Answered

Apple Music playback interrupted saying 'Unable to play - the song is not encoded correctly'

Userlevel 1

When I stream songs from Apple Music via the Sonos app, playback is occasionally interrupted with a message of 'Unable to play [insert song name] - the song is not encoded correctly'.

It's unpredictable when it happens, sometimes it could be half way through a track and it occurs, also happens multiple tracks in a row. Other times it could go through multiple tracks with no issues then the error suddenly occurs.

I've done all the troubleshooting stated on the Sonos website but I'm pretty sure my setup isn't the problem because I use a Radio App and also use YouTube Music via the Sonos app with no playback issues, the error just happens with Apple Music.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Suggestions on a possible fix?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 May 2023, 12:20

View original

78 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Maybe a networking issue and the streaming of the song isn’t getting through well enough. Is your speaker far from the router or on a powerline extender?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Have you check this thread?

Userlevel 1

Shouldn't be an issue, I have my beam connected directly to my router via ethernet. I even followed the troubleshooting guide and tried a different ethernet cable and still the same issue.

Also strange that it only happens with Apple Music, within the Sonos App, YouTube Music works fine.

Userlevel 1

Have you check this thread?

Just looked it at, while not the exact same issue, similar experience.

Not exactly promising, general consensus over there is that Sonos support knows there's a problem but focused on trying to shift blame within a user's home network (when there isn't one considering other music services work fine) rather than working out if there's an issue between Sonos and Apple.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @markjalb 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of an issue whereby tracks uploaded to Apple Music can give a “not encoded correctly” error when attempted to play on Sonos. Apple are working on a resolution.

In the meantime, you can circumvent the issue by searching for tracks instead of browsing, or by grouping-in a speaker not in the following list:

• Amp

• Arc / Arc SL

• Beam (all generations)

• Era 100 / 300

• Five

• Move

• One / One SL

• Port

• Ray

• Roam / Roam SL

• Sub (gen 2, gen 3) / Sub Mini

• SYMFONISK products

I hope this helps.

For general info- In my case the problem is definitely linked to the files. I get this error message on some of my albums - I will get the message when I try and play the album in my library through the Sonos app, although the same track will play through the Apple Music app via airplay. Also If I search for the song/album in Apple Music via the Sonos app it will play fine, and I can solve the problem by deleting the album from my Library and adding it back in again.

That certainly suggests that the track has DRM encoded in it, and is likely an ancient download from Apple, before they stopped using DRM. I remember a couple of days when I had to delete all my old local Apple files, and download fresh, DRM free versions. Years ago, now. Maybe 2015?

It’s something like that although a lot of mine were ripped from cds but I have recently subscribed to Apple Music and since I bought my Sonos started using the Library Sync option which I believe is like the old ITunes Match 

Well, that’s certainly a different situation, not at all analogous to my suggestion. Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @markjalb 

We are aware of an issue whereby tracks uploaded to Apple Music can give a “not encoded correctly” error when attempted to play on Sonos. Apple are working on a resolution.

In the meantime, you can circumvent the issue by searching for tracks instead of browsing, or by grouping-in a speaker not in the following list:

• Amp

• Arc / Arc SL

• Beam (all generations)

• Era 100 / 300

• Five

• Move

• One / One SL

• Port

• Ray

• Roam / Roam SL

• SYMFONISK products

I hope this helps.

@Corry P -

Any update on the timetable for a solution? This is VERY disappointing.  Being able to play my own extensive Apple Music library through my networked speakers was a HUGE factor in my purchase of several Sonos speakers throughout my house.

When I worked with Apple on some issues (not music related, mind you), their engineers would never share a timeline with us, either, so it seems like @Corry P is unlikely to provide you an answer that will satisfy you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

L3 support engineer has been helping me since I emailed the CEO.  He acknowledged that the issue started with 15.2.  But he’s telling me that I’m experienced network issues.  *.  My Orbi network has been stable and unchanged and I use a Sonos Boost.  Translation: they cannot fix the issue and have no clue.  Wondering whether to dump all my Sonos gear, order the Nakamichi Dragon system, and figure how how best to lay music in different rooms. Bluesound?   This sucks.  

