Skip to main content

Is it safe to upgrade the Sonos Controller for Mac?

• 19 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Sigh,

Is it safe to upgrade the Sonos Controller for Mac?

I am using Version 16.1, Sonos S2, Build 78151030 that stills gives me access to editable Queues and local Music Library control. But I fear that any false move will jettison those abilities?

Would it be asking too much to ask for a list of changes you will be implementing on each successive Update now that we have had a taste of your surprises?

Thanks,

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No don’t do it. 

I have 16.2 S2 on macOS Sonoma 14.5.

All appears to be working OK.

I’m still going to wait before accepting the next “upgrade”. Sonos have a very poor reputation here. Interesting and worrying however that access to Sonos Settings is greyed out.

I have Sonos S2 16.3 on MacOS Sonoma 14.5. It is a disaster.

• I cannot load music library from Buffalo NAS. This is a known issue.
  • My backup directly-connected 4TB drive has to be configured as a “Networked Device” even though it clearly isn’t. Attempt to connect it as “Another folder or a drive connected to my computer” fails.
  • I cannot load music library from the backup directly-connected 4TB drive, unless I disable the Apple firewall. The firewall is configured to incoming connections for Sonos and SMB, but no joy.
  • Several of my newer albums are indexed incorrectly. Some have duplicate album entries, some have tracks incorrectly ordered.

Sonos support is hardly “world class” (as they claim at the end of the support survey). Examples:

• One waits on phone hold for 20 to 45 minutes.
  • One cannot talk to an actual support engineer. The Level 1 contact has an engineer -- if available -- look over their shoulder at the screen share, but all communication is through the contact.
  • The solution I have been given thrice now, when the library connection fails, is simply to open everything up: read/write access for everyone, everything shared, firewall disabled. Rather than configuring the minimum to permit access to the music drive.
  • One cannot talk with a technical engineer. They may call you back, someday.
  • One cannot revert to a previous (working) release.