Answered

Can't log in to Sonos account on S2 app

Hi, I’ve been unable for the last few days to login to my Sonos account in the Sonos 2 app. I receive an error that says “Let’s try that again Something went wrong. Make sure your mobile device is connected to the internet and try again.”

I receive the same error when trying to do anything that would seem to require an internet connection: Connecting to music services, TruePlay, Network setting, etc. 

I’ve tried every troubleshooting tip I could find: restarting the app, deleting and reinstalling the app, rebooting my router, disconnecting things that may be causing interference.” And, yes, I’m definitely connected to the internet on my phone. 

I’m at a loss so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 May 2023, 03:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Any chance you’re running a VPN, doing some port blocking, or a virus /Trojan protection app? Some ‘work profiles’ when installed on a phone can also be trouble…

Or, for that matter, a mesh network of some kind?

Any chance you’re running a VPN, doing some port blocking, or a virus /Trojan protection app? Some ‘work profiles’ when installed on a phone can also be trouble…

Yes, my company had installed MS Defender for Endpoint on my device with VPN enabled. I disconnected and that resolved my issue. Thank you!

But I’m going to be forced to turn Defender back on. Will I be OK now that I’ve successfully signed into my Sonos account and connected to a music service? Or might it block access in the future?

You may need to turn it ‘off’ on occasion. It may just be blocking access to Sonos’ update servers, or it may be blocking access to other things, too…only you, and your IT department could say. 

VPNs are designed to block external devices connecting….like your Sonos Speakers to the controller. You may need a separate, ‘personal’ device that doesn’t have Defender on it to use to control your Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The loopback VPN in Defender is not compatible with Sonos. It interferes with login and music services in the Sonos app.

Hi, I’m having the same issue but not running a VPN and have not changed my network in any way. Any ideas to help?  

im trying to connect via the S2 app on iPhone but it gets stuck at the recognising my email address “something went wrong”. I can login and connect on the S1 app and also on my online account so no issue with my login. 

the two pages screen grabbed below >>>»

Moderator Note: Removed personal email. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I have the same problem when using Sonos on an Iphone 15 with iOS 17. It just started happening 10/28. Can’t find the system. . Nothing works.  Interestingly,  two iPads and my wife’s iphone with iOS 16 find the sonos system fine.   No VPN on my iphone.   Is there an issue with iOS 17? 

I’m running 17.1 on an iPhone 13, and two iPads, none of them have any difficulty logging in to Sonos. Any chance there is a ‘work profile’ of some type on your iPhone? Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

No  . I’m not running a work profile.  I worked with Support using Chat a couple days ago. They couldn’t resolve it. They suggested that I call during business hours.  Haven’t had chance to do that yet

Hi did you manage to resolve this issue as I’m facing the problem 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For what it’s worth, I had a similar problem.  Spent 75 minutes on the phone with support.  I resolved it.  Here’s what I learned (I have UniFi UDM-Pro and all UniFi kit for what it’s worth).

1. Primary cause was that I had incorrect DNS servers.  Now, to be fair, I had a complicated set-up with a piHole and multiple upstream DNS servers and ipv6.  When I changed the DNS servers from piHole to 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary and turned off ipv6 and threat management, hey presto it worked just fine - I was able to log in.
  2. Now eventually I ended up doing something a bit different.  I retired my piHole, and turned on DNS Shield (Auto) which does DoH (DNS over https) and defaults to Cloudflare and Google DNS servers.  I then turned back on ipv6 support and threat management, and it seems to be working.

For what it’s worth, I think this is basically what’s going on - there’s a bunch of DNS servers that don’t play nice with however Sonos is doing authentication.    That’s got to be why MS Defender also causes issues, and work VPN profiles do as well.  Someone smarter than me can run down the details, but I think that this is basically the rough version of what’s going on.  

TLDR is if you are running into the dread “Can’t log in, never even get to submit password” see if your DNS servers can be manually set to 8.8.8.8 and see if that clears it up.  In iOS, go to Settings / [your wifi network] and press the little blue i with a circle around it, go down to “Configure DNS”, switch to manual, then delete all the existing DNS servers with the red button, and then manually add 8.8.8.8.  If it works, then you have a lead, and bob’s your uncle.  Big ups to Charlie on Sonos support who finally got me through to this point.  If networking is not your game, that may not get you very far in terms of a sustainable solution - but at least you’ll know basically what the issue is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The nice thing about Pi-Hole is that it tells you all the sites it is blocking and lets you whitelist them so they work as intended. I just needed two:

(\.|^)sonos\.com$  (regex filter)

sonos.amazonmusic.com

It is also easy to enable/disable blocking while you are working with a new device.

A step up from the basic operation, you can configure Pi-Hole for specific clients so only they can bypass the filtering. Really handy for Sonos and the (horrid) Keurig smart coffee makers that has to have 60 some sites bypassed to work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The nice thing about Pi-Hole is that it tells you all the sites it is blocking and lets you whitelist them so they work as intended. I just needed two:

(\.|^)sonos\.com$  (regex filter)

sonos.amazonmusic.com

It is also easy to enable/disable blocking while you are working with a new device.

A step up from the basic operation, you can configure Pi-Hole for specific clients so only they can bypass the filtering. Really handy for Sonos and the (horrid) Keurig smart coffee makers that has to have 60 some sites bypassed to work.

FWIW, I should mention that I tried exactly this regexp to whitelist Sonos.com domains - I don’t think that the PiHole itself was the issue, but something with the way I had it configured (perhaps upstream DNS servers).  My recommendation is to try manually configuring DNS to 8.8.8.8 on your iOS device in order to see if a DNS issue is what’s ailing you if you have this behavior.  

I’ll try to add the PiHole back in and see if I can make it work, and disable DNS Shield (because it overrides DNS config).  Bet I can - but it took me (and many others based on searches for the behavior) weeks of pain to figure it out, because nothing else was having any issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Might have been the upstream DNS servers, I’ve had so many issues with the ISP’s ones I quit using them and run unbound (DNS resolver) on my router. More privacy and no upstream glitches to cause grief.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @johnnymumu 

You may find this of use:

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @johnnymumu 

You may find this of use:

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry - I did try to create that whitelist before I (temporarily) kiboshed the PiHole.  I’ll try to add it back in.  I think I had some weird interaction effect between ipv6, PiHole, and the particular upstream DNS servers I’d chosen.  Right now I have IPv6 and DoH (DNS over https) running, so I know that ipv6 isn’t a priori the culprit.  But it may be that the ipv6 DNS servers I’d selected were bad.  So I have a path of attack.  This experience seems widespread enough (people who can’t get to the enter password and just get stuck on “Let’s try that again” page doom loop) that I hope that if 8.8.8.8 as a manual entry works, then they have something to work with.  But your hard work on identifying the specific servers for which functionality are much appreciated.  I also have to figure out if I can enable optimizely just for the clients that run the Sonos app… I’m not a fan of allowing full all-clients whitelist to things like optimizely :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

IPv6 can be a real problem for a lot of devices that require a static address but are connected to an ISP that uses dynamic (prefix-delegation) ones. Every time the ISP changes your prefix you must reconfigure every statically assigned IPv6 device’s address.

The best solution is to use ULA addresses (Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses) for your LAN and these devices. The quick solution is to disable IPv6 name resolution by configuring your router {if possible} to not provide DNS addresses via DHCP6 or Router Advertisements.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4193

Using the Pi-Hole Client and Group settings you can allow just your Sonos, and maybe the controllers{?} to access any sites you want to whitelist.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/group_management/example/