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Hi @markjalb 

• Amp

• Arc / Arc SL

• Beam (all generations)

• Era 100 / 300

• Five

• Move

• One / One SL

• Port

• Ray

• Roam / Roam SL

• SYMFONISK products

I hope this helps.

The fact that Sonos would suggest this as a “workaround” (which an off-shore “support” agent also did during a 15+ minute waste of my time phone call just now… Is proof that Sonos people just don’t get it.

This is NOT a workaround… It’s a painstaking way to play a single song, or album… 

It does not allow you to play a Playlist.

Seriously, stop wasting our time and just fix this.

I have this issue too - it’s annoying as I can only use all my sonos speakers for bluetooth streaming from my phone - taking all the sonos benefits away. Annoying as I have 7 Sonos speakers - which are now pretty much pointless. 

Hopefully they fix it quickly.

Here’s the best workaround.👇  Sonos blames this 100% on Apple... not sure I believe that.

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/stream-airplay-audio-to-sonos

I’ve been having this issue as well.  Odd, but some songs will play on an album, others give the error.

What I’m seeing is that the songs that cause the error have a cloud status of “Uploaded” while songs that play fine have a cloud status of “Matched”.   You can find the cloud status on your Mac in the Music app - get info on a song and click the File tab.  I have yet to figure out how to force the system to rescan the song and update the status to “Matched” though.

I’ve had to switch over to Amazon Music to search and listen to a particular album that Im unable to play on Apple Music via SONOS.   I don’t understand why this issue is happening. I have so much music that I’ve purchased from Apple and now I can’t listen to it all. 🙁

I just got hit with this problem in a weird way: tried to play the album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips through the Sonos app and hit the “not encoded correctly” error on about half the tracks.

Works fine through AirPlay and if I search for individual tracks in the Sonos app.

I don’t know what kind of “purity pledge” the software engineers took regarding what will/won’t play via the Sonos app, but this is clearly something Sonos needs to handle rather than pointing fingers. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This has been going on for 4 months, they know about it but yet do nothing except wait for Apple to fix it later this year apparently. The only real workaround is to attach an older sonos speaker (play 1, 3, older 5, and old amp or connect to your group. You can mute them if you don't need sound from them, then hit play and all your Apple music will play as before regardless of upload/match status. If you happened to have “upgraded” all your equipment you are out of luck. 

The only way I can avoid this issue is run my playlist through my Playbar and then join to my other speakers.  Which, is a completely clunky way at best to resolve this as it doesn’t work when my wife is trying to watch tv in the living room where the Playbar is.  I have a literal lifetime of music in Apple and this issue really hampers the ability to play my music anywhere in my house which is why I went with the system.  Sonos seriously needs to address this issue.

Amazing that this still hasn’t been fixed.   I’ve been using my Sonos setup for years without issue, and then 4 months ago this error popped up making the whole system frustrating and unusable…   Huge fail making me question remaining in the ecosystem...

Does anyone know if Sonos has even acknowledged the issue? 

Glad to find this thread. I thought i was the only one suffering this issue, in my cas has been going on for 4 months, more or less. Please work it out as soon as possible

Userlevel 1

This is ridiculous, can’t play any Dolby Atmos tracks at all, starts playing and then complains about encoding and cuts out. Sonos advertised this feature a lot when it was coming and released and now it’s here, it’s all Apples fault and we just have to wait for a fix!! I might as well just get rid of the Beam and get a HomePod, at least I’ll be able to listen to music without constant errors that neither Sonos nor Apple seem bothered about fixing. Google the error, it’s been going on for years, and affects all services not just Apple so this is something Sonos needs to fix. They enabled support for spatial audio and now it’s broken. 😡 

Same problem. Some tracks on Apple music on SL and One fail with ‘it is encoded using an unsupported digital rights management system’. However playing on a Play 1 works. Grouping a Play 1 and SL also plays fine. Also airplay to SL works fine. Not sure if this is a failure of Apple or Sonos, but it sure does ruin the experience. I would consider the Apple Music service to be in a degraded state rather than fully operational.

I spoke to support this morning and network issues were mentioned immediately. This is not good enough. If this has been known for 4 months then the customer should be advised that you’re waiting on a fix and not to start troubleshooting connectivity issues.