Skip to main content
Question

After the update this week, my Sonos can no longer access my iTunes Music Library.

I am running Windows 10 and the music is all digital on both my C drive and the Cloud.  After the update, now Sonos can no longer see/read my Apple Music Library.  My whole system is now basically useless.  I can bluetooth to my Move but … really?  if that’s all i want to do I don’t need Sonos.This worked fine until the update.  No warnings.  Nothing.  Just no longer works.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Userlevel 1

Same problem here, all my music on pc and cannot access I tunes, tried to contact Sonos but bot cannot help and other avenues completely jammed up.

what can I do?

Was going to update amp but now thinking of changing to another system because this is awful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Local library search and play returns in June:

It has been suggested in other threads you can still instigate play if using a pc as your Sonos controller. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

i have read from others it has something to do w permissions on the My Music path. but i tried to ensure those were R/W and it “said” it was indexing my music but after 20 hours, it was still just spinning. so now i’m waiting for Monday to try to get Sonos on the phone. we are having a party today so really sucks. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

if i have to wait for june, this is the end of sonos for me. 

Same for me - can’t get the itunes link back whatever I try.

Userlevel 1

Like many of you, I discovered I’ve lost access to my music library and playlists on Sonos. I am not a music streamer, and only use Sonos to play from my music library. This app “upgrade” is a total and complete disaster. Sonos should have notified users that this was coming and provided an “opt out” from the upgrade. I see on their website they intend to correct this problem by mid-June. That is an unacceptable timeline given the thousands of users who are complaining about this. Restoring access to our music libraries and playlists should be Sonos’ highest priority.  I too will junk my Sonos equipment if this is not fixed in June.

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem with a Windows 11 PC.  My music is on an external hard drive and access is denied.  Fortunately I have much of it on my phone and can listen in the car.

Can’t access my music library . This is farcical .I have thousands of songs there. I’m a working musician and rely on it. Surely this constitutes some consumer protection? The product is no longer” fit for purpose”. Come on Sonos, please rectify this , otherwise I’ll throw the whole lot out and start again with another service .

Same issue on my MAC. Fix this now. Are you reading these messages, SONOS??? Stop advertising the new headphones and fix this problem.

BEWARE SONOS - I MIGHT NOT BE THE ONLY CUSTOMER THAT YOU RISK LOSING!

GET IT SORTED

I’m sort of glad it isn’t just me. Is this worldwide? How do we get in touch with sonos? This is unacceptable!

Userlevel 2
Badge

(800) 680-2345

that is the customer service line

i spoke to someone yesterday

mine is working now. it seems they may have pushed some fixes monday?

but what i did was go into the Windows music folder, where my music is all stored, and shared that folder to Sonos on the network.  then i went back into Sonos and re-added my Music Library under Music Library Settings pointing to said shared folder.  that “may” have helped but not right away  my music just reappeared when i looked tuesday morning  it had been missing since i did the update on friday.

the tech had no idea why it reappeared, which is not exactly comforting

Just had a useless chat with sonos support. Same boilerplate b.s. The app is awesome and will get better in a few weeks. yeah, we really needed a new app for a sleep timer. I now have a house full of useless speakers.

I am running Windows 10 and the music is all digital on both my C drive and the Cloud.  After the update, now Sonos can no longer see/read my Apple Music Library.  My whole system is now basically useless.  I can bluetooth to my Move but … really?  if that’s all i want to do I don’t need Sonos.This worked fine until the update.  No warnings.  Nothing.  Just no longer works.

After 3 long sessions with Apple and 2 with Sonos with not too much success I spoke with one of Sonos resellers who were most helpful and partly solved the problem. This company didn’t know about the problem until I phoned them this morning. They immediately investigated the problem with Sonos and found many people on Sonos Community with the same problem. Apparently it appears Sonos has released their new upgrade without full testing which has caused the problem with iTunes unable to merge with Sonos. Probably something to do with the release of their new headphones.

