)

There are a whole lot of other bugs that I’ve experienced like random dropping of speakers and odd volume changes, but they seem relatively insignificant compared to losing the ability to play any music of my own choice and library.

It’s annoying that I have had to come to the community to ask for help rather than going directly to Sonos, but I’ve tried their help lines without success.

The only correspondence I get from them is constant upselling of new kit which is infuriating when the current kit I’ve got is next to useless right now.

Thanks in advance GC

I believe the key to all of this is encapsulated in this “The only correspondence I get from them is constant upselling of new kit”; Note how the new app has a new option to “add headphones” so could that be the reason we’re all in this nightmare scenario. Cynical, greedy manipulation of previously loyal customers does not deserve to be rewarded and I can confirm that I will DEFINITELY NOT be buying their new headphones (or any other new Sonos tech) however good (or not) they are. I’m ‘sticking’ with the S1 app that (still) allows me to access & play my library of music to my ‘older’ Sonos speakers and I will seek to “downgrade” any speakers that are able to work on S1/S2 and will look to sell any that only work via the S2 or newer apps. I’ve ‘stopped’ the ‘auto renew’ from within the app.

Thanks in advance GC

I believe the key to all of this is encapsulated in this “The only correspondence I get from them is constant upselling of new kit”; Note how the new app has a new option to “add headphones” so could that be the reason we’re all in this nightmare scenario. Cynical, greedy manipulation of previously loyal customers does not deserve to be rewarded and I can confirm that I will DEFINITELY NOT be buying their new headphones (or any other new Sonos tech) however good (or not) they are. I’m ‘sticking’ with the S1 app that (still) allows me to access & play my library of music to my ‘older’ Sonos speakers and I will seek to “downgrade” any speakers that are able to work on S1/S2 and will look to sell any that only work via the S2 or newer apps. I’ve ‘stopped’ the ‘auto renew’ from within the app.

Just a note, I had auto update disabled in the Sonos app. As a long term Sonos user I know how unstable their new releases can be but it was overridden, presumably by IOS, so it went ahead and updated anyway. The aftermath is history and a s***storm at best!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Under “Your System”, your music library should be listed under “Your Sources”. It might take a little bit for it to appear as it didn’t appear immediately for me.

Not seeing it. It was there at first when I first updated, then it disapeared and did not come back. Utterly ridiculous Sonos. Get it together. 

I tried to add my music library on the updated desktop app as well and it will not ket me, I get some useless error message. (913) Garbage software.

I tried to add my music library on the updated desktop app as well and it will not ket me, I get some useless error message. (913) Garbage software.

Sonos no longer supports SMB v1 sharing.  You need to disable SMB v1 for the drive you are sharing to Sonos.  Then download the PC/Mac app and reload your library. 

So, I disabled SMB v1. I was still unable to add the library via Music Library Settings/Add (same error message). However, my my content has now showed up in my sources, and I am able to play it over my system, although its organization is screwy and not everything will play. So thanks! I think. 😃 

Sonos no longer supports SMB v1 sharing.  You need to disable SMB v1 for the drive you are sharing to Sonos.  Then download the PC/Mac app and reload your library. 

I have disabled SMBv1, I have downloaded and reinstalled the app. But still no way to reload the library. I’m on a iPhone. Any suggestions?

I have disabled SMBv1, I have downloaded and reinstalled the app. But still no way to reload the library. I’m on a iPhone. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the only way to reconfigure the library is via the PC/Mac app (the mobile apps were pushed out without this feature.  It should be coming soon.).  If you have a PC/Mac, download at the link below, install, and you get to add and index the library.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

As far as I can tell there is currently no way on the mobile app. I was able to get it to kind of sort a work on my desktop app, but if I do this I have no control from the mobile app, except adjusting the volume. So no, nothing in regards to accessing your music from the mobile app, yet, or so they say. mid june, is what Sonos is saying.

As far as I can tell there is currently no way on the mobile app. I was able to get it to kind of sort a work on my desktop app, but if I do this I have no control from the mobile app, except adjusting the volume. So no, nothing in regards to accessing your music from the mobile app, yet, or so they say. mid june, is what Sonos is saying.

Some have found that after adding the library on the PC/Mac app, if you close out the mobile app completely and then restart, library access will show up.

Some have found that after adding the library on the PC/Mac app, if you close out the mobile app completely and then restart, library access will show up.

Yes, it will show up, but disappears tomorrow.

Yes, it will show up, but disappears tomorrow.

Why are you throwing water on any help given to try and fix things for people?  People getting things working is a positive thing, for them at least.  Let them have that, you can rant and rave in the other 172 negative threads about the app.

Well after many hours trying to find my music library on my macbook air and iphone ipad

i rang Sonos support over one hour and many tries he downloaded Plex media server

on my mac and that could find and play via the new Sonos app my music library this 

also copied too my iphone and my wifes Samsung phone and tablet so we can play music 

again, but not my new ipad?

We are consumers at a circus watching the clowns dismantle the big top with us in it. 
Any defence of this app is self serving and hypocritical. Abject disaster. 
Sonos,  sort it quickly or face an exodus, other options are available. The hardware will not keep unhappy consumers loyal for long, even though you believe it is your USP. Hardware is only as good as the operating system. 

this was the case with the last update, does not seem to be this time. We will see.

Thanks in advance GC

How sad that we are all in this position now, after the product used to be sooooo good. I am also on the verge of walking away from Sonos