Answered

macOS controller in update loop (16.1)

• 18 April 2024
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

Having an issue with the macOS Controller on my M1 MacBook Pro since the 16.1.1 install a few weeks back.

Whenever I load the controller it says ‘We need to get Sonos running on the latest software. Choose Check for Updated to get started.’

I press Check and it comes up with ‘No update required. Your Sonos system is up-to-date.’

I have deleted the app and reinstalled. I then deep-deleted the app (from ~Library etc) and reinstalled. Same issue.

The app and updater has permissions to update under Security > Privacy etc.

If I press ‘Continue using the SONOS app’ it then goes to searching and then puts me in a similar loop which is

‘Some of your products aren’t registered to your Sonos account. Let’s register them now so you can use them’.

I log-in and it goes back to ‘No update required.

Can anyone suggest what to do now? I’ve tried ‘Reset App’ etc too.

thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 April 2024, 18:28

View original

4 replies

Having an issue with the macOS Controller on my M1 MacBook Pro since the 16.1.1 install a few weeks back.

Whenever I load the controller it says ‘We need to get Sonos running on the latest software. Choose Check for Updated to get started.’

I press Check and it comes up with ‘No update required. Your Sonos system is up-to-date.’

I have deleted the app and reinstalled. I then deep-deleted the app (from ~Library etc) and reinstalled. Same issue.

If I press ‘Continue using the SONOS app’ it then goes to searching and then puts me in a similar loop which is

‘Some of your products aren’t registered to your Sonos account. Let’s register them now so you can use them’.

thanks

I’m curious if you were able to resolve this issue? I find myself in the exact same loop (MacBook Air M1, Sonoma 14.4.1, Sonos MacOS 16.1). Also uninstalled, deleted all files, re-installed, etc.

It’s especially frustrating because  since the “new update” on the Android and iOS apps, I cannot edit existing alarms or create alarms. The support documentation says that needs to be done on the MacOS app, but I can’t even get there because of this loop.

I guess my option now to edit alarm is to unplug all 4 of my Sonos speakers until they “fix” the apps? Help!

So I ending up resolving my issue. The problem for me was a Sonos Roam that was sat on my network that I had factory reset a few weeks before, but never got around to fully ‘re-adding’ to my system. So I went into Settings on the old iOS app and re-added the speaker. Then was able to ‘update’ it and continue to use the macOS app.

Oh I’m glad you were able your issue. That gives me some hope at least. I do suspect my Roam which has been a thorn in my side since I got it is one of the causes of whatever sync issue is happening. I removed and added all of my devices back to my account, uninstalled, wiped, and reinstalled the app on all my devices, and yet I’m still stuck in the loop. :( 55 minutes into an estimated 100 minute wait time to speak to support. Wish me luck!! 💀

It may be telling you to update the firmware on your speakers, not the app on your Mac. But then that is curious as to why it then says ‘No update required’. 

I think I would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. I have not had this issue on my M1 MacBook Air, or slightly older MacBook Pro (intel, not M1). Perhaps they can untangle this. 

thanks

I’m curious if you were able to resolve this issue? I find myself in the exact same loop (MacBook Air M1, Sonoma 14.4.1, Sonos MacOS 16.1). Also uninstalled, deleted all files, re-installed, etc.

It’s especially frustrating because  since the “new update” on the Android and iOS apps, I cannot edit existing alarms or create alarms. The support documentation says that needs to be done on the MacOS app, but I can’t even get there because of this loop.

I guess my option now to edit alarm is to unplug all 4 of my Sonos speakers until they “fix” the apps? Help!