Can't add Apple Music

• 1 October 2021
  • 41 replies

Show first post

41 replies

I know how to add a service, this is the work around MikeMc24 is discussing.  Since having to reauthorize Apple I no longer have the ability to play Apple Music.  If I try to add Apple Music to Sonos, I get the spinning and then blank page.

So you have the 3.8.0 version of Apple Music installed? Are you able to sign in to that version? If so, I would try adding to Sonos a little while later. For me, I initially had the spinning and blank screen, but tried again later and it worked. May also help to clear apps and reopen.

Userlevel 1

I've tried using my husband's iPhone to add apple music, but his iPhone uses his apple music account so I still can't use my apple music service.... we have very different music taste, so if prefer to add my apple music account. Its there a way to do this or have I missed something?

There’s not a lot to suggest, if you’re unable to update your devices to run the latest S1 software. Id be tempted to have a friend come over and try adding the Apple ecosystem, but would be worried that to be able to do so, then need to update the system on your Sonos to the current version, in which case your current devices wouldn’t likely be able to connect any more either.

I’m assuming that you’ve done the full ‘reboot’ process, of course, by unplugging all the Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, rebooting your router. There’s a slight possibility of forcing both the Sonos and the router to reload their respective OS, that you may be able to move forward….but I think it’s a low chance. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It is the latest Sonos S1 app on both the Android 11 devices. Latest Android release and latest Apple Music app as well.

And yes, full reboot of the Sonos devices was one of the things I tried with Sonos support, not that it should have anything to do with this,

Why does Sonos have to make the process of adding Apple Music service so restrictive?  It leaves Android 11 as the only option. I’m running it on a Moto G Power phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab A7.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Why does Sonos have to make the process of adding Apple Music service so restrictive?  It leaves Android 11 as the only option. I’m running it on a Moto G Power phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab A7.

This is Apple’s decision, not Sonos’. Apple originally only supported their hardware when authorizing Apple Music, but eventually added Android support. They have never allowed PCs to auth for Sonos.

No matter how many threads you post this on, the CEO of Sonos can’t force Apple to fix the bug. If the issue had been on Sonos’ side of things, it likely would have been rectified long before now. 

No matter how many threads you post this on, the CEO of Sonos can’t force Apple to fix the bug. If the issue had been on Sonos’ side of things, it likely would have been rectified long before now. 

Bruce - you appear to know that Sonos is not the issue, how?  If not, why would Sonos not advise of such, rather than keep Android users out?

Bruce is right, this appears to be an issue with the auth flow through the Apple app on Android. As every other service works, and the code on the Sonos side is identical for all of them, this looks like Apple’s problem to solve.

I emailed the Sonos CEO, who passed it along to a supervisor who told me they don't have a time frame to correct this. He also suggested I contact Apple. The Apple contact was very nice, but couldn't correct the issue. This morning I added Apple Music to my Alexa and told Alexa to play Apple Music through my Sonos speakers which it did without issue. That's my workaround for now. Adding the Apple Music service to Alexa was seamless. Not sure why Sonos/Apple can't iron out this issue. Just one point, I am all android, no Apple devices involved, just a Pixel 5.

I don’t “know”, I’m making an educated guess. Sonos has been wrong in the past, since I’ve been a member of this forum, these last 10 years or so. They’ve always admitted when the issue was on their side, and promised that in an upcoming software release, they’d be fixing the problem. 

On the other hand, Sonos is a company that relies on its partners to provide content for their speakers to play. It would be unusual for a company to accuse one of their partners of malfeasance, essentially “throwing them under the bus”. It would likely sour the relationship and ultimately mess up any long term goals that they would hope to achieve as a partner. 

My educated guess is, given that there’s been several Sonos software updates since this issue has appeared, and there’s no official statement from Sonos that they’ve made an error, and will be fixing it “soon”, it leads me to believe that the issue is on the Apple side, where Sonos has little ability to force change, or indeed increase the level of concern at Apple to address this issue.

But, as you point out, I’m not 100% sure. It could still be a Sonos issue….but the length of time since it’s been discovered, with no admission of it being something they will be able to fix is telling to me. 

Bruce is right, this appears to be an issue with the auth flow through the Apple app on Android. As every other service works, and the code on the Sonos side is identical for all of them, this looks like Apple’s problem to solve.

I emailed the Sonos CEO, who passed it along to a supervisor who told me they don't have a time frame to correct this. He also suggested I contact Apple. The Apple contact was very nice, but couldn't correct the issue. This morning I added Apple Music to my Alexa and told Alexa to play Apple Music through my Sonos speakers which it did without issue. That's my workaround for now. Adding the Apple Music service to Alexa was seamless. Not sure why Sonos/Apple can't iron out this issue. Just one point, I am all android, no Apple devices involved, just a Pixel 5.

One addition to this. It seems to play all my music from my Apple Music library, without much control over what is playing, but better than nothing....

Badge

Glad I found this. I have had this issue many times (on Android) and it has always been what browser was set as default (for me DuckDuckGo). Usually when I change the default browser to something else (say Edge) and reboot the phone it works (as all the app is doing is opening up a browser session).

That said, even this hack does not work for me this time (though worth someone else trying - I’m on a Xiaomi phone). Will try the log out of Apple Music app workaround and see if that works…...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I now have the issue that I can add the account, and it goes through the motions to authenticate (or re-authenticate), but clearly it doesn’t as it states ‘Unable to browse music’…. I (obviously) have an Apple ID and a good phone number for 2FA. Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m having the same issue. 

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/12/03/unable-to-add-apple-music-to-sonos-using-android-you-are-not-alone/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=grow.me&utm_campaign=grow_share_widget

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

This issue is now fixed. It was fixed a few days ago in the back-end services with no change to either the Sonos app or the Apple Music app. No announcement or explanation from Sonos or Apple.

Unfortunately there is now a new issue with Apple Music for some people. Apple has added new 2FA that requires you to have either a phone number or an existing Apple device linked to your Apple account. If you don’t have this, or you no longer have access to the old phone number or Apple device, you cannot link Apple Music to Sonos.

MikeMc24 - Thank you for the work around, it worked.  Took some time to show, just like you said.

Badge

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I now have the issue that I can add the account, and it goes through the motions to authenticate (or re-authenticate), but clearly it doesn’t as it states ‘Unable to browse music’…. I (obviously) have an Apple ID and a good phone number for 2FA. Any help would be much appreciated.