Skip to main content
Question

Linking SONOS to my Hard Drive

• 29 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Good afternoon,

I have been operating Sonos successfully for the last four years such that we have music, at the touch of my iPad, throughout the house.

The system was linked to a Toshiba Hard Drive, containing my music, plugged into a USB port on my desktop computer.

Recently the desktop computer failed and had to be replaced.

I am now trying to set up Sonos to communicate with the Toshiba Hard Drive plugged into the USB port of the replacement computer. 

However, I am now unable to link the hard drive to the Sonos System via the Sonos app. 

Going into the Sonos Menu, if I click on “Manage” next to the System name, the option to access the Music Library is simply not there! – although, I am sure that my search via Google indicates this should be the case.

The iPad I am using is an iPad Pro running iOS version 17.5.1 so it is fully up to date.

Advice on how to link the hard drive to Sonos would be appreciated.

Thank You and Kind Regards,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This feature was not correctly working until maybe the last couple of days.

This feature was not correctly working until maybe the last couple of days

From the computer you should be able to go to the Sonos desktop controller go to manage and then add your files in from there, selecting the browser option to find the files and then finally click on that file to direct Sonos to it

Like I said this was not working following the introduction of the new app until just a day or two ago. I have successfully reattach my files to my Sonos and have it working pretty much the way it used to work. 

Badge +2

Dear James,

I cannot get past the firewall on my desk top - it is owned by a company that I work for.

I will have to speak to the administrator tomorrow and report back.

Thank You.

Badge +2

Good Morning,

The firewall issue has finally been solved!

I have loaded the Window Sonos app. On the desk top.

I’m given the option “Let’s connect”

Click on this - given the message”Connecting please wait”

Then “Not connected try again”

When this Is clicked the cycle repeats itself.

I have tried switching the router on and off etc. but to no avail.

Help appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Good Morning,

The firewall issue has finally been solved!

I have loaded the Window Sonos app. On the desk top.

I’m given the option “Let’s connect”

Click on this - given the message”Connecting please wait”

Then “Not connected try again”

When this Is clicked the cycle repeats itself.

I have tried switching the router on and off etc. but to no avail.

Help appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Follow these instructions (especially the link to Share your Windows music folder with Sonos):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Badge +2

Thank You.

I think I have made some progress - but when entering the information on my IPad Sonos App.

“Enter Share Info” - I have inserted Path//computer/sharename - I don’t need a password or username

but the “add”  link remains greyed out - I won’t respond to clicking it.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Badge +2

Sorry, IT won’t respond to clicking it

Badge +2

Just spent over an hour talking to SONOS - it seems the Firewall issue isn’t solved!

They have suggested that I plug my Toshiba Hard Drive ,which should be configured to SMB 2, into the router, and share the music from there.

I have done this, but have no idea what the path should be to enter the share information.

I have three questions!

1. How do I know if the Toshiba is set up for SMB 2?
  2. What Path do I put into my IPad to set up the music library?
  3. If this fails should I buy A NAS device to replace the Toshiba and what would you recommend? - currently the Toshiba has 242 GB of music

Thank You and Kind Regards