Amazon/Spotify Autoplay not supported by Port?

• 12 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

I recently added a Port to my two channel system. One of the best things about Spotify (and Amazon Unlimited) is the autoplay feature, which uses a sophisticated algorithm to continue playing recommended music after your selection ends. It is not just a matter of convenience (although it does allow you to continue doing whatever you might be doing without having to stop to make a new selection, or be without music at your dinner party, for just one example, until you have a minute to do that), but it is a great way to discover new music. I’ve seen several threads (all now closed) on this issue, but no fix. To be clear, this is a Sonos issue, not a Spotify/Amazon issue. It is beyond imagination to me that a sophisticated piece of audio equipment, designed specifically for streaming apps, would somehow omit support for a critical feature of those self-same streaming apps. If I wanted to only hear what I expressly select, I might as well go back to LPs and CDs, or give up the Sonos and go to a better designer product.

Sonos, I very much like my new Port, so please fix this glaring flaw in your software - or, if I’m wrong, someone please tell me how to enable Autoplay through the Port because I am unable to figure it out, and CS told me this morning that it is not supported, apparently quoting, verbatim, one of the answers on one of the closed threads relating to this topic. (Not very helpful, honestly.)

Please add me to the growing list of customers who are disappointed and dissatisfied due to this major oversight.

Thank you.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You are sure Amazon is sending the additional autoplay music to Sonos and your Sonos is refusing to play it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“To be clear, this is a Sonos issue, not a Spotify/Amazon issue”. If indeed this only happens with Sonos you can only say just that: this only happens with Sonos. Without more technological background you cannot say who causes this. It could be Sonos, but since Sonos only plays what others send them to me it would be more logical to conclude this is a Spotify or Amazon issue - but I do not know this for certain either.

Just out of curiosity I tried to search for a song on Spotify (I do not subscribe to Amazon Music). I played ‘Telstar’ by the Tornados, after which Spotify played The The with ‘Perfect’ and then The The again, ‘Sweet bird of truth’. The last songs where chosen by Spotify, not me and are not part of a playlist I made in the past. So, beside the fact I question the algorithm that would let follow the Tornados be followed by The The, the question arises why this dies not work on your system. Or do you chose the number you start with differently?

Badge

Hmmm… First, thank you both for replying. Sonos CS says that the Autoplay feature is not supported, although they did not state a specific reason. From my end, my accounts (on both Spotify and Amazon) are set to autoplay, and it works if I use my Spotify/Amazon app and AirPlay it to the Port, but not if I use the Sonos app (which sounds better to my ear and is my preferred method of doing it).  I would have expected all of my preferences to be carried over to the Sonos app, but I cannot find any way to make the Autoplay selection separately on the Sonos interface. When you got it to work on Spotify @106rallye, were you using your Spotify app via airplay, or going direct through the Sonos app, because I think the Sonos app is the pinch point?

Idk if that clears up my question, but I appreciate your assistance.

✌🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Strat1117

As far as I know all streaming services support „autoplay“ (in my words seamless continuing) just for their own clients. Spotify, Amazon Music and any other service controlled via Sonos app ist one NOT one of their own clients. They use Sonos API… and for that they (the service) don’t support the feature. I can confirm that also for Deezer. Deezer offers such a function but it’s not supported on Sonos. 
Don‘t know if that would be possible via API at all. 

Badge

Thank you @Schlumpf. Sounds like it might be a licensing issue or something like that. I suppose it’d be up to the lawyers to figure out, if enough people even care.

✌🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thank you @Schlumpf. Sounds like it might be a licensing issue or something like that. I suppose it’d be up to the lawyers to figure out, if enough people even care.

✌🏼

Not sure anyway but I think it would need some engineering work they won’t spend money on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I could have been clearer: my search was done on the Sonos app.

I have been looking for a way to turn Autoplay off.  I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited and my primary use of my Sonos Move is to play music by asking Alexa for specific tracks/albums/stations (and the weather forecast).  I have autoplay turned off on my desktop and on my iPhone and iPad but I can’t find a way to disable it in Sonos.  Any thoughts?