Skip to main content
Question

Cannot connect my WD Nas after Sonos mayor update

• 6 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

as mentioned in the title, I currently have a problem connecting my WD nas (My Book World Edition II) to the Sonos app. First of all I would like to say that in the past my nas connected correctly to Sonos and I have never done an update of the fimware or settings of the nas. 
After an update of the Sonos application the shared music library has disappeared from the application and I can no longer reconnect the nas. 
However, I have searched the nas settings to see if there are any problems with smb1 support but I cannot find anything about it. All I can say is that before the update everything worked and the nas configuration was not changed. 

As a side info, I can correctly connect to the nas from my Windows10 system. 

Thank you in advance

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It’s certainly worth checking SMB support of your device. If you are running Sonos S1 software you have to use SMBv1. If you are on Sonos S2 you have to use SMBv2 or above.

I posted before about how to check the protocol that the NAS is using:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/querying-smb-version-with-respect-to-local-library-issues-6897075

I can’t see anything online that confirms which versions of SMB your NAS supports, and these types of drives don’t seem to provide SMB config via a GUI. My really old MYBOOKLIVE does support SMBv2.

If your NAS only supports SMBv1 and you are running Sonos S2 then you are out of luck unfortunately.

I think I start to get it. 

I have Sonos S2 which as you said it uses SMB2 and by searching on the internet I found out that my old nas only support SMB1. This may be the source of the issue. 

Therefore I need to figure out if is possible to move from S2 to S1. in order to keep using my present nas system. 

I think I start to get it. 

I have Sonos S2 which as you said it uses SMB2 and by searching on the internet I found out that my old nas only support SMB1. This may be the source of the issue. 

Therefore I need to figure out if is possible to move from S2 to S1. in order to keep using my present nas system. 

I would go the other way and change your SMBv1-only NAS - the reason it’s no longer supported by Sonos, Microsoft, Apple & Google etc. is the security vulnerabilities it presents. Just search Google for "SMBv1 vulnerabilities” and have a read of some of the issues… but it’s entirely a matter for yourself what you prefer to do.