Skip to main content
Question

After the update this week, my Sonos can no longer access my iTunes Music Library.

I am running Windows 10 and the music is all digital on both my C drive and the Cloud.  After the update, now Sonos can no longer see/read my Apple Music Library.  My whole system is now basically useless.  I can bluetooth to my Move but … really?  if that’s all i want to do I don’t need Sonos.This worked fine until the update.  No warnings.  Nothing.  Just no longer works.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Since the last major Sonos update I can’t access iTunes Playlists on my Mac.  Sonos has been unable to help at all.  I’ve been on the telephone for hours with them.  Apple tech even tried to help me yesterday for over an hour and he concluded that the issue needs to be sorted out by Sonos.  When will this happen?  My iTunes playlist are my ONLY source of music, and it’s been that way since purchasing Sonos over 12 years ago.

Any one had any success ?

Any one had any success ?

Plenty of people have had success following these updated instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mine is working again. I even let it update again. BUT I am on Windows. 

I had to go into Windows and share the folder(s) w My Music library to the Sonos app that I could see on my internet. Then go back into Manage and reselect in Sonos. I have access to my local music on my C drive and to my playlists, which are imported from iTunes. The app itself, on my iPhone,seems to have lost some functionality and Sonos gets confused more easily over what’s playing on what speakers but it is basically back to working. I figured out the fix by reading the Sonos Community Blog, not Sonos Support.  They seemed as confused as everyone else    

Userlevel 2
Badge

i did this fix back in the begin of June and it has been working since

I spent literally hours on the telephone with Sonos people who didn’t know of this issue and could not help me solve it.  Eventually, I found a Sonos technician who knew a workaround solution and it has been working fine ever since.  So, THERE IS A SOLUTION!  He pointed out that you can play your Sonos playlist any time FROM the iTunes APP TO your Sonos speakers.  So, as an alternative to the Sonos issue, you could try that.

The library feature is working fine here in the new Sonos App - I use a copy of an iTunes library on a NAS (SMB v2/3 share) - it beats leaving a computer running all day and is really convenient - it even powers off/on daily to a set schedule.

Sadly  I had a technician once who couldn't solve it.

I have called numerous times ,waited twenty minutes to be just disconnected.

I have a Mac OS Catalina and m1 which started shadowing iTunes library etc since update….stumped

Sadly  I had a technician once who couldn't solve it.

I have called numerous times ,waited twenty minutes to be just disconnected.

I have a Mac OS Catalina and m1 which started shadowing iTunes library etc since update….stumped

Maybe see if this LINK will assist you to resolve your issue.

Userlevel 1

I have given up on Sonos but still follow the thread.  I clicked through to the LINK and was greeted by an ad.  Aw Com’on.

RE:  Loss of Music Library as a Sonos Music Option

This happened following a Sonos update in May, 2024.  Sonos didn’t foresee this issue and will fix it in a future Sonos update (they say mid-Jun, 2024).  [that didn’t happen].  The following describes a work around I learned from an upper level Sonos tech on a phone call to me on June 11, 2024.  I made these notes shortly thereafter.  Hopefully my memory was correct.  Basically, the workaround involves setting up a new User named Sonos…

I’ll describe how Sonos has set this up for me, right now (I’m still using it today, July 12, 2024) …

Apple > System Settings > General > File Sharing (turn on, then click on the info button).

Sonos is set up as a User with Read & Write permissions.  Click on Options (bottom of screen) > Turn “on” (check) Sonos & John Doe.  Turn “on” (check) “Share files and folders using SMB”.  Any Password that was used = “password”.  DONE!

Go to Apple > System Settings > General

NOTE:  Local hostname is “Johns-MacBook-Pro”.  You can read this near the bottom of the screen.  this is the path or hostname you will need when you set up the new User in the Sonos App.

SONOS > Manage > Music Library > Settings > Folders.  It is now set up and working as Folder: Music; Path:  /Users//johndoe/Music

In the future, if you need to set this up again using this same work-around

SONOS > Manage > Music Library > Settings > Folders > click on the + > Add Music Folder > Network device > then type in the path “johns-MacBook-Pro.

AN ALTERNATE WAY TO PLAY YOUR SONOS MUSIC LIBRARY, including PLAYLISTS when the Sonos App is not working - vie Apple Airplay. 

Click on the Apple “Music” App.  This is where ALL of your iTunes are located.  You can see all hter.  You can see the Playlists.  Here you can click on any specific song OR a Playlist.  Example - Click on a specific Playlist.  Then look on the top, right menu bar for a RED, circle-ish LOGO.  This is the Apple TV logs.  Click on that.  From the menu that appears you can choose the ROOM that you would like the music to play in, and then simply press the PLAY button and the Playlist (or whatever you choose) will start to play via Apple AirPlay.

Userlevel 1

All of this would not have helped me as my computer is Windows.  I don’t have users on my computer and don’t want to try managing them just for this.  What did I do?  I bought Apple speakers and can play just fine.  As I was typing this I got a survey asking if I would recommend Sonos speakers because the community is welcoming.  I feel welcome by the community but not by the company.

All of this would not have helped me as my computer is Windows.  I don’t have users on my computer and don’t want to try managing them just for this.  What did I do?  I bought Apple speakers and can play just fine.  As I was typing this I got a survey asking if I would recommend Sonos speakers because the community is welcoming.  I feel welcome by the community but not by the company.

And your Apple speakers can access your library over a share? Or you using iCloud music library? Only I’m sure Apple only support SMBv2 (or higher) shares aswell - long before Sonos switched to SMBv2 (or higher) with their latest App?

this sucks big time.

Can we get a solution?

this sucks big time.

Can we get a solution?

The solution is to share any local library using SMBv2 or higher. Perhaps see if this Sonos Support link might assist you to resolve the issue:

this sucks big time.

Can we get a solution?

The solution is to share any local library using SMBv2 or higher. Perhaps see if this Sonos Support link might assist you to resolve the issue:

Thanks Ken but that attachment gives everything except an Aussie contact # .The  Australian Sonos technicians are currently overwhelmed and not taking any calls .

Since the update , I can’t access anything via Sonos on my library

this sucks big time.

Can we get a solution?

Thanks Ken but that attachment gives everything except an Aussie contact # .The  Australian Sonos technicians are currently overwhelmed and not taking any calls .

So have you shared your library folders using SMBv2 (or higher?). If not, then that link shows what you need to do. You haven’t elaborated on the type of share you’re using, otherwise I might have been able to point you to some further support links too.

this sucks big time.

Can we get a solution?

So have you shared your library folders using SMBv2 (or higher?). If not, then that link shows what you need to do. You haven’t elaborated on the type of share you’re using, otherwise I might have been able to point you to some further support links too.

No, File sharing won't allow from any devices 

No, File sharing won't allow from any devices.

So did you follow the instructions provided in the link I posted earlier to setup your local library share using the higher version of the SMB protocol?

No, File sharing won't allow from any devices.

So did you follow the instructions provided in the link I posted earlier to setup your local library share using the higher version of the SMB protocol?

yes

yes

It should work then. What were the steps you took to setup the share? And how did you add/index the library?

yes

It should work then. What were the steps you took to setup the share? And how did you add/index the library?

I have a sonos tech online now 

Ok all sorted now Thank you

So very very happy now !  Music<3

The tech was extremely professional 

Again, thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What did the tech (have you) do?

Located all the information needed to realign with Sonos and apples safety agreements making it much safer .