Skip to main content
Question

Best Configuration for Sonos with a Ubiquiti Network (after new app)

• 20 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey all. have a pretty decent sonos and UI setup, and it's worked pretty well for years based on the feedback in this thread. (similar feedback on reddit, etc)

https://community.ui.com/questions/An-optimal-configuration-for-a-Unifi-Managed-Network-and-Sonos/4819df0b-cc15-43b1-8f8f-4ca36c486f1c

But now, based on all the changes they've made to the new system (app/cloud, etc)... it's very intermittent. It's been a mess (as I'm sure you know). I'm just looking to see if anyone had any ideas on the next best way to set things up, as it seems the old way may not be appropriate anymore.

Currently I have about 10 zones, all S2 compatible. Following the old advice:

• all hardwired when possible, with wifi off on those devices.
  • No devices daisy chained.
  • Those ports set to STP, with the priorities setup appropriately.
  • Using my own 2.4 wifi channel (not sonosnet). (since I also have a Roam).
  • IGNP Snooping ON
  • IoT Auto-discovery OFF (these are NOT on a VLAN)

UI setup is typical setup of a mix of switches and APs, managed by UXG Gateway.

if you look on the Sonos site, there is a recommendation that either all devices are wired, or wifi, but no mix. Problem is that it doesn't state the time of the article, but I'm pretty sure it was before this app mess.

3 replies

Defiantly prior to the mess. Also, note that the Dream Machine Pro’s network ports do not support STP. Yes, there is an STP option, but it is simply passed on to UBIQUITI managed switches as a default. I don’t recommend wiring any SONOS units directly to the Pro. Wiring to properly configured switches is fine.

Defiantly prior to the mess. Also, note that the Dream Machine Pro’s network ports do not support STP. Yes, there is an STP option, but it is simply passed on to UBIQUITI managed switches as a default. I don’t recommend wiring any SONOS units directly to the Pro. Wiring to properly configured switches is fine.

Since i don’t have a Dream Machine… recommend no change to setting and just wait to see if Sonos fixes their mess? 😁

The new firmware uses the network differently, I don’t yet have much experience with this and UBIQIUTI. At the moment I’m not using any UBIQUITI access points.

I see intermittent SONOS user interface stalls that suggest missed or delayed responses. Unlike many other posters in the Community, I won’t claim my network is “perfect”. At times a network scan will show 70 nearby WiFi clients and there is a medical facility next door. In general network performance is OK. Some devices are wired, others wireless. I haven’t bothered to disable the radio on wired SONOS devices.

I’m not having units disappear as some users have reported, but some UI areas, such as Recently Played, do not always populate.