Answered

macOS Sonos controller insists on updates, always fails.

• 23 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Whenever Sonos has a system update, they require that the Controller on macOS be updated. They provide the apparent means (click on Update) but always fail to complete the update. There is no error code, it just fails to complete. Always. The app will not proceed to play music - it insists on the update.

The way I have found to deal with this is to get Sonos tech support to send me a link to the updated .dmg (installation image). I suggest that Sonos make this readily available so I don’t have to reach out to tech support.

If you follow Support-Update Issues, it recommends to uninstall and reinstall. But, it doesn’t provide a link for reinstalling.

If you follow Support-S2, it tells you how to upgrade an S1 system to S2. That process starts with “Open the Sonos S1 Controller” for iOS or Android. 1) that reflects Sonos’ reliance on mobile apps (and negligence of desktop apps),  2) it is directions to update any devices you may still have on S1, 3) it does nothing for the desktop controller on macOS.

Sonos, please, make the macOS S2 controller app latest version readily available at your web site.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 23 April 2024, 07:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The right app isn’t mentioned here? https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Looks right. Thanks, I hadn’t found that page.

This ‘issue’ appears to be going away on May 7.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/23/sonos-unveils-app-overhaul-with-customizable-home-screen/

The desktop controller appears to be replaced with a web controller, as near as I can interpret, based on this:

Sonos notes that the new web version of the streamlined app will replace the existing Sonos desktop controller. The new mobile and web experience will launch for all users on May 7.

Interesting. Sonos development has long favored mobile over desktop control, and streaming services over local file system libraries. I suppose there’s a revenue stream tale behind that. 

Reliance on my large, personally curated local library is crucial for me. I hope they do not take it away - that would require me finding a replacement for my 7 Sonos speakers and their considerable expense.

As near as I can tell, all of this discussion about the new controller is merely an update of the UI/UX, and not the underlying firmware/software that runs on the Sonos devices. So that would suggest no changes to access to various methods of input. But I share your thoughts.