The suggestion is, if you have a Sonos Play 5 speaker you can connect it to your iMac or MacBook with a 3.5mm headphone cable. You can then play music from your iTunes library and the sound will play on this speaker. As you add additional speakers the sound will also play and all speakers will appear in the Sonos app and you can control them as normal. This was great news and today was the first day since last Sunday that I was once again able to play my music and not feel that my Sonos system was useless. Any Sonos speaker that has a headphone socket can be used. Apparently Sonos will be doing a new upgrade in approximately 2 weeks and hopefully we will all be able to get back to using our Sonos as before. So a couple of weeks to wait. Hope this helps. I presume this may also work with a PC.

Ugh - same problem with accessing the iTunes library.  I used to be able to find it in my library on the Sonos app but now. . . . . can’t find anything!  This is totally unacceptable.  I’m not a computer expert and just want to listen to my music without having to reconfigure my system or become a programmer. From what I see, it’s not getting fixed and there is no way to go back to the old app.  Tried to contact Sonos by phone but was advised I had a 50 minute wait.  What can we do????? C’mon Sonos, fix this!!!!!

This is beyond annoying and totally useless. In March, I was forced to upgrade from an old Connect to a Port because of an app update, and now the Port can’t do what I want it to do because I can’t access my own library on a NAS. Therefore, it is not fit for purpose and as that is a breach of my rights under UK consumer law I have tried to ask for my money back. Getting through to Sonos tough is harder than breaking into Fort Knox. The rest of the kit will get used in a limited fashion until I move again, at which point it is going on ebay - hopefully there will still be enough mugs around to buy it. Shambles

Like many of you, I discovered I’ve lost access to my music library and playlists on Sonos. I am not a music streamer, and only use Sonos to play from my music library. This app “upgrade” is a total and complete disaster. Sonos should have notified users that this was coming and provided an “opt out” from the upgrade. I see on their website they intend to correct this problem by mid-June. That is an unacceptable timeline given the thousands of users who are complaining about this. Restoring access to our music libraries and playlists should be Sonos’ highest priority.  I too will junk my Sonos equipment if this is not fixed in June.

Ditto. What a * pain in the ass.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Same problem here.  My library is 150GB and like 20K songs.  So now I just can’t play it with my sonos system?  What the actual *

Any word from Sonos on the status of fixing this disaster? If I can’t play my iTunes library through my Sonos system then these speakers will just be expensive paperweights…..

So, i was able to get this working by going to my itunes music folder and making it a shared folder on my network, then going back into sonos and pointing to music library.

It would not work just pointing to the library without sharing it first.

Took about 3 hours for it to index the music library again…..

Ditto. What a * pain in the ass.

I see they monitor these forums for code of conduct, but apparently not to troubleshoot or help us. Typical.

Moderator edit: We love to, but we are currently tied up with just reading all the posts coming in. We will get round to addressing concerns once things die down enough that we have enough time in the day. This is not a support channel, however - if you need help, please call our support team.

6/5/2024

Today’s app update helped. I could get my itunes library back, but it can’t find my current playlists. It has all the old playlists from 10years ago? I’ve added permissions to the 2 hard drives for sonos/itunes. Also added permissions to the individual folders. Any other ideas guys? We’re getting closer! 😀

Help. I’ve been trying to get my iTunes playlists back since the update. I’ve tried everything in these forums, and can’t seem to point sonos to the correct folder. Please help? 
Thank you
-chaz

Also want to chirp that not having access to my 2k+ songs I've already paid for really sucks without access to my music library. Sharing the music folder on the network produced zero results for me Sonos still unable to add the folder.

Ok guys, don’t know if there was another app update or not….but I got the sonos app to see my playlists. I opened iTunes, and File> Library> Export Library…  I exported to my Music folder. Then opened the sonos app Manage> Music Library Settings> added the Music folder. Then the sonos app went to work, and my iTunes playlists are back! I hope this helps you guys!