Can't add Apple Music

• 1 October 2021
  • 41 replies

Show first post

41 replies

Badge

Yup, that workaround will only work with an Apple device if you have one in your household. Every Android device I have tried does not work, or I couldn't download the Sonos app to it....

Hmm, that’s painful as you have to log out of ‘Media & Purchases’ on the iPhone, add the service in Sonos which then auto adds your account to the device you are using. So you then need to log back out of ‘Media & Purchases’ and then log back in with the original users account…. A real pain, but it did work

Thank you Marky. I am using a Pixel 5 phone. Not sure the equivalent of Media and Purchases. I did try to logout from Apple Music, then add to Sonos, but still get the blank screen. Thank you for the information.

Badge

Hmm, that’s painful as you have to log out of ‘Media & Purchases’ on the iPhone, add the service in Sonos which then auto adds your account to the device you are using. So you then need to log back out of ‘Media & Purchases’ and then log back in with the original users account…. A real pain, but it did work

Badge

Glad I found this. I have had this issue many times (on Android) and it has always been what browser was set as default (for me DuckDuckGo). Usually when I change the default browser to something else (say Edge) and reboot the phone it works (as all the app is doing is opening up a browser session).

That said, even this hack does not work for me this time (though worth someone else trying - I’m on a Xiaomi phone). Will try the log out of Apple Music app workaround and see if that works…...

I am having the same issue with blank screen trying to add Apple Music. Hoping it's fixed soon.

I've got this same issue, when is the release for the fix expected. Pain in the backside 

Log out of his account on the Apple app on his phone, and log in to your account on his phone. Then use the Sonos controller to set up your account in Sonos. Once you’ve set it up, you can then log out of the Apple app on his phone, and allow him to sign back in. In the meantime, your Sonos should now have both accounts set up. 

I don’t have a spouse with which to test this, but it should work. 

Userlevel 1

I've tried using my husband's iPhone to add apple music, but his iPhone uses his apple music account so I still can't use my apple music service.... we have very different music taste, so if prefer to add my apple music account. Its there a way to do this or have I missed something?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same problem here too. Blank white screen. Sonos support have said in Live Chat (twice) it's an issue they're aware of and are working to sort it. But in the meantime to borrow an iOS device add it from there, as it's an Android issue…

(Edit: I see there are many threads on this now, confirming that adding Apple Music to Sonos via Android isn't working, so looks like I'll borrow an iPhone or wait.)

I have the same problem.  I was recently gifted 12 months of Apple music and I can't even use it. It's unacceptable. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

however, it may fail with S2 as well - I don’t know!

Yes, it fails with S2 app as well.

Sonos have admitted they are aware of the problem. It’s on their urgent “To Do (sometime, maybe, when we get around to it)” list.

I have the same problem and have tried uninstalls/reinstalls of both the Sonos s1 app and Apple music app on multiple android devices.  No luck. This started when I updated my Apple password and had to do the same in Sonos - just got the white screen when trying to update the password.  I then removed the Apple service from Sonos and tried to re-add it but just get the white screen again.  Seems like a bug when Sonos tries to authenticate.  They could be forcing an upgrade to Sonos S2 app; however, it may fail with S2 as well - I don’t know!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I figured that might be the case with Apple, since the message on the Fire tablet is that you must authorize on a cell phone. That’s completely silly of course since the Apple Music app itself accepts a simple login authorization on Windows.

Be that as it may, it still looks like Sonos has to fix a bug on Android 11 here. I’ve found a number of other people with the same problem, e.g.:

What annoys me most with this type of problem is that Sonos plays dumb and wastes a lot of people’s time trying diagnostic measures when the problem has already been reported and they know it’s a bug. They either have the worst PR tracking system in the world, or their agents don’t have access or don’t bother to use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Why does Sonos have to make the process of adding Apple Music service so restrictive?  It leaves Android 11 as the only option. I’m running it on a Moto G Power phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab A7.

This is Apple’s decision, not Sonos’. Apple originally only supported their hardware when authorizing Apple Music, but eventually added Android support. They have never allowed PCs to auth for Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It is the latest Sonos S1 app on both the Android 11 devices. Latest Android release and latest Apple Music app as well.

And yes, full reboot of the Sonos devices was one of the things I tried with Sonos support, not that it should have anything to do with this,

Why does Sonos have to make the process of adding Apple Music service so restrictive?  It leaves Android 11 as the only option. I’m running it on a Moto G Power phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab A7.

There’s not a lot to suggest, if you’re unable to update your devices to run the latest S1 software. Id be tempted to have a friend come over and try adding the Apple ecosystem, but would be worried that to be able to do so, then need to update the system on your Sonos to the current version, in which case your current devices wouldn’t likely be able to connect any more either.

I’m assuming that you’ve done the full ‘reboot’ process, of course, by unplugging all the Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, rebooting your router. There’s a slight possibility of forcing both the Sonos and the router to reload their respective OS, that you may be able to move forward….but I think it’s a low chance.