Skip to main content
Question

Line-in function

• 26 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I have just read an email from the CEO of Sonos, which made me feel better about my system. I have always used a line-in function to play CD’s and have linked my TV audio output via this method to my speakers. Since the launch of the new app, I can often get no sound through my Sonos speakers via the line-in as this completely disappears in the app. I often get told I have no products either, despite having 5! It has been incredibly frustrating, and the only way I can fix this is pulling out all the cables, and re-booting the app.

I had thought it was something to do with how I was using this function, but it always worked well in the old version. Maybe it is new app?

Has anyone else had the same issue with the line-in function?

5 replies

Recently I specifically purchased the 5 to play vinyl via the line in function and also to link up with the rest of system. Didnt have any issues whilst using it over the past couple of weeks but now the line in function is non-existent. Pretty dirty about it tonight and reading plenty of others with the same issue on different forums and kinda regretting not buying a stand alone system just for music :( 

Annnnnnd 38 seconds later after my rant the line in option shows up. Wtf?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use the desktop app, the mobile app simply isn’t reliable at detecting inputs.

I’m having the same issues with my Line-In sources not showing up in the app.   My guess is that the app is always trying to talk to Sonos’ cloud HQ, every time it boots up.  And, the HQ cloud-side of the system then has to ask my environment what its Line-In options are, so there’s excessive round-trip chatter happening between the HQ cloud and the app itself.  It would have been better just to store all the settings inside the app on the client. Trying to maintain a constant app-to-server-to-app internet connection is not a good design.   

So after a while, and especially when I restart the sonos app again (or a couple of times), my Line-In options come back.  Until tomorrow, when my cache clears and it happens again.    

It’s tough to watch TV when that’s how it plays sound.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It’s tough to watch TV when that’s how it plays sound.  

Enable Autoplay then.