Answered

Can't get iTunes playlists to appear in Sonos Music Library

• 31 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Greetings,

I’m not having any luck getting my iTunes playlists to show up under Imported Playlists in the “Music Library” source. Here are my specs:

• Computer is running Windows 10
  • iTunes v12.11.0.26
  • Using the Sonos 2 app (had the same results on the Sonos 1 app, then tried updating to Sonos 2 to see if that would make any difference)
  • Sonos system is freshly updated as well
    • v12.2.2, build 61183220

What I’ve done so far:

• I don’t have my music in the “My Music” folder, but I have successfully pointed Sonos at the parent folder with that does have the albums and such in it, and can play those no problem
  • I tried exporting a few playlists as XML
    • into the parent folder that has the artists / albums as subfolders
    • also created a “playlists” folder inside the parent folder and copied the same XML files into there
  • I also tried exporting the entire iTunes library as an XML file into the parent folder

After each export of XMLs I’ve updated / re-indexed the music library, and I can still play the music, but the playlists don’t show up.

Any other suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 1 January 2021, 20:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @rkanarek.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me help you figure this out.

Sonos imports your playlists from playlist files in your shared music folder. If some or all of your Imported Playlists are missing, it means Sonos wasn’t able to find or read your playlist files. You may check this article that contains suggestions to help you find and add your missing playlists.

If the Playlist file exists in a different folder on the computer, make sure that this folder is added to Sonos, and has indexed the correct Playlist file.

• A good way to verify is to look at the last modified date of the file - most music software saves a new version of the file every time it is closed and reopened.

Please verify the playlist file's format, to ensure that the playlist file format is compatible with Sonos. 

• Sonos only supports XML, M3U, WPL, and PLS playlist files created with software like Apple iTunes Music, WinAmp, and Windows Media Player.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let me know how that goes.

Hi Annazel,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, no luck.

• Playlists have been exported as XML. I also tried exporting the whole iTunes library as XML.
  • The playlist and library XML files are placed directly in the “iTunes Music” folder which is the folder targeted by Sonos.
    • I also tried creating a “Playlists” folder as a child of the “iTunes Music” folder, copying the XML files into there, and then adding that “Playlists” folder as an additional folder targeted by Sonos.

I submitted my system diagnostics - confirmation number: 1839353387

Thanks for your help!

Hi Annazel,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, no luck.

• Playlists have been exported as XML. I also tried exporting the whole iTunes library as XML.
  • The playlist and library XML files are placed directly in the “iTunes Music” folder which is the folder targeted by Sonos.
    • I also tried creating a “Playlists” folder as a child of the “iTunes Music” folder, copying the XML files into there, and then adding that “Playlists” folder as an additional folder targeted by Sonos.

I submitted my system diagnostics - confirmation number: 1839353387

Thanks for your help!

An .xml file can be edited in a text editor. I would look at the track network/folder ‘paths’ in the document and if they are not correct, then do a "find and replace" to ensure that all the path entries are corrected to the actual local network path where each track resides. I would work on a copy only of the .xml file and perhaps keep a backup of the original in case of mistakes.

An .xml file can be edited in a text editor. I would look at the track network/folder ‘paths’ in the document and if they are not correct, then do a "find and replace" to ensure that all the path entries are corrected to the actual local network path where each track resides. I would work on a copy only of the .xml file and perhaps keep a backup of the original in case of mistakes.

I’m not following you here. iTunes and Sonos are looking at the same folder tree. I export the playlist from iTunes as an XML file. I look at the XML file and it has, for example:

• file://localhost/C:/…/iTunes%20Music/…/songname.mp3

Is that not the correct “local network path”?

I’m not following you here. iTunes and Sonos are looking at the same folder tree. I export the playlist from iTunes as an XML file. I look at the XML file and it has, for example:

• file://localhost/C:/…/iTunes%20Music/…/songname.mp3

Is that not the correct “local network path”?

If you can see/play the track, using the same network path, from say your mobile/tablet (as an example) then it should be fine. Editing of the .xml paths is usually only required if the iTunes music folder has been moved or copied elsewhere, such as a NAS box, (again just as an example). Ensure the music folder is also shared over the network and accessible .

Even in that scenario though, shouldn’t the playlist show up as an “Imported Playlist” and then just not be able to play any tracks with an invalid or unavailable path?

Even in that scenario though, shouldn’t the playlist show up as an “Imported Playlist” and then just not be able to play any tracks with an invalid or unavailable path?

Yes true...  My other thoughts, in trying to assist you, is to perhaps try this (just as a test) ... Sonos also supports M3U, WPL and PLS playlist files created with software like WinAmp and Windows Media Player. Maybe create a sample playlist in that (different) format in your music library folder and see if that works for you.

Badge +1

I have exactly the same problem and have also done all the above without luck. I have tried exporting the playlists as M3U in same location, no luck.  Not sure what to do next? The Library plays fine, just can’t see the playlists.  

I have exactly the same problem and have also done all the above without luck. I have tried exporting the playlists as M3U in same location, no luck.  Not sure what to do next? The Library plays fine, just can’t see the playlists.  

Just in case... Did you re-index your library after creating and putting the .m3u playlist in the folder?

Badge +1

Yes I did. Someone suggesting turning firewall off and starting from scratch adding library etc. Will give it a try and revert.

Badge +1

Just to let you know, turning the firewall off has worked and the playlists are through but only the M3U files not the XLM.