Drop Outs

• 5 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 2 replies

Persistent drop outs when playing Amazon Music via Sonos. Usually happens at the start of a song for about ten seconds and then reverts to normal via set up of playbar, rears and subwoofer. Sometimes songs stop mid way through for a few seconds ( no sound) and then resume or will not play at all. Virgin Media router hub 4 has been replaced with new hub 4 but it has made no difference. Sonos on Channel 11. Router is in a cupboard but the issue has not occurred until the last few months. Any thoughts on how to address the issue would be welcome. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You mention Sonos is on channel 11 - I presume from that statement you are using SonosNet - so can you kindly describe the following:

• Which Sonos device(s) is/are wired direct back to the Router?
  • How far away is the wired Sonos product from the Router, or any other WiFi access point?
  • What channel is in use by the routers 2.4Ghz band and what channel-width is in use by that band?
  • Are the routers WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App network settings and if so what Sonos devices are using using that wireless connection, if any? (i.e. Sonos portable products or new Era speakers?)
  • Any switches on the network setup (managed or unmanaged?)
  • Any other WiFi access points or extenders, besides the main router?

Badge

Thank you for the reply. Nothing wired into the router. 2.4 Ghz, I do not know what channel width is in use. The router wi fi credentials are stored in the app network settings. All Sonos devices ( play bar, sub and Play 3 rears) using the wi fi. No switches and extender provided by ISP plugged in upstairs. Issue occurs whether or not extender plugged in. 

Thank you for the reply. Nothing wired into the router. 2.4 Ghz, I do not know what channel width is in use. The router wi fi credentials are stored in the app network settings. All Sonos devices ( play bar, sub and Play 3 rears) using the wi fi. No switches and extender provided by ISP plugged in upstairs. Issue occurs whether or not extender plugged in. 

I would perhaps try a different 2.4Ghz Wifi channel, use either channel 1 or 6 instead and see if that changes anything - whilst in the router settings, it would help if you can change the channel-width to 20Mhz only. I think the VM routers default to 40Mhz. 

Also if you look in the ‘Settings/System’ area of the Sonos App and go into your Sonos room(s) it will show you the devices network connection (see screenshot) - perhaps see what the SNR level is for each device connected to your router - you are looking for an SNR level greater than 45dB, so just check that is the case.